Author Topic: Alps PCB and Plate choices  (Read 24785 times)

Offline nguyenhimself

Alps PCB and Plate choices
« on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 22:44:25 »
I'm preparing for a custom Alps build, and so far I believe the few options I have are:

- Alps64 by Hasu: PCB + Plate, and I love all the possible 60% cases, but honestly I (refer something bigger, as I love the design of the AEK's arrow keys.

- LFK68: PCB + Plate, I'll also need to get a VA68M case from Taobao. Probably going for this.

- LFK78: PCB + Plate + acrylic case, I LOVE the layout but am not really into the case design (visible screws are ugly), which is wasted on Alps switches anyway as they cannot have under-glow RGB.

Am I missing any other custom Alps PCB? Just exploring my options here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 23:51:43 by nguyenhimself »

Offline p_blaze

Re: Alps PCB and Plate choices
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 22:59:26 »
Clueboard pcb works with fc660 cases and has alps compat

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 23:49:23 »

Hey that's actually my #1 layout! But I will still need two 2.25 Left Shift keys, right? That's one extra AEK keycap set I'd need to find 😐

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 01:38:12 »

You would (probably) still want a plate though.  I mean you could go plateless I guess...but the Alps Clueboard plates I am aware of were for a sandwich-style build, not a FC660 case.

That said I actually have an acrylic Alps plate that Clueboard sent me by mistake (I had ordered an MX one...).  Which is ironic seeing how their storefront didn't even list Alps plates anymore when I ordered my MX plate.   So I've been thinking about trying to scrounge up the parts for a full Alps acrylic Clueboard build as well...maybe that was their secret plan.

Hey that's actually my #1 layout! But I will still need two 2.25 Left Shift keys, right? That's one extra AEK keycap set I'd need to find 😐

Well you literally just missed this...

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 01:40:41 »

Well you literally just missed this...

I did know about that GB, but honestly part of this project's goal is to use the AEK keycaps, which I reeeeally like (also why I've been lurking in that XDA Oblique IC thread a lot).

That said I actually have an acrylic Alps plate that Clueboard sent me by mistake (I had ordered an MX one...).  Which is ironic seeing how their storefront didn't even list Alps plates anymore when I ordered my MX plate.   So I've been thinking about trying to scrounge up the parts for a full Alps acrylic Clueboard build as well...maybe that was their secret plan.

They are still selling those Alps plates under 'Dents & Dings'.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 01:53:39 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 02:17:51 »
I did know about that GB, but honestly part of this project's goal is to use the AEK keycaps, which I reeeeally like (also why I've been lurking in that XDA Oblique IC thread a lot).

To each their own I guess.  I like the switches from old Apple boards but can't for the life of me understand what people see in those keycaps...

They are still selling those Alps plates under 'Dents & Dings'.

Not exactly.  Those are aluminum plates that are built for the same dimensions as an acrylic sandwich case build.  What I got sent was actually an acrylic Alps plate, which I didn't think they even still had and are not listed anywhere on their site.  And I actually prefer the acrylic plate for feel/noise reasons.

Anyway you could get one of those aluminum plates and use it with acrylic spacers for a hybrid acrylic/aluminum sandwich.  They still have acrylic pieces available (though colors can be limited).  But the original suggestion to put it in a FC660 case will not work as the outer dimensions of that plate are just too large.  I guess you could try to cut it down to size or something...the relative positions of the switches should be OK, it's just the boarder that's the problem.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 03:01:56 »
i was going to buy a 68 Key PCB for the Varmilo but then i saw how much the pcb alone is damn. But the 78 Key kit looks tempting to be honest but i bet i have to pay ****load of import cost over it >:( and need to find a new AEK II.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 03:10:23 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 03:08:44 »
i was going to buy a 68 Key PCB for the Varmilo but then i saw how much the pcb alone is damn.

Yeah but then again it's not like you have a lot of choices for after-market Alps PCB 😣

One more option that I found is the Southpaw 65%, whose GB is close to shipping I believe 😐 Maybe there'll be some leftovers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 04:07:56 by nguyenhimself »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 03:45:31 »
Am I missing any other custom Alps PCB?
If you're into TKLs, the XMMX supports ALPS.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:37:54 »
Super good news: It seems that I've found exactly what I need (Alps PCB + plate, arrow keys) with the Katana60. The fact that it fits inside most 605 cases is also a plus.

I think this is what I'll be going forward with 🙂

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:51:09 »
Just in case this would be useful for someone else in the future: I recently found out that the VE.A also supports Alps

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:59:12 »
I wish there was more choice for non-60% Alps builds. I tried using the V60 but I did not like the 60% layout at all. I much prefer TKL/75%/100%.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 22:47:39 »
I wish there was more choice for non-60% Alps builds. I tried using the V60 but I did not like the 60% layout at all. I much prefer TKL/75%/100%.

Yeah same. My Alps journey would have been much simpler if I just get an Alps64 plus some 60% case, but 65% is the smallest I'm willing to type on.

So far, the Katana60 seems to be the most affordable and most interesting of the bunch.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:02:08 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:53:37 »
You could look into the group buy for Omnkiey replacement PCBs.. There are supposedly a few left; you can build it as a 100% or a 110%, but you either have to get a custom plate or cut apart an old Northgate board
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 00:02:51 »
You could look into the group buy for Omnkiey replacement PCBs.. There are supposedly a few left; you can build it as a 100% or a 110%, but you either have to get a custom plate or cut apart an old Northgate board

There are currently 4 left. And I do have the plate files for the board, just cutouts as I never designed a case to go along with it.

Offline reijikyosuke

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 00:29:08 »
found this, SMK65 with Tada68 Alu Case and SMK 2nd Gen Cherry Mount

https://imgur.com/gallery/RhIob

this pcb was actually the best thing that I've ever seen, ALPS and SMK Compatible. (But yes, keycap size like 1.75u R4 would be hard to find, except DCS profile one.)

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 01:00:15 »
found this, SMK65 with Tada68 Alu Case and SMK 2nd Gen Cherry Mount

https://imgur.com/gallery/RhIob

this pcb was actually the best thing that I've ever seen, ALPS and SMK Compatible. (But yes, keycap size like 1.75u R4 would be hard to find, except DCS profile one.)

Yeah I did find that on the LFKeyboards website (great guy), but I didn't see any 65% Alps plate being sold for that PCB, plus the need to get one extra Capslock keycap AND that $70 price tag...

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:38:21 »
Yes I've seen the LFKeyboards site, but to get a PCB+plate+case the total was around $400 for me, which is just too much.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 07:56:54 »
I have no idea what kind of extras are left for ALPS since it wasn't popular, but the Southpaw Extended 65 had ALPS support:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92344.0

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 08:15:09 »
Checking out the site for NA, I would love something like the EEPW84 with Alps compatibility, but of course it's MX only.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 11:32:18 »
The design and layout is not to my liking, but apparently, the CU75 and CU24 both support Alps switches with an Alps plate as a paid extra (provided it can get past MOQ 10 units).

Premium pricing, and the 75% layout means some extra effort required to find keycaps, but hey, more Alps options.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 06:11:27 »
Super good news: It seems that I've found exactly what I need (Alps PCB + plate, arrow keys) with the Katana60. The fact that it fits inside most 605 cases is also a plus.

Show Image

I think this is what I'll be going forward with 🙂
will the standard aek keycaps fit on the katana ?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 06:27:40 »
Yeah he made a specific layout to utilize all the keycaps in one AEK, though I suspect if you're willing to buy more than one set of AEK keycaps, you can also go for the MX layout (with the four bottom 1u keys)

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 23:47:01 »
Decided to take a walk over at Making Stuff Together and found out this TOAD custom build by TalkingTree which also supports Alps switches. TalkingTree was kind enough to open-source all the PCB, plate, and case designs 🙂

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 04:43:45 »
Decided to take a walk over at Making Stuff Together and found out this TOAD custom build by TalkingTree which also supports Alps switches. TalkingTree was kind enough to open-source all the PCB, plate, and case designs 🙂
Please do post pictures if you build one.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:43:19 »
- Good news is, things are getting better, as we are getting more Alps-compatible boards.
- Bad news is, most of them are premium customs. Also, still 60% = still unusable for me 😐 

Case in point: The upcoming Duck Raven.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:47:53 »
kingsaver
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:54:51 »
kingsaver

Oh yeah, there's one on r/mechmarket right now, but I'm not planning to spend >1,000 on a single keyboard anytime soon 🙂

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 09:16:57 »
I really don't understand why there aren't more standard size boards than this. I understand that the 60% layout is "cool" but I hate layering and refuse to buy another 60%.

Offline ___q

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 10:07:27 »
In terms of PCBs, there is also the Alphas L3, which is an a.87-compatible tkl pcb, and as such fits many custom TKLs (not my picture, credits to E3E):

Availability is a bit tricky though, I don't know if they are regularly produced or if anyone has them "in stock".

kingsaver

Oh yeah, there's one on r/mechmarket right now, but I'm not planning to spend >1,000 on a single keyboard anytime soon 🙂

Even if you really want a kingsaver, you probably shouldn't pay 1k+ for it... that seller is surprisingly persistent with prices though.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 10:29:12 »
Kingsavers will probably not sell below $800 in the near future. Rarity combined with the lack of Alps TKLs readily available push up the price.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 06:00:30 »
I don't really care for split keyboards, but if that's your thing, the Let's Split does play nice with Alps switches.
Q8: Does the PCB support Alps switches?
A8: It sure does!

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 03:12:48 »
Again, not something that I'm particularly interested in, but apparently, both the OLKB Planck and Preonic PCBs support Alps switches.

Source.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 09:01:40 by nguyenhimself »

Offline kultra

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 07:50:17 »
keeb.io has PCBs ALPS compatible.

Offline vafan

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 06:21:23 »
Did you finish your work?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 06:29:49 »

I ultimately took the easy route and bought a Blue Alps64 board locally, though I also got a Katana60 PCB so I'm leaving that option open for maybe an Orange Alps build later (just not looking forward to having to hire someone to CNC my own Alps plate for that PCB).

Offline vafan

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 04:13:03 »

I ultimately took the easy route and bought a Blue Alps64 board locally, though I also got a Katana60 PCB so I'm leaving that option open for maybe an Orange Alps build later (just not looking forward to having to hire someone to CNC my own Alps plate for that PCB).

Haha, I'm going to buy LFK68. Looking for some linear switches right now.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 06:43:51 »

Haha, I'm going to buy LFK68. Looking for some linear switches right now.

I still think of the LFK68 with fondness, but the PCB and plate's prices are hard to swallow for me.

Offline kakan

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 05:44:29 »
How well does a 1mm plate hold Alps switches?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 02:14:14 »
So, lets talk caps.

We've got Harvested caps, Tai-Hao caps, the odd ones from PMK, that one wintery sounding set whos name escapes me, and thats about it.

But, i've reached out to Matias, as they seem to make non-standard alps blanks (ABS, but I'm asking someone to take some calipers to it and see the thickness, seems okay), which would enable 65% builds with ease. I'll post again when I get my reply, I'm just hoping to keep this thread alive because I just got 200+ alps switches and want to make some boards other than AEK64s.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 09:18:19 »
Signature Plastics (PMK) also makes blanks, which may be cheaper than Matias.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 09:33:49 »
I'm still on the fence whether to do the va68m or a tkl build with my blue alps... leaning va68m as it be much cheaper, and I won't have to track down a few extra switches, the leading edge 2014 has 84.. 3 short for a tkl hah.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 11:36:52 »
Signature Plastics (PMK) also makes blanks, which may be cheaper than Matias.

Do they sell in a set? Buying single/5 packs gets really expensive.

Also, can someone give me a rundown on acrylic vs stainless steel vs FR4 for alps plates? Wondering which I should be after for a SKCL Green build for a nice sound.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 08:37:51 »
Well, an orange Alps build is still at some point in the future for me, so I might as well keep this list (somewhat) updated for future references.

So far I've seen 3 new PCBs supporting Alps switches:

- The Lunar AEK, a high-end custom 75% PCB + aluminum case for Alps builds.
- The Tragicforce68, a drop-in replacement for the Magicforce68 but also has support for Alps.
- The AHKB, a split + HHKB Alps build by u/nachie. Possible GB at some point.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 21:34:09 »
OK, a few new stuffs. Both of the keyboards below have ended their GBs, but they should be quickly available on the after-market later on:

- CA66 R2.
- Fox Lab Leaf 80.

I believe today (10/10) is the last day to get this one:

- Duck Raven/Sidewinder.

« Last Edit: Sun, 09 September 2018, 23:34:07 by nguyenhimself »

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 00:50:10 »
- The ErgoTravel split keyboard supports both MX and Alps. The GB is almost finished now, but one can still complete the order form for left-overs.
- The Korean-made Salamander also supports Alps, but the small GB won't be starting at least until December or next January.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2018, 00:34:15 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 10:30:47 »
That Salamander looks incredible. I have no idea how one would go about buying it though.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 00:32:05 »
KPRepublic's new v3.0 PCB for the XD64 now supports both MX and Alps stems.

It's a very affordable custom with quite a number of layout and case options.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 04:56:56 »
While not a pcb/plate combo, you can use the KBparadise V80 and stick it into a Tex TKL case or probably most anything that fits a Filco.

Also before you plan anything LFK, check inventory, a lot of stuff is out of stock.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2018, 05:00:15 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 10:06:59 »
Not that interested in the TKL layout or the price, but hey, it definitely has Alps PCB and plate:

TGR Jane v2, whose GB just started.