Author Topic: Hi from Northern California  (Read 1488 times)

Offline mikefromsac

Hi from Northern California
« on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 10:18:07 »
Hi All:

I’m 57 years old and live in the Sacramento area. My work had been in small business management and sales. Computers were always an interest and while in college I used to dream about the original IBM PC, the Sinclair, Kaypro, etc. At my first post-college job my computer in the early ’80’s was an Apple Lisa. Within 3 years I switched to XT clones while teaching myself DOS from PC Magazine articles.

I did some work for a friend who had an IBM AT and I fell in love with the keyboard’s sound and feel. I always wished these keyboards were available for newer computers, but had no idea what they were even called. About 8 years ago I switched to Macbook Pros (on my third as of last month) and while reading a watch forum a couple of weeks ago, somebody posted a photo of a watch and IBM Model M together. I replied how much I loved (and missed) the keyboard and he said mechanical keyboards are still available.

One month later I have two Das Professionals for Mac (Blue for home and Brown for work). I hope to explore other keyboard brands, sizes, and switches as the months go by and have learned a huge amount reading the posts here. Thanks to all for the expert advice, posts, and lovely photos.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hi from Northern California
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 23:01:51 »
Welcome aboard and you should take a look at IBM SSK.  :thumb:
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 23:54:45 »
Welcome!

Offline mikefromsac

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 07:45:59 »

Thanks, and yes, the IBM SSK is definitely going on my wish list. Workable size for me (unlike the 60%, at least for now). I tend to use arrow keys (and number pads) quite a bit. Model M is also on wish list for future after my keyboard funds build up a bit.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 10:02:13 »

Thanks, and yes, the IBM SSK is definitely going on my wish list. Workable size for me (unlike the 60%, at least for now). I tend to use arrow keys (and number pads) quite a bit. Model M is also on wish list for future after my keyboard funds build up a bit.

If you ever come down to SoCal let me know. I have a model M that I can just give it to you.
Din Eli

Offline mikefromsac

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 18:46:33 »
Wow, thanks!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 21:50:56 »
Din Eli