Author Topic: Question for any Japanese speakers/readers here (secondary keycap legends)  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Special K

I'm working on an IC for a keycap set, GMK "The Matrix" (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78931.0, yes I know it was started a long time ago) that will feature Japanese Katakana characters as secondary legends and have a question for any Japanese speakers/readers here:

Is there any particular mapping of the Katakana characters to the standard alphanumeric characters on a US keyboard that would make sense?  I was looking at the character set here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana and it looks like multiple characters have the same starting consonant sound, making a 1:1 mapping between the Katakana characters and US alphanumeric characters impossible.  For comparison, the GMK Laser set used Hiragana characters as secondary legends:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-gmk-laser-custom-keycap-set

Is there any rhyme or reason as to how those mappings were chosen?  I couldn't find an explanation in the set description and contacted that set's creator but never received a reply.

This is primarily an aesthetic choice, but I'd like to see if there's any particular layout that makes sense before paying for renders.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Question for any Japanese speakers/readers here (secondary keycap legends)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 16:47:21 »
u can't match based on sounds. the hiragana in the laser set is just what the standard is, it's almost always ordered that way across all JIS keyboards.

if you wanted to make a katakana set, it would follow the exact same order, just with the different alphabet.

I love Elzy

Offline Special K

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 18:28:51 »
u can't match based on sounds. the hiragana in the laser set is just what the standard is, it's almost always ordered that way across all JIS keyboards.

if you wanted to make a katakana set, it would follow the exact same order, just with the different alphabet.

Show Image

Thanks!
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Special K

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 13:55:11 »

Show Image

Would you be able to tell me the names of the characters circled in green below:

Some of those look like symbols that aren't part of the standard character set, but I'm not sure on that.

Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 04:38:11 »

Show Image

Would you be able to tell me the names of the characters circled in green below:

Show Image

Some of those look like symbols that aren't part of the standard character set, but I'm not sure on that.

top left extends vowel sound

bottom right 3 are comma, period, and the solid dot is punctuation for separating characters

bottom left are brackets and dakuten and handakuten
I love Elzy

Offline Special K

Does this mapping look correct:

Code: [Select]
key    katakana legend (top)    katakana legend (bot)
`/~    ro
1      nu
2      hu
3      a                        a
4      u                        u
5      e                        e
6      o                        o
7      ya                       ya
8      yu                       yu
9      yo                       yo
0      wo                       wa
-      vowel extend             ho
+\=    he
q      ta
w      te
e      i                        i
r      su
t      ka
y      so
u      na
i      ni
o      ra
p      se
[/{    open bracket             dakuten
]/}    close bracket            handakuten
\/|    mu
a      chi
s      to
d      shi
f      ha
g      ki
h      ku
j      ma
k      no
l      ri
;/:    re
'/"    ke
z      tsu                      tsu
x      sa
c      n
v      hi
b      ko
n      mi
m      mo
,/<    comma                    ne
./>    period                   ru
//?    solid dot                me
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
at a quick glance everything looks good!
I love Elzy

Offline LeoZ

I've always just typed with the romanji, never used the other keyboard.