Author Topic: Office chair fix and modification  (Read 300 times)

Offline delatroy

Office chair fix and modification
« on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 05:16:54 »
My office chair broke but I'm not sure what components I need to replace to fix it. Looks like the base that was meant to hold the swivel part broke:

Moreover is there a better way to repair it to make it more durable going forward?
Thank in advance

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Office chair fix and modification
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:19:10 »
I have cobbled together a few temporary repairs on office chairs that lasted anywhere from a few days to a few months, but they are notoriously-deliberately-obsolescent.

Drilling, shimming, and pinning are easy but won't last forever. Are you friendly with any welders?
There’s no doubt that evangelicalism seems to have an image problem, especially since its overwhelming alliance with Trump. In the minds of many outside the fold, evangelicalism no longer represents a specific religious position centered on sin and the need for individual salvation but rather a self-serving, power-hungry political movement that will side with the devil himself for the sake of political pragmatism. But this image problem isn’t new. Although polling shows that overall feelings toward evangelicals as a religious group have remained relatively stable since 2014, the perception of evangelicals as “agents of intolerance,” to quote John McCain back in 2008, well predates the Trump era. Moreover, despite a host of missteps and scandals, overall evangelical support for Trump as president hasn’t declined but grown. Sure, they may have issues with his moral center, or lack thereof, but they’re willing to overlook all this for the sake of political expediency, for promises of “religious freedom,” and the hope of a judiciary stacked with conservative judges. This is because, at the end of the day, evangelicalism isn’t really about personal values but, rather, social and political conversion and control. The Trump era, then, does not create a new problem for evangelicals and their image; it’s simply casting a very bright light on what has always been there, at least for the past forty years or so. - Egberto Willies 2018

Offline delatroy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 14:57:56 »
No haha. Surely these parts are common and easily replaced?

Offline BlindAssassin111

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 15:05:50 »
No haha. Surely these parts are common and easily replaced?

Your piston is broken, just get a rough estimate for the diameter of the piston that fits into the base, measure the bottom and you will find the exact ones on amazon or the like. They are a pain to separate from the chair once you have to replace them, and the fix won't last as long as you expect it to. Good luck.

Online OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 17:18:53 »
I've had some success buying replacement parts from Amazon. You can get all sorts of wheels for hardwood floors and new pistons and stuff. Next up for me is to replace the padding in the seat bottom with some kinda memory foam or honeycomb rubber like Purple mattress has.
-Dana

"Whenever you start to question your own artistic choices, just remember: Picasso drew a butt." -Patrick Rothfuss