Author Topic: [IC] KAT Arctic (GB live!)  (Read 71645 times)

Offline -Durzo

Re: [IC] KAT Arctic
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 09:49:18 »
i really want this! im in for sure

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 16:50:56 »

These will be the only kits with icon mods.

Huge thanks to OneCreativeMind for lending me the files for the icons.

I’ll have the novelties posted sometime soon
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2020, 19:24:10 by Mcnos »

Offline Popopro

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 18:19:50 »
this just gets better and better

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 04:52:44 »

These will be the only kits with icon mods.

So ne ortho snowman icon avail?

Offline tiamo123654

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 09:14:43 »
No Novelty Kit?

the animals and snowflake are the heart and soul of this set.

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 11:14:33 »
Will there be a light version of the 40's kit? I only see the dark version.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 13:29:04 »
No Novelty Kit?

the animals and snowflake are the heart and soul of this set.

I’ll have the novelties posted sometime soon
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2020, 13:30:59 by Mcnos »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 16:19:00 »
The Code keys in the modifiers kit seem redundant. Remove them and maybe move the 6u spacebar to that kit? I think that would be a more useful use of space.

As for the icon mods, I'd suggest using an upwards-facing barred arrow () for the Caps legend. A downwards-facing one doesn't make sense to me. The Caps icon is usually a variation of the Shift icon: is one such variation, and is another. However, that makes the upside-down barred (there's no Unicode symbol for it) a double variation, which at that point is too far removed from the icon imo.

I don't like the icon you chose to represent Function. It looks more like the standard Page Up symbol, . How about using a symbol like instead, representing layers? You see this in sets like GMK MoDo and others.

I think the Delete icon may look better as , so it matches the Backspace. The Insert icon may look better as or, if you want to avoid lettering altogether, .

Also, I think you may have swapped these legends around?

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2020, 01:02:06 by constexpr »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 22:51:28 »
The Code keys in the modifiers kit seem redundant. Remove them and maybe move the 6u spacebar to that kit? I think that would be a more useful use of space.

As for the icon mods, I'd suggest using an upwards-facing barred arrow () for the Caps legend. A downwards-facing one doesn't make sense to me. The Caps icon is usually a variation of the Shift icon: is one such variation, and is another. However, that makes the upside-down barred (there's no Unicode symbol for it) a double variation, which at that point is too far removed from the icon imo.

I don't like the icon you chose to represent Function. It looks more like the standard Page Up symbol, . How about using a symbol like instead, representing layers? You see this in sets like GMK MoDo and others.

I think the Delete icon may look better as , so it matches the Backspace. The Insert icon may look better as or, if you want to avoid lettering altogether, an upside-down .

Also, I think you may have swapped these legends around?
Show Image

The Code keys was a personal choice of mine and they will be staying. The 6u key is not a common key and will not be added to a kit that will cater to the majority.

On contrary, an upward facing caps lock would not make sense to me and I can guess a lot of people would prefer it this way instead a similar looking shift key with a bar as 'caps'

The function key is up for changing as I wasn't a big fan of it myself.

The two keys are not mixed up, ones a 1u tab and the other is a alternate function key.

The insert/del keys are staying as is to "stay true" to most common icon legends that are already out there.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 22:52:50 »
I think the Delete icon may look better as , so it matches the Backspace.

Meanwhile, I think the Backspace icon may look better as , so it matches the Delete.

Yeah, I'm not gonna have duplicate keys like that going on here. Can you imagine, having split bs ⌫ and a 1u ⌫ on top of each other

Also, please look at the revised international kits on the first page and let me know what you think. I took what you guys across the water said and implemented it into the  kits.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2020, 23:03:15 by Mcnos »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 01:13:57 »
The Code keys was a personal choice of mine and they will be staying. The 6u key is not a common key and will not be added to a kit that will cater to the majority.

Alright, sounds good :+1:

On contrary, an upward facing caps lock would not make sense to me and I can guess a lot of people would prefer it this way instead a similar looking shift key with a bar as 'caps'

I have seen no other set that uses a downward-facing arrow with bar for Caps Lock. This is not a standard nor common icon. Upward-facing arrow with bar, on the other hand, is a standard Caps Lock icon. Not only have we been seeing it in recent GMK sets (8008, 9009, MoDoL), but it's also been present in touch interfaces and phone keyboards for years. In fact, it's the de facto standard Caps Lock icon on phone keyboards as most major phone keyboards (iOS default, Android default, SwiftKey, Gboard) use it.

The two keys are not mixed up, ones a 1u tab and the other is a alternate function key.

I'm not sure I understand how those two keys might be useful. The R2 1u Tab is useful on 40% ortho boards, but this is not a 40s kit; and the R2 1.5u Function I don't think I've ever seen used anywhere. Beyond that, the primary reason why they look mixed up is that the two corresponding keys in the regular text modifiers kit are an extra R2 1.5u Tab and a R2 1u Up.

The insert/del keys are staying as is to "stay true" to most common icon legends that are already out there.

The current Insert icon is another one that's not common — at least not as a legend for Insert. In fact, the upside-down Shift arrow is a popular Caps Lock icon legend, as I'm sure you know. The most common Insert icon legend would probably be (e.g. GMK Darling) or (e.g. GMK Red Honey), as mentioned earlier. I think looks nicer than the , so maybe consider using that for this set.

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2020, 01:36:56 by constexpr »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 02:32:37 »

Alright, sounds good :+1:

I have seen no other set that uses a downward-facing arrow with bar for Caps Lock. This is not a standard nor common icon. Upward-facing arrow with bar, on the other hand, is a standard Caps Lock icon. Not only have we been seeing it in recent GMK sets (8008, 9009, MoDoL), but it's also been present in touch interfaces and phone keyboards for years. In fact, it's the de facto standard Caps Lock icon on phone keyboards as most major phone keyboards (iOS default, Android default, SwiftKey, Gboard) use it.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

I'm not sure I understand how those two keys might be useful. The R2 1u Tab is useful on 40% ortho boards, but this is not a 40s kit; and the R2 1.5u Function I don't think I've ever seen used anywhere. Beyond that, the primary reason why they look mixed up is that the two corresponding keys in the regular text modifiers kit are an extra R2 1.5u Tab and a R2 1u Up.

Show Image

The current Insert icon is another one that's not common — at least not as a legend for Insert. In fact, the upside-down Shift arrow is a popular Caps Lock icon legend, as I'm sure you know. The most common Insert icon legend would probably be (e.g. GMK Darling) or (e.g. GMK Red Honey), as mentioned earlier. I think looks nicer than the , so maybe consider using that for this set.

Show Image

I see the issue with the duplicate keys now. Thank you for pointing that out, I’ll have the corrected renders up by tomorrow.

As for the Insert/Del situation, I should note that I am utilizing OCM’s icons for this set as he has given me grace. I did not create these icons but I’m a fan of how they look as they stand but I hate icons for navigational keys, so I could be on the fence of just cutting out the keys as it is.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2020, 02:43:54 by Mcnos »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:24:51 »

Meanwhile, I think the Backspace icon may look better as , so it matches the Delete.

Yeah, I'm not gonna have duplicate keys like that going on here. Can you imagine, having split bs ⌫ and a 1u ⌫ on top of each other

Well, in that case it'd be and , so it's cool.

Also, please look at the revised international kits on the first page and let me know what you think. I took what you guys across the water said and implemented it into the  kits.

Looking...

North: no issues.

South:
- R4 (second row): 2" and are already present in base; the second «» duplicates the «» already in R4.
- R4: don't forget the correct alignment of and «»
- R3 has ]{ (closing, opening) but it ought to be [{ (both opening)
- R2: don't forget to correct the size of Ç (both the 'N' in "Ñ" and the 'C' in "Ç" should be the same size as the alphas in the base kit).

French: no issues.

ALSO!

Not actually nutty further suggestions:

1) On the dark mods kit, could we have the entire F row in dark color (instead of white F1..F4 and F9..F12 and dark F5..F8)? If going with dark mods and frostbite alphas (including the space bar in it), only eight of the F keys would remain white, and that'd be a bit weird.

2) On the "US ISO" side, the terminal style is gaining acceptance. You could take the R1 <> key off each international kit and have it in both base alphas kits ("alphas" and "frostbite") instead.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:54:42 »

Looking...

South:
- R4 (second row): 2" and are already present in base; the second «» duplicates the «» already in R4.
- R2: don't forget to correct the size of Ç (both the 'N' in "Ñ" and the 'C' in "Ç" should be the same size as the alphas in the base kit).

ALSO!

1) On the dark mods kit, could we have the entire F row in dark color (instead of white F1..F4 and F9..F12 and dark F5..F8)? If going with dark mods and frostbite alphas (including the space bar in it), only eight of the F keys would remain white, and that'd be a bit weird.

2) On the "US ISO" side, the terminal style is gaining acceptance. You could take the R1 <> key off each international kit and have it in both base alphas kits ("alphas" and "frostbite") instead.

Yeah I misread specific icons you were refering to last night.

As for the F-Row addition, I'll add a separate kit for the missing keys.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:53:18 »

Looking...

South:

ALSO!

Offline bd_slade

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 16:33:00 »
Thanks for considering all the feedback that you are! Really nice set!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 16:53:55 »
Small suggestion, if you're going to make an extra F-keys kit, could you maybe add F1-F10 keys for keyboards with two F-key columns on the left of the keyboard? I don't have such a keyboard yet but I'd love to get one in the future, so I'd get that kit.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:09:54 »
Small suggestion, if you're going to make an extra F-keys kit, could you maybe add F1-F10 keys for keyboards with two F-key columns on the left of the keyboard? I don't have such a keyboard yet but I'd love to get one in the future, so I'd get that kit.

That's actually a good idea. I doubt anyone with one of those bad boys would buy my sets though.

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:45:13 »
Any chance of white alphas+gray legends? If not, understandable, 2 alphas is already a lot for a set
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2020, 20:41:20 by Nuclear Nachos »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 17:48:08 »
redacted, nothing to see here folks
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 March 2020, 06:00:29 by Mcnos »

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 18:11:31 »
Text novelties :thumb:

What about an alternative F-row kit with -1°C, -2°C, ... -12°C legends?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2020, 18:15:36 by dmatx1 »

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 20:46:47 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh snap these text novelties are tight.

Offline gminso

Re: [IC] KAT Arctic (Updated novelties)
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 22:23:25 »
its pretty funny that someone bugged you to run SA but you run KAT instead  :D

Offline thedavefulton

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:47:35 »
This is a bit nit-picky, but the Kelvin temp shouldn't have the degree symbol. And that is about the only thing I remember from 2 semesters of chemistry :)

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:56:27 »
This is a bit nit-picky, but the Kelvin temp shouldn't have the degree symbol. And that is about the only thing I remember from 2 semesters of chemistry :)

Yeah someone told me that lol. I’ll be removing it so don’t worry

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 15:30:00 »
Finalized the novelty kit, it's quite the hefty boi

Alternate F-Row

and a infamous adxlk deskmat

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 16:06:27 by Mcnos »

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:36:45 »

My request may have been overlooked... Could this addition be possible to this set? Thanks!

Offline YMwoo

Re: [IC] KAT Arctic (Updated kits, novelties & deskmat)
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 03:00:01 »
wondering: will you have a render with blue alpha and white mods?
also, if I may have a request: can we get a render of standard kit in 60% (basically just like the first image with JTK Arctic but in KAT profile so we can have direct comparison?)

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 10:54:56 »

My request may have been overlooked... Could this addition be possible to this set? Thanks!

Yeah, I’ll add a snowman kit for it. Only in text mods though, these kits are getting out of hamd

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 10:55:37 »
wondering: will you have a render with blue alpha and white mods?
also, if I may have a request: can we get a render of standard kit in 60% (basically just like the first image with JTK Arctic but in KAT profile so we can have direct comparison?)

When it gets closer to GB I’ll have more renders up

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:25:04 »

Yeah, I’ll add a snowman kit for it. Only in icon mods though, these kits are getting out of hamd

Lovely!  ;D

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:29:22 »

These are the sales figures for kat eternal. Clearly the ortho crowd wants icon mods, not text.

Please reconsider doing the snowman ortho kit with icon mods instead of text.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:43:39 »
Show Image

These are the sales figures for kat eternal. Clearly the ortho crowd wants icon mods, not text.

Did I miss something? It looks like there is a text ortho and icon ortho kit

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:44:32 »
Oh this is exciting :D Good to see more KAT sets, always wanted to try one cause I've heard good things.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 13:08:41 »
btw the alternative f row kit, as it stands rn, doesn't include alternatives but duplicates.

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 13:22:36 »
Would there be a possibility of white alphas with gray text instead of blue? Would look nice with the gray mods to have a more color neutral kit

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 15:41:08 »
btw the alternative f row kit, as it stands rn, doesn't include alternatives but duplicates.

Lol oh yeah, I’ll have the colors fixed. Big dumb

It's been fixed
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 16:19:01 by Mcnos »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 15:41:40 »
Would there be a possibility of white alphas with gray text instead of blue? Would look nice with the gray mods to have a more color neutral kit

Look into buying a set of Honeywell

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 16:06:01 »

KAT Honeywell is a thing?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 16:06:48 »

KAT Honeywell is a thing?

GMK or SA Honeywell or copycats are a thing

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 18:06:26 »

Yeah wanted pbt preferably and wanted to try kat profile, :/ thought it would be slightly easy to include more sets because of how the MOQ is done, guess i'll go for the light blue legends then

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 19:28:46 »

Yeah wanted pbt preferably and wanted to try kat profile, :/ thought it would be slightly easy to include more sets because of how the MOQ is done, guess i'll go for the light blue legends then

I want to avoid flooding this GB set with so many different kits. Adding the kit you're requesting doesn't quite fit the theme either so it's tough to justify putting it in

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 01:29:25 »
Show Image

Op only wants to do one white ortho kit, I'm arguing it should be icon, not text, since it's more than twice as popular!

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 10:43:03 »
Show Image

Op only wants to do one white ortho kit, I'm arguing it should be icon, not text, since it's more than twice as popular!

Did op say that somewhere? The first post has kit/renders of icon and text.

Edit: I think I might understand now. There are icon and text of the black ortho but not the white? Only text of the white ortho?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 March 2020, 10:44:37 by rockydbull »

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 12:48:07 »

yea fair

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 12:54:36 »
Show Image

Edit: I think I might understand now. There are icon and text of the black ortho but not the white? Only text of the white ortho?
Yeah I was confused as well at first but OP did say a Snowman 40s kit would only be with text mods, check reply #129.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 05:47:42 »
Show Image

Yeah I was confused as well at first but OP did say a Snowman 40s kit would only be with text mods, check reply #129.

Correct

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 01:22:17 »
Show Image

Correct

So why are you adamant on running it with text, even though icons are clearly at least twice as popular and arguably more beautiful?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 04:28:53 »
I hate this “x” is better than “y” debate.

I’ll just add both text and icon 40’s/Ortho for snowman.