Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 884 times)

Offline Gaspar

Hello everyone
« on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 20:29:24 »
Hi, I'v been lurking for some time, time to register and introduce myself i guess!

I currently use a tkl from CM Storm with reds (my first mech) that i picked for playing games and I like it for playing but not that much for typing.

I recently got an office job and i spend quite a lot of time typing so it's time to get a new keyboard for work, yeah! I think I'm gonna get a full layout this time so i can input numbers with the numpad while using the mouse at the same time.

At first i wanted to get a WASD V2 with blues (I have a private office so I don't care about the noise too much) and 0.2 o-rings cause i read from CPTBadAss here that they were very comfy but i read, here as well, that WASD had quite bad keycaps so i'm not too sure anymore. It's sad cause i had thought of a nice yet classical custom design.

So now I'm also looking at other brands like the Filco Majestouch Ninja cause i like the layout and saw pretty good reviews. I also heard very good things about Topre looked at the Realforce 104 UB but I also heard quite a lot of bad comments about Topre like the variable actuation force so I'm quite afraid to get one and be disappointed although i could resell it here i guess. MX Clear also are on my mind cause i heard people saying they got tired of the clicks after some time.

So that's my introduction. I'd be happy to get suggestions to help me choose my new keyboard. I know nothing about modding so nothing too crazy please!
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 20:32:44 by Gaspar »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 21:03:29 »
Welcome to GH Gaspar! :)

Most people on GH (including my self) seem to prefer tkl size or even smaller boards, but to be honest if your work does involve inputing loads of or long strings of numbers, it definitely makes sense to go with a full size board (or additional num pad).

TKL does have the advantage that you can position your arms closer together which seems like a more natural and comfortable position for loads of people.
(especially if you need/want loads of room for mouse movement like fps players for example)

Going with and additional num pad gives you the advantage that you can position it as you like, like for example left of the board. (which also a lot of people prefer)
Since you said you like to use numpad and mouse at the same time, do you use the mouse left handed? (or the numpad in which case numpad to the left might be an option?)

Im not sure about WASD boards honestly (since I never had one) but I think they are usually considered quite a solid choice and you can always switch caps later on if you desire to. =)

Offline Gaspar

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 23:19:38 »
Yes i use my mouse with my left hand.

You know any good place to get keycaps? WASD also sells their keyboards without caps. How do I know they will be compatible, are those standards? Could i use PBT caps?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 23:42:56 by Gaspar »

Offline bharvey117

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 06:04:58 »
Hello new to this myself more of a reader than a poster

Offline Gaspar

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 23:22:35 »
I have my eyes on a Leopold 660c now! It just sound amazing from what I heard. The HHKB Pro 2 sounds a little better but i don't think i can get used to the layout.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 05:38:39 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You've heard a lot of people's opinions.  The thing is that everyone is different, and has their own likes and dislikes.

Ideally you'd find a local retailer, or a generous friend, who will let you try keyboards with various switches so you can get the feel of them.

I went with blues originally, but ended up finding them way too light, and now I prefer blacks or greens.  Or buckling spring ;)

When looking for a keyboard, try to find one with a standard layout, the bottom row (with Ctrl/Alt/space etc.) in particular, as it will make it so much easier to find a replacement keycap set.

Variable Topre keyboards are apparently good for people who just type, but for gaming they are terrible as most people don't have their hand in touch-typing position when gaming.  You can also get evenly weighted Topre keyboards, 45g all over or 55g all over.  HHKB if 45g all over, although I have a feeling that I'd prefer 55g.

For keycap sets, have a look through the group buys area - there are a few fantastic buys on at the moment!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ