Author Topic: Hello fellow clickers and clackers!  (Read 2525 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Hello fellow clickers and clackers!
« on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 08:14:16 »
TL:DR Missed having mechs,went through buying several different KB's and switches to find what i wanted...expensive hobby but i love it.

As a young lad i had a model M keyboard with one of my old IBM computers i remember loving as a kid.  However as an adult my love of that totally fell by the wayside and i..../gasp used Rubberdomes for a number of years.   Fast forward to the last two years when i started getting heavy into PC gaming once again...and rediscovered Mechanical Keyboards and my Wallet rape...err Journey! Began.

It all started with a Corsair K65 RGB...which while nice and all i wasn't really familiar with Cherry MX switches at that point...Quickly learned i was not a fan of MX reds by any stretch and learned all about "Non standard Bottom Rows" once i started looking at Custom Keycaps.

I figured i would try something more tactile but didn't want to spend a fortune...So i sold the K65 and bought A Spyder Noppoo Lolita with Kailh Blues and while it was a decent board it was fairly "pingy" for me and i wanted something a bit higher up the scale.  So i kept the Noppoo and moved it to PC #2 and stuck ABS Doubleshots on it as my first Recap

Proceeded to order a QFR with MX Blues and really liked it but HATED the stock caps...the ABS always felt a bit..off to me so i researched PBT more and ordered KEYCOOL Rainbow gradient PBT caps for the board (And discovered my hatred of Costar stabs *Very opinion based i know*) I was happy for awhile but the noise drove my wife INSANE, she is a devout book worm and it echoed throughout...So in order to help fund my next purchase i sold the Noppoo on Reddit and moved the QFR to backup status for when the wife was not home.

I did a bit more research and bought a WASD CODE with MX Clears giving me the tactility i wanted without the extreme noise which was a good compromise and i really liked the switches,Put some VORTEX DS PBT Caps on it and loved it...However i felt i needed more mousing space...So i sold my QFR Rapid at this point..

And started looking into 60% Boards and ended up buying a Pok3r with Clears (Which is still stock) and really liked it though i don't always use it since for gaming i like my F Rows and optional arrow keys.  But it's always nice to have a 60% so i use it on and off.

Fast forward a bit to the last week and i realized i really miss the tactile click for typing (For gaming i'm dandy with the Clears) but for straight typing i missed my clicking.  However being accustomed to the stiffness of Clears now blues felt way way too soft for me.  BUt i also had to please the wife....So

I ordered a KUL-87 ES with MX Greens and O-Ring modded it which kept the wife happy since it was the clack not the click driving her nuts. And then added VORTEX Doubleshot Black Caps with White Legends.

This has all taken place over about a year in total...Wallet draining Hobby indeed.

So after all this i finally have my current favorites.

For Gaming: WASD CODE with MX Clears and VORTEX DS PBT Backlit Caps
For typing: KUL 87 ES W/ MX Greens O-Ring modded
For travel/my Laptop: Pok3r with MX Clears (Stock) Though i have been considering selling this as of late and buying a Ducky Year of the horse with MX Greens and O-Ring modding it.

http://i.imgur.com/uAm8R1V.jpg?1  (A picture of my current Setup with my three daily drivers,The Pok3r is off to the corner attached to my Mac Mini File server)

There is no end game in this hobby.
Wallets scream out in pain everywhere.
But my fingers scream in delight ;)

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 08:16:55 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello fellow clickers and clackers!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 05:34:25 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a thread for posting pictures of your desk :)

Nice story!  You have discovered that you like stiffer switches - great :)  And tactility, hmmm.  Have you tried MX blacks yet?  Like reds, but without the tactile bump.  Although if you prefer the tactility then maybe blacks are not for you.

Another alternative is to get another Model M - they are still hugely popular and seem to last for ages, except for the plastic rivets.  But a bolt mod can fix that, and leave the keyboard in top shape for another 30 years.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 12:53:26 »
I have tried blacks actually and while highly preferable to reds i definitely like my tactility clicky or otherwise.  As far as a model M goes...definitely considering one down the line but waiting to see if Unicomp ever releases a TKL as the model M SSK is a bit out of my range at moment in good shape.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Martyn.T.Howells

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 17:18:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
Steelseries 6gv2 MX Black   Filco Majestouch2 TKL MX Blue   Poker II MX Red   HHKB PRO 2

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 01:06:12 »
Howdy! I seem to recognize you from reddit  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 05:02:14 »
Welcome to GH!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 05:50:07 »
I have tried blacks actually and while highly preferable to reds i definitely like my tactility clicky or otherwise.  As far as a model M goes...definitely considering one down the line but waiting to see if Unicomp ever releases a TKL as the model M SSK is a bit out of my range at moment in good shape.

If you don't mind a little bit of work to clean one up, you can sometimes find them for a very reasonable price.

Both of mine were far lower in price than I feared I would have to pay.  One was fine out of the box, the other one needed a little bit of cleaning.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 11:51:12 »
Howdy! I seem to recognize you from reddit  :thumb:

Indeedy do! So...Hello yet again =p

And thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 23:24:46 »
sup
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.