Author Topic: I Built a Website For Searching Keycaps by Color  (Read 8286 times)

Offline KeebMaker

I Built a Website For Searching Keycaps by Color
« on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 09:10:51 »
Hi there,

I am building a website https://keeb-finder.com/keycaps that aims for helping mechanical keyboard enthusiasts finding and comparing keyboards and keycap sets with specific technical criteria.

The data is as much automated as possible, so that the prices, product availability and existence is always up to date. In addition I correct and patch the scraped data per hand. I am currently heavily working on making the data more comprehensive. The hard part here is currently finding good vendors, that provide a good amount of products, so that setting up scraper scripts is worth it.

In order to make the website really useful for the mechanical keyboard community, I need your help and I would love to hear your feedback!

Do you think this is useful at all?
What should I integrate/ improve to make it more valuable for you?
What is the most pain for you looking for new keyboards and parts?
What vendors do you would like to get integrated?

Thank you so much in advance!
Patrick

Offline SzGeri

Re: I Built a Website For Searching Keycaps by Color
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 17:31:35 »
It's a great idea and there is a lot of potential in this site but there are a couple of things I find strange about it.

You don't feature most of the biggest and most popular brands on the site like GMK, Keyreative, JTK, Milkyway, keykobo, etc. I get that some sets are not in-stock, but nowadays many of them stay available for a long time, have extras, and can easily be found on the aftermarket. It just feels strange to feature the clones of the original designs but not the originals. It would be good for reference as well even if they are not available to make sure designers don't copy existing sets for example.

The naming of the selectable fields is a bit weird given they all have a universally used name. "Inner" is called Alphas, "Outer" is called Modifiers, "Font" is called legends.

The color selector feels unintuitive as a color wheel would be much easier to use than a scroll list of colors. Or literally anything else.

For features that are missing, I think a production method filter would be nice so we could select between double-shot, dye-sub, etc.

Here is a list of keycap manufacturers that should probably be on the list.

Offline Aquarius

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 03:04:21 »
i've tried this website, it's awesome! i can mix and match colours as i like! :thumb:

Offline henrix

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 June 2023, 19:17:57 »
Have to agree with SzGeri -- the selection method feels unintuitive, and the lack of major manufacturers cuts down the site's utility drastically.

Besides that, I think there are a lot more search criteria that could be added, the highest-priority of which would be kitting. Things like 40%, 60%, TKL, and Full-Size (along with 7U, Tsangan, etc.) are a big priority for many.

Some categorization of legends would also be great -- whether or not there are sublegends, what they are, and what kinds of modifiers (text, icon, or both) would all be super helpful. I know those would be hard to implement when trying to automate things, but it really would help go the extra mile to be a really great search engine.