Author Topic: ePBT/GMK Keycap interference with properly facing switches?  (Read 5729 times)

Offline nick779

ePBT/GMK Keycap interference with properly facing switches?
« on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:00:47 »
I have a three keyboards that I just built, two sets of Cherry profile ePBT ABS keycaps and a GMK set on order.

I have a filmed Zilent V2, filmed Koala, and Boba U4 DZ60 v3s that all have the LED hole on the south site of the switch. The leaf points north and the logo can be read correctly with standard orientation.

R3 (Home row) hits the switch tops on everything but the Bobas and I'm now paranoid that my GMK set is going to hit the switch tops despite being the "correct" orientation and sound "off".

Is this just these ePBT keycaps that are molded badly or can I expect the same thing from my GMK set?

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: ePBT/GMK Keycap interference with properly facing switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:04:08 »
I have read that the Zilents don't get along too well with ePBT sound-wise. I think it's R3 that bangs against the housings there.

It is recommended to use GMK keycaps with Zilent V2, as apparently there is no conflict between GMK and properly-facing Zilent switches.

Also, good to know that apparently ePBT doesn't conflict with the Bobas!

Offline nick779

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:16:55 »
That's a shame though that its not playing well with the Koalas/T1s too, but hopefully the GMK set works well with them. That sucks though as I don't have any other decent quality ABS cherry profile caps to use.

In the mean time I just cut some small chunks of Upgradekeyboard 0.2mm stab dampeners and it quieted down the caps for use with the Zilents but thats not really a solution I like.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:26:46 »
Yep I can confirm. I got a set of the epbt aps recently and the entire homerow was slamming against the top of the switch on south-facing leds. I had a set that I got in a grabbag before, but never threw them on anything else other than my beater gk61 (which is north facing) so I wasn't able to see the issue until committing to a set. GMK definitely doesn't have this issue, it's absolutely a problem with the epbt abs molds.

It's really such a shame, I love the color on the blue set, and this means that literally every epbt abs set will have this issue. :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:31:17 by Kokaloo »

Offline nick779

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:35:46 »
Are there any other decent ABS manufacturers anyone can suggest that do not have this issue?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:37:38 »
Are there any other decent ABS manufacturers anyone can suggest that do not have this issue?

As far as doubleshot cherry, not really much is out there other than GMK, JTK, and recently epbt abs. GMK has kinda been the golden standard for so long that they cornered the market, and JTK has been slow and unreliable until lately where they started pumping out gbs which are only just starting to ship so I'm not personally sure about the quality of them yet.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 22:44:04 »
Thanks for revealing this problem with ePBT ABS keycaps! Definitely a showstopper for me.

JTK has new tripleshot moulds, so there is the possibility of them being good. The "Royal Alpha" set is in GB, so that would be a good one to get, if it works out right.

I would say that even GMK isn't GMK quality these days. I am typing on Honeywell from 2017 right now, and the surface texture is simply smoother and creamier than 2019 Oblivion, for instance. 9009 R3 recovered the texture somewhat. These batches aren't created equal. At least the shape is always right. We'll see if GMK replaces my bent 9009 spacebars.

Offline nick779

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 11:08:58 »
Oh well, I guess I'll source a few decent PBT sets while I wait on KAT Cat's Eye, GMK Aurora Polaris, and GMK Think.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 14:28:53 »
The ideal move would have been to get in on the CRP group buys in Canada or on Drop. CRP is currently believed to be the top Cherry-profile PBT in terms of surface texture and legend quality.

And I think they may be closer to OG Cherry, given their lineage.

I haven't heard too many complaints about Novelkeys Cherry Profile for the price, but they only run a few colourways. And I don't see people testing them severely.

Maybe you would be well-served with Leopold SS2 keycaps? They are used on Leopolds that have correct-facing switches, so maybe they are appropriate. Leopold keyboards don't have LEDs, though. And they don't do non-standard layouts.

Offline nick779

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 07:34:00 »
I don't think I've come across a CRP GB yet, I'll look at the C64 one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 07:47:28 by nick779 »