Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1291 times)

Offline thismat

Hello
« on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 11:36:37 »
I'm Matt, nice to meet you all.

I've been into mechanical keyboards for a while, but I haven't ever been bitten by the bug to get into the artisan side of things until recently. I'm not looking to build quite as an impressive collection as a lot I've seen on here, just more interested in getting my ideal work/home setup and admiring what the community here creates.

Been lurking a while checking out a lot of the customs and knowledge spread around here and thought it sounded like a great place to meet some new people and ask some really stupid questions.

I prefer Clears/Blues/Greens but really am okay with all switches as long as there is some tactile feedback (suffered from RSI in both arms before switching to a mechanical keyboard). I thought I was content with my WASD with greens for work....but I made the mistake of picking up and ErgoDox. While I am not keeping the ErgoDox (it slows me down at work, and standard qwerty keyboards don't cause me pain or discomfort unless they're membrane or non-tactile so there is very little to be gained from it for me), I found that the programmability of the controller was exactly what I want in a keyboard.

So now I'm on the hunt for a TKL/60% (w/FN keys) that offers the same multi-layer customizing features that the ErgoDox offered.

Is this too much information for an introduction?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 05:16:45 »
Welcome to GH! :thumb:

You could pick up a Sprit 60% from Round 3 of the GB.  I've got all three layers programmed; the third is just for macros.

P.S. While there is no such thing as a stupid question, but the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread is a great place for those...umm..simple questions. ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 05:44:07 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The predictability of switches across a mechanical keyboard is great, especially compared to a rubber dome/membrane keyboard where different areas can have different levels of mushiness.

Interesting that you prefer some stiffer springs though - doesn't that set off your RSI?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline thismat

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 13:09:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The predictability of switches across a mechanical keyboard is great, especially compared to a rubber dome/membrane keyboard where different areas can have different levels of mushiness.

Interesting that you prefer some stiffer springs though - doesn't that set off your RSI?

Surprisingly no. I am back on blues right now and happy though. I think what was setting off my RSI more than anything was bottoming out too hard, it's the only thing that makes sense because the only thing in my setups that changed was the keyboards I'm using. I'm guessing having that tactile feel (and honestly, sound) helps me not crush things too hard. This is all anecdotal of course but it's working for me. To be fair though I still get some burning in my arms and wrists now and then but it's nothing I can't ignore, before it was so bad I couldn't even sleep well, it would just feel like I had a knife in my biceps all night long.

Funny thing is, when I tried the ergodox my RSI started to flare up after a few days again, but my small hands were stretching pretty far for the thumb keys so I think that had something to do with it.

Welcome to GH! :thumb:

You could pick up a Sprit 60% from Round 3 of the GB.  I've got all three layers programmed; the third is just for macros.

P.S. While there is no such thing as a stupid question, but the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread is a great place for those...umm..simple questions. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I looked at the Sprits and they're gorgeous, as much as I'd love one though he seems pretty slammed and I don't want to add to his problems. I did pick up a Frosty Flake and PBT Blanks for now to use with my QFR until I find something more to my liking. End goal is to pick up a GON but he's also slammed at the moment so kind of biding my time for now. Getting tired of taking my keyboard to and from work though ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 05:35:50 »
Surprisingly no. I am back on blues right now and happy though. I think what was setting off my RSI more than anything was bottoming out too hard, it's the only thing that makes sense because the only thing in my setups that changed was the keyboards I'm using. I'm guessing having that tactile feel (and honestly, sound) helps me not crush things too hard. This is all anecdotal of course but it's working for me. To be fair though I still get some burning in my arms and wrists now and then but it's nothing I can't ignore, before it was so bad I couldn't even sleep well, it would just feel like I had a knife in my biceps all night long.

Funny thing is, when I tried the ergodox my RSI started to flare up after a few days again, but my small hands were stretching pretty far for the thumb keys so I think that had something to do with it.

That's fantastic!

With blues (and greens) apparently it is possible to learn to type without bottoming out at all.  Although you do have to let the switch up a bit above the actuation point, so you can't just hover at the actuation point like you can with browns or clears.

I found that my worst habit was hunching my mouse shoulder forward, especially when gaming.  That ended up feeling like I had a knife wedged in my shoulder blade, even when out doing other things.  Once I discovered what I was doing wrong I was able to make a conscious effort to push my shoulders back, discovered TKL keyboards so I could have the mouse closer to the keyboard, and it's been mostly fine since :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ