Author Topic: Heya From the Dirty, Dirty South  (Read 1741 times)

Offline tj_gee

Heya From the Dirty, Dirty South
« on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 22:09:04 »
I'm TJ and I'm a mechanical keyboard addict. Okay, not really. Too much.

My first mech was a CM Storm Quikfire Rapid w/ MX Blues. Loved the clicky-ness for a about a year before I tired of it. Then I picked up a CM Storm Rapid SI w/ MX Browns off of a sale post over on Reddit. I used that for maybe 6 months before I picked up a Poker II with MX Clears. I used that for another 3 or so months before I snagged a Poker II with Ergo Clears. Definitely love those and don't see myself trying another board until I convince myself to buying a GON NerD 60.

I do IT work now, but I spent a year in college as a Electrical Engineering Technology student and loved soldering stuff together. I think mechanical keyboards will be a great hobby for me once I get used to the iron again. Maybe I can spare some money somehow between my car, my PC, and my girlfriend.

Offline scubaste

Re: Heya From the Dirty, Dirty South
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 22:11:59 »
Hello and welcome!  :)

Offline slaction

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 23:58:58 »
Welcome.  I'm in the same boat on the GON.  :-X

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 17:26:57 »
From one Louisianian to another -- welcome!

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 07:47:05 »
Greetings from Florida! :cool: Welcome to geekhack!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:34:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Only 4 hobbies?  You're luckier than some ;)

It's also good that you have tried a few different switches and found your (current) ideal switch.  Just don't deviate into Topre or buckling spring - two whole new worlds of keyboard expenses await you there :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tj_gee

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 17:47:46 »
I don't want to even think about trying Topre, but everyone here seems to freak out about how awesome it is. I might have to try it. Just once board won't hurt...

Offline the aether

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 18:48:43 »
I don't want to even think about trying Topre, but everyone here seems to freak out about how awesome it is. I might have to try it. Just once board won't hurt...

Don't do it! You will be hooked! :P Cherry MX blue used to be my favorite switch before I tried out a Topre :)
But that said, not everyone loves them. I'd recommend trying it before buying if you can. I didn't as I couldn't find friend who owned one, but luckily it worked out for me. Unfortunately EliteKeyboards.com does not have a very lenient return policy.

Offline tj_gee

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 19:06:02 »
Hadn't heard of elitekeyboards, so thanks for adding another store to shop at during downtime at work! And I'm loving my ergo clears more and more each day. I have a Shine 4 coming in with blacks tomorrow though. It'll be my work board. I tried some reds at a friend's and didn't like how soft they were. Thinking I may have to turn the Shine 4 into a superblack board if I don't like stock black switches.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 14:17:07 »
Welcome! More southerners represent ^^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 23:03:47 »

Not everyone freaks out, and not everyone freaks out in the same direction, but yes, Topre has a strong following here :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tj_gee

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 17:16:01 »
But it has a RUBBER DOME!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:36:35 »
But it has a RUBBER DOME!

But such a wonderful feeling of oneness with cup rubber :p