Author Topic: Just wanted to introduce myself.  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Jdawg424

Just wanted to introduce myself.
« on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 18:52:33 »
Hey guys, I'm jdawg424 and I browse reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards often and I have heard good things about this place. The first mech I ever owned was a razer blackwidow ultimate and since then I've been in love with mechanical keyboards. After my razer blackwidow ultimate's switches started to break I bought the keyboard I currently have, the Logitech g710+ which has been good. I'm now looking to get a 60% keyboard to save space. 

Well thanks for reading guys, i'm glad to be here.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Just wanted to introduce myself.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 18:58:41 »
We started out with the same keyboard :D. Welcome to Geekhack, hope you enjoy your time here.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 18:59:30 »
Hey guys, I'm jdawg424 and I browse reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards often and I have heard good things about this place. The first mech I ever owned was a razer blackwidow ultimate and since then I've been in love with mechanical keyboards. After my razer blackwidow ultimate's switches started to break I bought the keyboard I currently have, the Logitech g710+ which has been good. I'm now looking to get a 60% keyboard to save space. 

Welcome!  Make sure to check out the frequently asked questions thread, tons of info there to get you on your way. 
As for 60% boards, there are a bunch to choose from.  My 2 cents is to save a little more and buy a custom (gon/infinity/ctrl/alt60) and get the switches you want and have the sense of pride that you built it yourself.

In before:  buy HHKB and be happy  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 19:02:48 »
Time to go find yourself a Kish.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Jdawg424

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 19:10:12 »

Welcome!  Make sure to check out the frequently asked questions thread, tons of info there to get you on your way. 
As for 60% boards, there are a bunch to choose from.  My 2 cents is to save a little more and buy a custom (gon/infinity/ctrl/alt60) and get the switches you want and have the sense of pride that you built it yourself.

In before:  buy HHKB and be happy  :thumb:

I'm just not sure about building my own keyboard due to the fact that one mistake can cost me a lot of money. I have never used a solder gun or anything.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:20:44 »
Welcome! It's a daunting and fearful task of assembling a keyboard when you've never done it before, but it can be really rewarding to build your own instead of buying from someone if you can manage it :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 01:36:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You heard good things about GH from Reddit? :eek:

Anyway, there's lots of 60% keyboards to choose from.  And if you're too attached to the arrow keys, you could consider a Leopold FC660M or FC660C - 60% with arrows :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ