Author Topic: I put a Hako Clear switch in a Kailh Box White and I think I'm in love  (Read 5386 times)

Offline Kevadu

So as I mentioned in another thread I've been kind of disappointed by Hako switches, preferring the old Halo design.  My main issue is the lack of any real tactile feedback as to where the actuation point is.  Halo switches had a small but perceptible post-actuation bump  that let my fingers know they had gone far enough but Hako switches are too smooth and since I can't feel the actuation point I press too far and they end just feeling really heavy.  Hako Clears have a pre-actuation bump but it happens so early it feels more confusing than anything.  You can completely clear the bump and yet find you didn't actually go far enough to actuate.

So I thought what if I put some of those special springs in a Kailh Box White?  The spring replacement options for box switches have been pretty limited but fortunately Hako switches are also box switches so the spring swap can be done without any issue.  And when placed in a Box White you still have that distinctive sharp tactility and click from the clickbar that makes the actuation point unmistakable but it's combined with the non-linear heavy Hako spring that discourages bottoming out by ramping up the force curve post actuation.

It is honestly a pretty great combo.  If you compare it to something like a Box Pale Blue--which has a heavier spring than Box White but one that follows a more conventional linear force curve--they feel pretty similar up to the click but post-click the Hako spring is clearly much stiffer.

Now I really want to try this with Hako True as well, but unfortunately the ony Hako Trues I have right now are in my NightFox, not loose, and I'm not quite willing to take it apart yet.  I have enough loose Box Whites and Hako Clears to deck out a whole board though...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: I put a Hako Clear switch in a Kailh Box White and I think I'm in love
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 10:01:04 »
I think it's worth trying the other way around too: I've tested a Box Brown spring with a Hako stem, and it was like a nicer Kailh Pro Purple, really neat.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 10:34:32 »
I haven't tried them yet, but SPRiT has a new series of high precision springs for Kailh box switches. I want to try modding my favorite box Jade with some slightly heavier springs to get a weighting between Jade and Navy. I'm thinking either 50g or 55g will be exactly right for me.

https://spritdesign.wixsite.com/sprit/kailhsprings

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 11:27:14 »
I think it's worth trying the other way around too: I've tested a Box Brown spring with a Hako stem, and it was like a nicer Kailh Pro Purple, really neat.

I did, actually.  Simply because I didn't really have anywhere to store the original Box White springs and I knew I would lose them if I kept them loose.  So I ended up putting them in the Hako housings.

Certainly with the lighter spring the tactile bump in the Hako Clears is much more noticeable.  However it's still too high for my tastes, though that seems to be a common problem in tactile Box switches.  Even Box Royal looks like it will also have this problem.  The Box White spring is also rather light.  Maybe I could have tried this with Pale Blues...

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 01:30:11 »
Well, I decked out the whole set of Alphas on my K-Type with these things and at least so far I'm loving it.  The tactility and click from the click bar leaves no question as to where the actuation point is but you still benefit from that heavy Hako Clear spring preventing you from bottoming out too much.  I think I might try decking out a real board with these switches (My K-Type is basically a giant switch tester that also works as a keyboard...).

Though it wasn't really planned (it's just what I had on hand), Halo Clear might be the right choice for this too.  With the added tactility from the click bar I think the even heavier Halo True springs could be overkill...but we will soon see because I ordered a set of those too.  I think I'll put them in Box Pale Blue housings just to keep them straight...really it shouldn't matter which you use since the only difference is the spring and the spring is being replaced anyway.

Offline manitoid

sorry to bump this old thread, but are you still liking this combo?

Are you just switching the spring or the whole housing?

Offline Kevadu

sorry to bump this old thread, but are you still liking this combo?

Are you just switching the spring or the whole housing?

It's just a spring swap.  If you tried to use a Hako slider in a clickbar switch it wouldn't have the nub to press against the clickbar.

Do I like the combo?  It's not bad, but honestly since the release of Novelkey's Box Royals I think those have more modding potential.  The 'True Royal' combo is pretty nice, though it is somewhat a matter of preference since that's a tactile switch while anything using the clickbar is going to be a clicky switch.

Offline Ruskie

I haven't tried them yet, but SPRiT has a new series of high precision springs for Kailh box switches. I want to try modding my favorite box Jade with some slightly heavier springs to get a weighting between Jade and Navy. I'm thinking either 50g or 55g will be exactly right for me.

https://spritdesign.wixsite.com/sprit/kailhsprings

Sprit and high precision dont generally go together. That is also assuming he ever actually sends the spring out. I was one of the many people whose order he "lost" aand never shipped.
Ive got myself a beefy boi

-Alf F62PE
-PCB Mount ZealV2 67g
-GMK KA1953 "OG Classic Retro"

8 pounds of clack