Author Topic: It shouldn't be this cold in April  (Read 3877 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
It shouldn't be this cold in April
« on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 13:52:47 »
Last week it snowed,  and forward days are all low 40s and 30s.

In short... We're all going to die... !!

Animal agriculture, responsible for 18% of all green house gases

Cars/Ships/Planes all together is only 13%

193093-0

Offline kgolden

Re: It shouldn't be this cold in April
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 13:59:39 »
Man, it sucked seeing it snow yesterday. I can't wait for warm days.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 10:19:57 »
Watching out my window for whitewalkers.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 14:21:13 »
much rather it be freezing cold than sweltering hot

and if you're a vegan talking about greenhouse gasses who also owns an air conditioner your argument is invalid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 15:03:08 »

and if you're a vegan talking about greenhouse gasses who also owns an air conditioner your argument is invalid

Well, assuming everyone in the world shares the burden of creating GH-gases equally...

I've already reduced my personal total by 19% since becoming vegan for ~12 months now.

It's not about who does what.. It'll take the effort of every person in the end.

And the BOTTOM LINE is that animal foods make you sick..

Cancer
Heart Disease
Diabetes
Stroke
Impotence

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 15:20:41 »
I didn't hear anything you said, I just want that hamburger

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 15:21:49 »

Well, assuming everyone in the world shares the burden of creating GH-gases equally...

I've already reduced my personal total by 19% since becoming vegan for ~12 months now.

It's not about who does what.. It'll take the effort of every person in the end.

And the BOTTOM LINE is that animal foods make you sick..

Cancer
Heart Disease
Diabetes
Stroke
Impotence

(Attachment Link)

how you going to get to flavourtown without animal products tho TP

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 17:46:42 »
I didn't hear anything you said, I just want that hamburger

Hahaha.. It's tough.. Do you best..

You've already entered the early stages at age 3x..

If things stay as they are..  Well....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 17:48:42 »

how you going to get to flavourtown without animal products tho TP

Show Image

Everyday, I just die a little on the inside .. Sigh...........

193443-0

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:15:26 »
Simply switching to renewable energy has reduced my personal CO₂ emissions almost 3.5 times as much as switching to veganism...

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2018, 09:17:02 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 11:52:45 »
Simply switching to renewable energy has reduced my personal CO₂ emissions almost 3.5 times as much as switching to veganism...

Show Image

What is this chart measuring. is this a new meter and it counts solar farm usage ?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 11:53:44 »
Mostly wind power with some solar as well.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:02:48 »
Every picture you linked here looked delicious tp4, you're doing a terrible job converting us to veganism.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:02:54 »
Mostly wind power with some solar as well.

Every avenue to reduced carbon emission is good and worthwhile.

It's great that you're mindful and supporting renewable.

Ideally we can go further, use renewable And be 100% Veggie.

The current renewable solutions are rarely available and not feasible for every neighborhood.

Whereas, Everyone has the opportunity to stop eating toxic animals.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:06:06 »
Every picture you linked here looked delicious tp4, you're doing a terrible job converting us to veganism.

I can only live vicariously through *.jpgs , 

Animal foods cause diabetes/cancer/heartdisease/dementia/stroke/impotence..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:17:45 »

It's like telling people that just smelling the food is almost as good as eating it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:20:25 »
The current renewable solutions are rarely available and not feasible for every neighborhood.[/size][/color]

Actually it's possible by buying renewable certificates (RECs). Normally my area is powered by fossil fuels but I offset my usage via RECs. It's kind of complicated, but basically all power looks the same once it hits the grid, so by buying RECs you are essentially paying for the renewables and helping renewables expand. And for the convenience I use Arcadia Power which does all of that for me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:23:31 »
I really wish Mcdonald would bring fishsticks to the USA-menu..

If it weren't for the god damn mercury (toxic to the nervous system)..

I'd quit Vegan right now !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 12:28:01 »
The current renewable solutions are rarely available and not feasible for every neighborhood.[/size][/color]

Actually it's possible by buying renewable certificates (RECs). Normally my area is powered by fossil fuels but I offset my usage via RECs. It's kind of complicated, but basically all power looks the same once it hits the grid, so by buying RECs you are essentially paying for the renewables and helping renewables expand. And for the convenience I use Arcadia Power which does all of that for me.

I'm aware of the RECs, but having worked in trading.. this stuff can be pretty dodgy..

At the moment the industry is similar to humanitarian corporations.. alot of money laundering.. and embezzling public money

I'm certainly not against your good will,  but I don't think it's well regulated enough at the moment unless you're for certain next to their plant and can SEE the solar farm..

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:29:46 »
My friend is into Pescetarianism, seems like it could be manageable goal, if you're really worried about mercury levels you can just avoid the longer lives large fish.  ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:35:17 »
My friend is into Pescetarianism, seems like it could be manageable goal, if you're really worried about mercury levels you can just avoid the longer lives large fish.  ;D

Fish is a big nono -kiwi99 -..

They can measure a sizable cognitive performance difference among people consuming just 3 cans of tuna a week..

The conclusion being, mercury is extremely toxic to the nervous system.

IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH, to really mess a person up..

193485-0

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 21:00:03 »

Fish is a big nono -kiwi99 -..

They can measure a sizable cognitive performance difference among people consuming just 3 cans of tuna a week..

The conclusion being, mercury is extremely toxic to the nervous system.

IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH, to really mess a person up..

(Attachment Link)

The real conclusion being if you're using tuna as your example you didn't read fully what I said or just don't understand fully. Tuna (canned albacore) is the very worst offender of mercury levels and its widely published that canned tuna does in fact pose real health risks especially to children in developmental stages of their lives (along the lines of what you said). On the other hand there is lots of seafood known to be high in the healthy fatty acids while having way lower trace mercury amounts.
Some types of fish have higher levels of these beneficial fatty acids than others. Fish and shellfish that contain higher levels of these fatty acids and are also low in mercury include: anchovy, capelin, char, hake, herring, Atlantic mackerel, mullet, pollock ( Boston bluefish), salmon, smelt, rainbow trout, lake whitefish, blue crab, shrimp, clam, mussel and oyster.
source

If you have any source I could read about on your "fish is a big nono" that speaks about more than just tuna I would be interested in reading it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 21:06:15 »

The real conclusion being if you're using tuna as your example you didn't read fully what I said or just don't understand fully. Tuna (canned albacore) is the very worst offender of mercury levels and its widely published that canned tuna does in fact pose real health risks especially to children in developmental stages of their lives (along the lines of what you said). On the other hand there is lots of seafood known to be high in the healthy fatty acids while having way lower trace mercury amounts.
Some types of fish have higher levels of these beneficial fatty acids than others. Fish and shellfish that contain higher levels of these fatty acids and are also low in mercury include: anchovy, capelin, char, hake, herring, Atlantic mackerel, mullet, pollock ( Boston bluefish), salmon, smelt, rainbow trout, lake whitefish, blue crab, shrimp, clam, mussel and oyster.

If you have any source I could read about on your "fish is a big nono" that speaks about more than just tuna I would be interested in reading it.

http://mercuryfactsandfish.org/mercury-facts/the-safe-or-reference-dose/

- fixed link, this one has the right math, previous link had the wrong conversion

Just don't eat fish.. it's that simple.. hahahaha

The math for a 0.24ppm fish, comes out to 24.28 Grams of fish PER DAY, any more would blow the maximum allowable mercury consumption set by the EPA.

If you ate 170 grams of this fish, (a serving), you'll be at the maximum allowable (per Week).

Who eats so little ?

And given how Giagantic a leap you can exceed the allowable mercury consumption depending on WHICH fish you eat and WHERE it came from..   There's simply no predictable way to eat Safe_Fish.

They don't sell a meter so consumers can measure the fish they buy..  It's not a safe food.

It's also important to keep in mind, that the Limit EPA sets is not an Aspirational goal for people to meet,

Ideally you want as little mercury exposure as possible.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 22:08:21 »
For reference this is a very 1-sided bias site that doesn't have any contrast in it ... sorta seems like

but anyways I'll try to explain my stance further.

Just don't eat fish.. it's that simple.. hahahaha

The math for a 0.24ppm fish, comes out to 24.28 Grams of fish PER DAY, any more would blow the maximum allowable mercury consumption set by the EPA.

If you ate 170 grams of this fish, (a serving), you'll be at the maximum allowable (per Week).

Who eats so little ?

1. Even in the biased linked article it says that they use a per week amount because its not expected or recommended to eat a full serving of fish daily. Balance is key in a diet and no I am not saying fish is a some magic super healthy food that should be eaten every day. In canada their recommendation is 2 servings of 75g a week, in the FDA-EPA guidelines they specify further what to avoid and what is more acceptable intake.

2. If you are so worried about the ppm levels of mercury, there is lots of choices and in an EPA-FDA guideline (updated in 2017) that have _way_ less than .24ppm. A sortable table is found here with multiple seafood options with concentrations <0.24ppm.

And given how Giagantic a leap you can exceed the allowable mercury consumption depending on WHICH fish you eat and WHERE it came from..   There's simply no predictable way to eat Safe_Fish.

They don't sell a meter so consumers can measure the fish they buy..  It's not a safe food.

This has to due with being a responsible consumer. If you don't want to take the time to put in the research into your options that's your lifestyle choice. You mentioned in another thread GMOs, tons of people don't care or don't take the time to look out for GMO foods, if you do is it really such a stretch to look into where your food is coming from? There is lots of information on what to look for and what to avoid in buying fish.

It's also important to keep in mind, that the Limit EPA sets is not an Aspirational goal for people to meet,

Ideally you want as little mercury exposure as possible.

1. It's also important to keep in mind the EPA is only looking at the negative risks of mercury consumption, they don't look at the beneficial aspects of eating fish at all because its not the purpose of their study. For more contrast on the subject the FDA-EPA advice does focus on both the pros and cons. It's also up to date and peer reviewed and Id say is a good source on the topic. You can find it here.

Ideally, you want to limit exposure to anything toxic in your diet obviously, But does that mean you'll avoid apples because of trace arsenic? tons of food with trace cyanide? Again its your life so if you want to live in absolute fear of anything with trace toxicity you'll find yourself with really not much available for a sustainable and truly healthy diet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 22:52:44 »

Levels of Mercury..

If you look at FDA's charts here.

https://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

Your idea is to eat fish that is significantly LESS than 0.24 ppm..

THAT IS NOT a solution.

Because it's impossible to KNOW the mercury ppm of the fish you got.

For example, Salmon,  it has a low average based on collected samples (In FDA's chart), 0.022.

However, the Highest concentration of the sample of salmon is 0.19

Catfish,  average is low 0.024,   highest is 0.314

How does the consumer know which concentration of catfish or salmon they just bought..

It's impossible from the consumer side to be vigilant.. By what method could you Detect the mercury of the fish.

EVEN if you managed to get _the right fish_ some how,  how do you know the next time, it comes from the same place..

How do you know they didn't build a new factory near the estuary, and the mercury level has changed..

So, that is the danger.

Now you want to talk benefits... Omegas

You can get the omega fatty acids from things like roasted walnuts with 0% chance of mercury contamination.

It makes no sense to take a risk on fish.

If you do, it's not for health, you want to eat it for taste, so be it..

But there is NO GOOD ARGUMENT for eating fish outside of being dense and ignorant..

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:01:27 »
Sure is cold on mercury, ain’t it boys

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:09:19 »

I'm sure kiwi99 is a great guy..

But he's insistent on eating a mercury contaminated food..

And we didn't even talk about dioxins.. !!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:10:18 »

I'm sure kiwi99 is a great guy..

But he's insistent on eating a mercury contaminated food..

And we didn't even talk about dioxins.. !!

This one time, I breathed out carbon dioxide

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:02:35 »

Swordfish: 0.976 pm x 170 grams =166 micrograms

So what you're saying is that mercury is delish?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:50:33 »

Swordfish: 0.976 pm x 170 grams =166 micrograms

So what you're saying is that mercury is delish?

Xactly,  the bigger the fish, the better.. because you know m0ar mercury..

Hahahahaha...

For the newbies,   the reason Bigger fish (swordfish) have so much MORE mercury than smaller fish, is because they EAT the smaller fish, and the Mercury bio-accumulates.

The modern Ocean is a dumping ground for human produced industrial chemicals.. And so there is a high level of toxic mercury AND dioxins in all of marine life..

NOTHING out of the ocean is Safe to eat..

One really shouldn't even be eating the seaweeds..

193527-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 21:55:03 »
Why are they called hamburgers if they have beef in them?
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 22:01:15 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ