Author Topic: ADAMSKI CAPWORKS - INTRODUCTION  (Read 1880 times)

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
ADAMSKI CAPWORKS - INTRODUCTION
« on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 23:00:35 »
Thread edited as my introduction thread.  :thumb:

INTRODUCTION:

Hey guys! I'm Adam a.k.a. adamski07, adamskimodz, and fudorekz12. I'm that guy who loves DIY and everything that will keep my busy during weekends or whenever I have free time. Every time I find cool stuffs on the internet, I would always wonder how they make those so I always end up doing/making my own. so I actually started back 2011 on PC modding. This was also the year I first modded my custom PC. Then next project came with all the sponsors offering free hardware. It was also the time where Cooler Master had their international PC modding contest. I won 2nd place with my Project Imagination

How did I get into mechanical keyboards?

More
Around May 2015, this guy on a PC enthusiast group on Facebook posted this really cool keyset for his weird small keyboard(Datamancer Typewriter Keys on a Poker 2) . Back then, I had no idea with different sizes of keyboard and these unknown brand of keyboard. I was only aware of the mainstream keyboards on the market, but I've seen some before I just didn't have any interest with them. After seeing that, that's where I started searching and digging the internet for more keyboards stuffs. I joined a Facebook group for keyboard enthusiasts, recovered my reddit account and then I subbed to r/mk and mechmarket. I also found out about GH around that time. So the research is on and to decide what will be my first custom keyboard. After few weeks of searching, ordering, and waiting for all the stuffs, I built my first custom keyboard. It felt awesome to finally build my first custom mkb. After building that one, I got my self a HHKB Pro 2, bought keycaps in the aftermarket, started joining GBs and bought more keyboards goodies.

I posted this back in July on reddit. This is what my Battlestation looks like:

How did I ended up making my own caps?

More
So being unlucky, cursed, and hopeless of having/winning these awesome artisan keycaps, I decided to create my own cap instead. In the beginning, I tried doing couple test just to see if I am capable of making my own. I'll make it short and just put up some photos below of where it all started.

This was the first cap that I made. It is a prototype with simple design. I never had a proper name for it so I named it Skull.  :))

GIF - http://imgur.com/2ogoD3e

After creating Skull, I tried making some blanks for my HHKB.

I also tried different color for the Skull. I called this one Burning Charcoal

I also have the Glacial! :)

I continued by making more Topre blanks for my HHKB(Purple & Blue) and I also created the new design for my cap, the T800.

At the same time, I started making MX caps of my own to match my other Artisan caps.

And so after having a busy month, I went back and created more T800s, now this time both in MX and Topre, triple shots with red(eyes), dark grey(head), and black(hood)

So this is everything I went thru for the last couple months and today I decided to make my own Artisan threads here on GH to feature my own keycaps. Many people asked me if I will be doing sales for these caps, but to be honest, I cannot promise anything. I might do it in the feature tho I really never had intentions to have one. As I initially mentioned  above, I just love doing these stuffs and because of that I also decided to have a giveaway together with the introduction of this thread. At the moment, I have a T800 in topre flavor, but I will be also making one in MX for those MX lovers. So if you are still reading this part, thank you for spending time reading my very long introduction and I wish you goodluck on the give away! :)  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2015, 23:05:18 by adamski07 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hey guys! Please welcome and help the new guy here! :D
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 02:54:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Ah Tai Hao - they seemed to come out of nowhere with the original yellow, red, green, blue and black sets that were around $6.50 each, and ended up being of surprisingly reasonable quality.  Then they released the PBT doubleshots as you have, Massdrop did a drop or two, and you know the rest.

The recommended reading thread will give you some good background information.

In the simple questions thread is a section on keyboard modding, that should provide some additional info.

Apart fro that it kinda depends on whether you want to design and build a keyboard from scratch, or just want to construct an existing kit.

Designing from scratch is a whole other game, and probably covered by many posts in the making stuff together section.

Building from a kit is another path to follow, and that will depend on how much you want to spend (many hundreds for a Korean custom, for example), or something a bit simpler like the GH60.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 17:02:58 »
Thank you for those information. I think I might have to go with a kit instead. I really wanted to create my own design, but that will take a while for sure. I didn't expect the price of a custom keyboard would be that really high so I guess getting a kit is the best option for me now. I've been looking since last night and found gon's site and winkeyless.kr that offers everything to build a custom keyboard. I kinda want to get them all at the same time rather than getting each part from different store so I can save a bit from shipping fees. Right now, I'm still debating on which of two kits I will get. I really can't find that much reviews for those two so I guess I have to dig in more in google for more reviews, both looks gorgeous to me tho.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:04:05 »
Cheapest to buy one ready-made as the manufacturers can get significant discounts buying in very large bulk.

Second cheapest is to buy a kit.  You can either source the parts yourself, or see if everything comes supplied at once.

Most expensive is to design and build one from scratch - you'd need CAD skills, metal working, plastics or wood for the case, and you'll still need all the switches and other electronics.

But it is very rewarding :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ