Author Topic: Hako True spring swapping mod, for increased tactility  (Read 4993 times)

Offline razor_blade

Hako True spring swapping mod, for increased tactility
« on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 19:49:01 »
So, I have been staring at my Hako True switches all week, trying to figure out what the hell I am going to do with them, since I hate the way they feel. Stock, they are like weird linears that ramp up in force, right after they register. The Hako clears are better, but end up having too much of their tactile nature hidden by the high spring weight.

I saw that the Hako Violets have a greatly reduced spring weight and a much nicer bump, which got me thinking: is the spring the problem? Maybe Input Club realized that using a lighter spring made the tactile bump much more pronounced. What would happen if I swapped springs with a lighter one from a compatible switch?

Thankfully, I have a large bag of Box Black switches laying around with their 60g stock springs. The swap took seconds and WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! This switch feels extremely similar to the 65g Zealios I have, with far less wobble. This might be an end game switch for me. I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few hours!

Hopefully, this helps some of you. This is also a great sign for how good the Violets will feel, although I'd prefer this exact spring to the 50g one in those. Happy modding!

FYI, I posted this to r/mk as well. I hope it helps someone with buyer's remorse! I've had a full 180 on my opinion on these switches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2018, 19:57:06 by razor_blade »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Hako True spring swapping mod, for increased tactility
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 21:44:26 »
It's funny, because when you boil it down, there are only so many ways that "traditional" tactile Cherry switches can go. So for big tactile feel lovers like us, you end up with ergo clears being almost the same as zealios, being almost the same as "ergo hako clears."

I feel like I'm outside of this rat race now that I've gone all in on Kailh+Novelkeys box jades. That click bar innovation, and especially the thick click bar, has really given Cherry mount a tactile option that holds up against the great tactile switches of all time.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 00:06:34 »
Except they did do something new and I guess some people don't like it ;)

Stock, they are like weird linears that ramp up in force, right after they register.

But that's the whole point!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:14:04 »
i know mx green Reduced tactility vs mx blue.

At least that's what it felt like

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 11:44:36 »
They felt lame individually but I really like typing on Trues now that I've used them on a board.
I think input did themselves a disservice mentioning mx-clears and topre in the hako description since that put specific expectations in people's minds, especially given halo stems being used in a fantastic tactile mod.  Maybe they should have used different names altogether like Hako Wax and Wane or something.
If I had to describe the switch feel I would call it a resistant linear?

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 07:48:49 »
Hi Razor_blade,

i'm also a big tactile lover.. sum times it feels like were are a dying breed  :cool:
just ordered 72 mx-clears to mod (want to put them in a tada68)..
And planning on getting 60gr springs from kbdfans with my tada order.
already got the stabs ...

i was also looking at the "Hako Violets" on paper they seem a bit on the light side even lighter then mx-browns.
But i guess it all depends on the bump and how good it feels..
i was told that regular springs cherry springs that is won't fit the Hako switches.. And that  Spirit was working on springs for box type switches.. But that the guys is kind of not reliable don't know anything about that ..

but i would be curios to hear what your experience with the mod is ? and have you tried hako clears ??
How did the spring swap / mod go...please please tell us more mate..

Offline donkey

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 21:24:52 »
1. Hako True with Box 60g spring did make the bump more noticeable.
2. Hako True with Rubberband Mod also did the same.
3. Both feel smoother than Box Brown/Burnt Orange.
4. Of the two, I liked the rubberband mod more because linear 60g spring made me bottom out.

But Hako bump felt too brief and harsh, even after lubing, to be enjoyable.
Using it felt more like picking a scab than rubbing a nipple.

Offline hyperlite218

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 13:06:21 »
I need to find a spring swap to make the keys feel tactile while also being heavy so I don't bottom out non-stop. My nightfox has hako trues in it and they just feel like heavy linears and it's mildly annoying since they were supposed to be tactile.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 16:47:17 »
I've been doing things the other way, putting Hako springs in clicky box switches to combine the unique characteristics of the Hako springs with the tactility and click of the click bar.  And I've been really happy with the result...in fact this combo might be my favorite MX-compatible switch now.

The spring is what makes Hakos special.  Sure there's a very slight bump on the Hako Trues and a slightly larger ones on the Clears it's not anything unique or noteworthy.  I've also tried putting Box White or Pale Blue springs in the Hako switches after I put the Hako springs in the White/Pale Blue housing (mainly because I didn't want to lose the springs) and to me at least the result is pretty bland.  It's not all that different from just getting a Box Brown or burnt Orange to start with.

If you don't want a clicky switch then you might consider getting some Box Royals once they are available.  Based on my experience combining clickbar switches with the Hako spring I think a Hako spring in a Box Royal could also be pretty compelling.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 18:01:17 »
So, I have been staring at my Hako True switches all week, trying to figure out what the hell I am going to do with them, since I hate the way they feel. Stock, they are like weird linears that ramp up in force, right after they register. The Hako clears are better, but end up having too much of their tactile nature hidden by the high spring weight.

I saw that the Hako Violets have a greatly reduced spring weight and a much nicer bump, which got me thinking: is the spring the problem? Maybe Input Club realized that using a lighter spring made the tactile bump much more pronounced. What would happen if I swapped springs with a lighter one from a compatible switch?

Thankfully, I have a large bag of Box Black switches laying around with their 60g stock springs. The swap took seconds and WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! This switch feels extremely similar to the 65g Zealios I have, with far less wobble. This might be an end game switch for me. I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few hours!

Hopefully, this helps some of you. This is also a great sign for how good the Violets will feel, although I'd prefer this exact spring to the 50g one in those. Happy modding!

FYI, I posted this to r/mk as well. I hope it helps someone with buyer's remorse! I've had a full 180 on my opinion on these switches.

So, have you messed around much with the box blacks with Hako True springs? Do you have them installed in anything right now? If so, how are you liking them and what are your thoughts? Also, pics please because I don't see too many box black boards nekkid.

I will say, I had that same "WTF" moment, when I messed with Hako Trues in my White Fox, but then I realized, that if I treat them like a scratchy linear, that they have my favorite springs I have ever used and the stem is tolerable. I have the Rama M60 on order, and I ordered the Box Royals with it because they seemed cool, but I'm wondering if I really just want the modded box blacks with the Hako True springs as I can buy 70 of the blacks and trues from Novelkeys for around $60 and potentially get a weird switch that I really like.