Author Topic: Kiwi Enthusiast  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Stargorn

Kiwi Enthusiast
« on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 06:46:04 »
Hi all,
I have been lurking for a while and thought I would formally introduce myself. I have been a professional musician for the last 10 years but this year I decided to become a computer programmer. The path of programming has led me to learn to touch type (I was a hnper for 15+ years). This in turn led me to mechanical keyboards. My first purchase was an old WYSE terminal board which turned out to be rubber domes, to my great dismay. My next purchase was an Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard and x2 Apple M0110As which I converted to usb with Hasu's mod. Last month I bought a Ducky ZeroS TKL with MX Blues and x2 Ducky Mini YoTH with MX Reds for me and my wife (she felt the keyboard and instantly wanted one too). After hearing all the buzz about Buckling spring, I have bought an IBM silver label Model M 1391401 from '87 that will arrive in a few days. Excite!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2015, 20:06:33 by Stargorn »

1987 IBM Model M (1391401),  Apple M0110A (Mitsumi Type 1),  Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (White Monterey),  Ducky Mini YoTH (MX Reds),  Ducky Zero TKL (MX Blues)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Re: Kiwi Enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 09:14:04 »
Hi all,
I have been lurking for a while and thought I would formally introduce myself. I have been a professional musician for the last 10 years but this year I decided to become a computer programmer. The path of programming has lead me to learn to touch type (I was a hnper for 15+ years). This in turn led me to mechanical keyboards. My first purchase was an old WYSE terminal board which turned out to be rubber domes, to my great dismay. My next purchase was an Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard and x2 Apple M0110As which I converted to usb with Hasu's mod. Last month I bought a Ducky ZeroS TKL with MX Blues and x2 Ducky Mini YoTH with MX Reds for me and my wife (she felt the keyboard and instantly wanted one too). After hearing all the buzz about Buckling spring, I have bought an IBM silver label Model M 1391401 from '87 that will arrive in a few days. Excite!

Welcome to GeekHack!

Seems like you've acquired a nice collection pretty fast.

Enjoy your Model M, they're a joy to type on.

Next you'll be wanting an SSK.  :))

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 10:44:24 »
After hearing all the buzz about Buckling spring, I have bought an IBM silver label Model M 1391401 from '87 that will arrive in a few days. Excite!

Welcome!  I am sure you will definitely enjoy that Model M.  It will most likely become your favorite keyboard.  Did you get one that was reconditioned and tested?

Offline Stargorn

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 20:20:06 »
Welcome!  I am sure you will definitely enjoy that Model M.  It will most likely become your favorite keyboard.  Did you get one that was reconditioned and tested?

I hope I enjoy it as much as my other keyboards. I used to really whack the keys when I typed but now that I am touch typing I have quite a light touch. The mx reds with 1.5mm o rings and pbt caps are my favourite thing at the moment. I'm hoping that the actuation force on the Model M is not too much for me. They don't pop up too often over here in New Zealand (I doubt I'd ever see an SSK here), so I grabbed the first one I saw. It looked okay in the pictures, but missing a key on the numpad.

The guy selling it seemed to think it was okay - we'll see. I love tinkering, so I'll probably fix it up myself if it's in a bad way. As long as it's not a hidden rubber dome like the Wyse board, I'll be happy.   ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2015, 20:22:05 by Stargorn »

1987 IBM Model M (1391401),  Apple M0110A (Mitsumi Type 1),  Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (White Monterey),  Ducky Mini YoTH (MX Reds),  Ducky Zero TKL (MX Blues)

Offline Gaspar

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 20:26:01 »
How was the transition to computer programming? How long did you study, do you work already? How hard was it for you to learn?

Offline Stargorn

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 20:42:59 »
How was the transition to computer programming? How long did you study, do you work already? How hard was it for you to learn?

I'm definitely only just starting the transition. I'm still a musician by trade but being a musician affords me a lot of free time. For the last 5 months I've been studying 30-40 hours a week from home. I decided to start out with web development first and have taught myself python, html, css, bootstrap and django. I'm making websites to get a bit better at the development process. I've also started learning C, Lisp, C++ and Unreal Editor. I'm not really sure where in programming I want to work, I just know that I really enjoy designing and writing code and am sick of making a living from music. I begin a degree in computing next year. Ask me again in 5 years time or so and I'll have a slightly more definitive answer.

Offline wholphin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 01:03:04 »
Always nice to have another Kiwi enthusiast on the forum. As per my sig, I've got a couple of 1391401 Model Ms, along with an SSK (which I bought from [Phosphor Glow] in the States). Definitely love the feel of the buckling springs. Hope you find this forum a useful resource in your mechanical keyboard adventures!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 01:40:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Interesting that you modded a few vintage boards yourself before buying a more modern board ;)

Buckling springs are definitely stiffer than MX blues or reds, but they sounds so much better (and louder).

If you decide you want an SSK, have patience.  I have two full size Model Ms (they are not exactly rare in Australia, but certainly not common), and decided I wanted an SSK.  I waited for a good few months (actually it was at least a year), and now I have two :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Stargorn

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 02:32:45 »
Interesting that you modded a few vintage boards yourself before buying a more modern board ;)

I didn't have a lot of money at the start of the year and picked the apple boards up with a bulkload of old Mac Compacts for $40. So I bought a teensy and went from there.

Now that I have money again, it is hard to contain my keyboard-lust but I am trying.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:30:52 »

I didn't have a lot of money at the start of the year and picked the apple boards up with a bulkload of old Mac Compacts for $40. So I bought a teensy and went from there.

Now that I have money again, it is hard to contain my keyboard-lust but I am trying.

That's a good reason - necessity is the mother of invention, or something like that.

But you can make up for lost time now ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ