Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1219 times)

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
Hello everyone
« on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 22:44:45 »
New user here! I've been an owner of a mechanical keyboard for a while, but for the past three months my addiction has been growing like crazy. I went through 8 keyboards already, 7 of which I bought within three months. I think the main reason was because I discovered local (I'm living in Japan btw) recycle shops and online auctions, which gave me an opportunity to try the clack for half the price.

I frequent /r/mechanicalkeyboards, but since today I decided to pay more attention to this board as well. Speaking of which, I have a few questions:

• Are there any location-based groups here? I'm looking for other users from Japan, as I already paid too much for shipping from overseas.
  • I have a few ideas for artisan keycaps, what's the best place to look for keycap production advice or guides?
  • Where do people get those fancy keyboard icons in their signatures?

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2015, 22:48:39 by apolotary »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 05:33:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which keyboards have you got?

mechanicalkeyboards.com has Tai Hao Miami: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1168

We discussed location-based groups a few times, but in general there is not much that warrants them, and anything that is location-specific, like a meetup, could be catered for by a dedicated thread.

making stuff together has lots of resources and threads about making keycaps.

recommended reading provides a list of essential links to resources people most often ask after, including simple questions, simple answers wherein you can find keyboard pixel art.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 10:11:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which keyboards have you got?

mechanicalkeyboards.com has Tai Hao Miami: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1168

We discussed location-based groups a few times, but in general there is not much that warrants them, and anything that is location-specific, like a meetup, could be catered for by a dedicated thread.

making stuff together has lots of resources and threads about making keycaps.

recommended reading provides a list of essential links to resources people most often ask after, including simple questions, simple answers wherein you can find keyboard pixel art.

Thanks! I think we talked earlier in some other threads around here.

I had/have/going to have the following keyboards:

Filco Minila w Cherry MX Blues
KBParadise v60 w Cherry MX Greens (sold)
Matias Mini Quiet Pro (broken USB, trying to repair, but seems unlikely, will probably sell as junk)
Matias Mini Tactile Pro (sold)
Cherry G80-11900 (sold)
Leopold FC660C
Ducky Shine Mini w Cherry MX Browns
Realforce 86u (should arrive tomorrow)
KBParadise v60, Dolch keycaps with Cherry MX Clears (should arrive next week)

So far my favorite is probably Matias Mini Quiet Pro and it's a huge bummer that the micro-USB port is both so brittle and hard to repair. If I won't like my keyboard with Cherry MX Clears, I'll probably buy a v60 with Matias Quiet Click switches and get an ALPS to Cherry MX adapter
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2015, 10:14:39 by apolotary »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 05:37:27 »
There are a few people around here who can repair keyboards for you, probably including replacing broken USB sockets.  Not sure of any in Japan though, but if you can find an electronics store they may offer an electronics repair service.

It would be a shame to discard a keyboard just because of something like that.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ