Author Topic: hello!  (Read 1844 times)

Offline hkrak

hello!
« on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 06:21:41 »
I am a 30 year old guy who have recently beome interested in (mechanical) keyboards. Have been lurking here for a while now, so thought I might register to further take part in the community. :)

My interest were intially sparked when I read about the fabled Model M. In Norway, however, these things are pretty rare, so no Model M just yet.
Instead I've bought an old NMB rubber dome keyboard (RT6455TNW), and CM Storm quickfire rapid-i.

Yesterday though, I hit the jackpot. I was on my way to the grocery store, and by chance spotted a keyboard in a garbage container in my backyard.
After convincing myself that it is okay to mess around in dumpsters, I managed to retrieve the keyboard and pressed some keys. Immediately I knew this was something special.
I went back inside, popped off a cap and underneath I found these guys:
More

Label:
More

The "b"-key was stuck and the keyboard was wet and extremely dirty, so I was not sure it actually worked. I was ecstatic though, so I went on to clean it anyways (sorry for the poor image quality):
More

In the end I managed to fix the stuck key, and testing proved the keyboard worked flawlessly. I couldn't be happier. :)

I'm afraid this won't be my last keyboard though. I'm still itching for a Model M, and I believe a 60% keyboard might be practical...

-hkrak
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 06:23:30 by hkrak »
POK3R - Acer 6083 - QFR - NMB RT102 - Focus FK2002 - Goldstar Alps

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Re: hello!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 06:13:09 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Nice find there, space invaders I believe! Cleaned up nicely, looks like it was worth the dumpster dive!  :thumb:

I'm sure you could find someone in Europe selling a Model M, that way the shipping wouldn't be so ridiculous. Keep an eye on the classifieds here, and you can also check out Deskthority. Deskthority is mainly European, and they have a heavy focus on vintage boards.

Once you find a Model M, I'm sure you'll love it! I fell in love with my first full-size Model M. Buckling springs are my favourite clicky switch, the feel is great!

The only downside to it was that it was huge, but I got my hands on an SSK and a Model F PC-AT.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline hkrak

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 04:03:54 »
Thank you!

I guess Europe is my best bet with regards to acquiring a Model M yeah, also since I'd really like one with ISO layout. I'll check out deskthority, thanks for the tip. :)
With regards to the size of it, was there ever made a tenkeyless Model M with ISO layout?

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 04:36:27 »
Thank you!

I guess Europe is my best bet with regards to acquiring a Model M yeah, also since I'd really like one with ISO layout. I'll check out deskthority, thanks for the tip. :)
With regards to the size of it, was there ever made a tenkeyless Model M with ISO layout?

Yes, they're out there, but that might be a bit of a tough find. SSKs (Space Saving Keyboard, TKL Model M) can be hard to come by, and they're usually pretty pricey. I think the ISO version is less common as well.

Watch eBay too.

Standard US ANSI SSKs and Model Ms can be converted from ANSI to ISO by moving barrels around though! Could be a good thing to do while you're bolt modding, or disassembling the board for some other reason.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline hkrak

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 06:45:42 »
Standard US ANSI SSKs and Model Ms can be converted from ANSI to ISO by moving barrels around though! Could be a good thing to do while you're bolt modding, or disassembling the board for some other reason.

Great! I'll definitely check that out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 05:55:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice find!

Yes, people do look through dumpsters.  There is even a thread about it.

If you do want a Model M, keep looking.  They do turn up from time to time, sometimes when you least expect it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 07:48:40 »
Welcome to GH!

I have a Model F AT that I received from an instructor and they are pretty fun too. I'm sure if you're patient and keep an eye out on eBay or the classifieds I'm sure you will find what you're looking for.

If you have any questions feel free to message us. We're glad to have you here! :thumb:

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 14:49:33 »
Welcome!
I sure hope you found a Model M keyboard.  They are all well worthwhile.  We just found a good deal on one recently in "Great Finds".  I hope you got it.

Offline hkrak

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 16:11:35 »
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I'm now frantically monitoring ebay and other sites for a Model M, hopefully I'll find a good one at a decent price soon! :)

Also, I was at a local thrift shop today. No interesting keyboards, but I found an old IBM typewriter (model number 6746).
If I understand correctly, Model M resembles these typewriters? The keys were tactile and really clicky, had a very nice feel to them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2015, 16:13:13 by hkrak »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 05:51:31 »
AFAIK IBM 6746 does have buckling spring switches!

And don't be too frantic - light monitoring is better, as it could be weeks or months before one turns up.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hkrak

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 18:05:39 »
Then I already know that I'll enjoy the Model M.
But, yeah, I guess I have to be patient. Easier said than done though.  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:32:03 »
Stick around - you'll learn patience soon enough.  Especially if you participate in some group buys ;)