Author Topic: Bariatric surgery  (Read 6224 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Bariatric surgery
« on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 09:57:18 »
Anyone here had a bariatric surgery?

I'm organising my surgery next month. After being obese whole life I decided that I won't be able to lose weight by myself and surgery is the only way I can save myself.
I've been thinking about it for years and decided that if I want to change my life (or just live), I must do it.

Was wondering is there anyone here who had it and could share your experience.

EDIT: surgery date 19/04/2023  :'(
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2023, 08:26:19 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Bariatric surgery
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 10:07:59 »
stay alive phinix. avoid the light !!

/prayer circle

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 10:42:09 »
stay alive phinix. avoid the light !!

/prayer circle

;) :thumb:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 11:28:12 »
Whatever you do, make sure that all your doctors are acquainted with your multiple conditions, and that they talk to each-other so that there is a coherent plan going forward.
(Saying that from experience of having one set of surgeons not having read my medical history properly, leading to unnecessary complications and prolonged sickness)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 16:03:16 »
Just remember: There is no such thing as minor surgery. All surgery has inherit complications, so stay safe and clean before and after.

Years ago I was gonna get stomach ulcer surgery where they close up an ulcer in my stomach lining. But I made the same mistake I have before of watching a video of the surgery first, which made me nope the **** out of it.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 17:17:30 »
My sis had a stomach bypass to lose weight, years ago. I was living abroad so it was a while before I first saw her again. She had lost so much weight when I first saw her, I almost didn't recognise her. It's honestly one of the scariest things I've ever seen in my life, but it really helped her a lot.

She's been living much healthier since, but it's a major surgery and it's not easy, there are a lot of (inevitable) side effects that comes with an operation like this. Make sure you're very well-informed about the risks, the effects, what you can expect, the difficulties, etc. This will make it much easier to cope with it as well.

Good luck and all the best!  :thumb:
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 17:18:28 »
phinix are you getting the reversible one or the permanent one.

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 18:58:54 »
My sis had a stomach bypass to lose weight, years ago. I was living abroad so it was a while before I first saw her again. She had lost so much weight when I first saw her, I almost didn't recognise her. It's honestly one of the scariest things I've ever seen in my life, but it really helped her a lot.

She's been living much healthier since, but it's a major surgery and it's not easy, there are a lot of (inevitable) side effects that comes with an operation like this. Make sure you're very well-informed about the risks, the effects, what you can expect, the difficulties, etc. This will make it much easier to cope with it as well.

Thanks Chyros!
Yeah, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for it. I know my life will change entirely. I wonder how I'm going to look like after 6-12 months, but it will be like you said - scary **** :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 18:59:15 »
phinix are you getting the reversible one or the permanent one.

Permanent - gastric sleeve.
Got confirmation of surgery and date - 19th April. It might be like my new birthday...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 March 2023, 08:08:43 »

Thanks Chyros!
Yeah, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for it. I know my life will change entirely. I wonder how I'm going to look like after 6-12 months, but it will be like you said - scary **** :)
For what it's worth, I had a cosmetic operation a few months ago; a hair transplant. Of course that's not really a health issue, but I'm still very happy with the result and glad I did it. Being very aware of what's going to happen, what problems you're likely to face etc. made the process a lot easier for me too. Obviously yours is a much more drastic procedure, though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 March 2023, 09:41:22 »
For what it's worth, I had a cosmetic operation a few months ago; a hair transplant. Of course that's not really a health issue, but I'm still very happy with the result and glad I did it. Being very aware of what's going to happen, what problems you're likely to face etc. made the process a lot easier for me too. Obviously yours is a much more drastic procedure, though.

In theory everyone should get cosmetic surgery,

In the future, when they invent gene mods,  there's objectively no difference between natural/ unnatural,  so what was the point of having a stigma in the first place.

That said, tp4 doesn't think what peeps are doing with water balloons is a good idea, what with the calcium shell/rejection/ side effects. Saw the documentary.

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 09:02:45 »
This is very sad to hear.

Good luck with the operation, phinix.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 09:16:59 »
This is very sad to hear.

Good luck with the operation, phinix.

Thanks iri.
I hope that this will change my life entirely. I mean, I couldn't do it by myself, so unfortunately it comes to this now :'(
I've tried so many times to change my life style, but failed sooner or later. So many people around did that surgery and it changed their lifes.
Maybe, if all goes well, in 6 months I will change my username from phinix to something like slim-mike :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 11:03:06 »
Alrighty, going to airport now, Tuesday - tests and all checkups, Wednesday afternoon - surgery.
Wish me luck! :)

(said goodbye to all my keyboards ;))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 11:54:07 »
Alrighty, going to airport now, Tuesday - tests and all checkups, Wednesday afternoon - surgery.

Tp4 is stress eating from the nerves.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 16:04:00 »
hope you are fine  :D
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 17:30:28 »
EDIT: surgery date 19/04/2023  :'(
How'd it go?
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline phinix

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 02:32:16 »

Tp4 is stress eating from the nerves.

Show Image

Thanks tp4, you can stop eating now, its all good all over😊

Its time for a celebration ramen now! 😁

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 02:37:00 »
Its done, surgery went well, no complications.
Didnt write anything earlier, cause was weak and in pain first few days.
I'm getting better now every day.
Abdobinal pain is away now, only problem is that I'm weak and walk slowly.
I'm having a flight back on Sunday so will report back after.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 02:46:05 »
Good to hear it went well! :D

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 03:02:58 »
nice
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 07:58:04 »

Offline mccrispy

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 May 2023, 11:04:27 »
It's done, surgery went well, no complications. Didn't write anything earlier, the cause was weak and in pain the first few days. I'm getting better now every day. Even before the operation, my sister, who is studying to be a doctor, shared with me a https://studymoose.com/free-essays/childhood-obesity link where I read about the problems of childhood obesity. And imagine, even children do such an operation, and after that, they live a full life. This gave me hope. Abdominal pain is away now, the only problem is that I'm weak and walk slowly. I'm having a flight back on Sunday so will report back after.

Glad you're all right  :thumb:
My friend did this a few years ago, it helped him. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 May 2023, 09:00:40 by mccrispy »

Offline phinix

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 May 2023, 12:22:44 »

Glad you're all right  :thumb:
My friend did this a few years ago, it helped him. Good luck!

Thank you :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 May 2023, 12:23:15 »
It's been 4 weeks now post surgery.

I supposed to eat a lot of proteins in powder, mixed with water or milk, but I can't do this, not that much, I feel like I'm gonna vomit, its horrible.
Because of the size of my stomach, I practically need to eat and drink all the time. Cannot do both at the same time, need to be in 30-60 minutes breaks.
So supposed to drink 2l of liquid and eat 5-6 meals, around 100-150ml each. I should eat 100g of proteins every day.
So if you do the math, sounds like I should be eating or drinking all the time during the day. Its exhausting and horrible.
I've been eating proteins with yogurt, white soft cheese, milk, kefir. I cannot look at anything white...

When I try (and should in 5th week) some solid food, its not good, I lost my appetite entirely. Nothing tastes good.
I don't want to eat, I'm constantly thirsty, but I cannot drink a lot, max 150ml and in small sips, cannot chug like I used to.
Image being exhausted after a walk, hot and thirty and not be able to drink a glass of water.

I know. I need to adjust, get used to it, but even psychologically things changed. I'm emotional most of the time, pissed I cannot eat like I used to or what I used to eat, cannot drink, lost my taste and craving. I'm not hungry, at all. I'm forcing myself to eat all the WHITE crap...
I used to drink carbonated mineral water, not I can only drink still water, which makes me sick. Light tea is max what I can have, no coffee. Watermelon comes in handy.
That's it...

Where is my QK80?! I need to occupy myself with something...
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 May 2023, 12:30:58 by phinix »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 May 2023, 14:43:27 »
My sister had similar problems after her surgery. It's obviously an extremely radical process and it will take a lot of time, frustration and discomfort to get used to it. It will get better with time though, obviously. If anything, what helped me, was to remind myself that this is what I wanted. Not saying my hair transplant is on the same level as your surgery, of course.

Offline iri

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 15:30:36 »
Hey phinix, try clear whey isolate by Myprotein if you're allowed to. It's less gross than regular protein.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 18:46:02 »
Hey phinix, try clear whey isolate by Myprotein if you're allowed to. It's less gross than regular protein.

Like this one? https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/clear-whey-isolate/12081395.html
Is it like flavoured drink? Not milkshake?

Offline iri

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 11:51:21 »
Yes, it tastes like a random industrially produced 'fruit' drink.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 12:22:06 »
I too have this year, for medical reasons been drinking lots of "nutritional drinks" given to me by clinical nutritionists and also shakes for body builders given to me by my brother, and I much preferred the latter.
You can give any crap to people that need it, but you can't sell crap to people who have a choice.

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 17:57:00 »
Yes, it tastes like a random industrially produced 'fruit' drink.

Thanks, I ordered Orange-Mango flavour, will see if it helps :)