Author Topic: I tried to keymap my keyboard and now it run crazy  (Read 4845 times)

Offline hieuuk

I tried to keymap my keyboard and now it run crazy
« on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 07:48:24 »
Hi, so I have just bought a old custom 60% from a guy. When I got it, it is all working ok. The first thing I try to do is to flash a new keymap to the keyboard. As when I plug it in, it show GH60, so I try to key map using GH60 template via TKG. The flash seem running ok but after that the keyboard run crazy. The number and the QWE row is ok, but ASD and ZXC isn't working. I then try Satan GH60 and GH60chn, but both isn't working. 1 of those set just make the zxc round input combo of key, but both, the ASD round isn't input anything. I suspect I might be choose the wrong board format, but I have no clue which one I should choose. I attached the back of the pcb here, hope you know what it is please. It didn't say what board at the back, jusr ver1, 2 2015-04-26.

Hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: I tried to keymap my keyboard and now it run crazy
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 08:04:29 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

One thing's for sure - that's not a standard GH60 as it doesn't have the breakout holes at the top and bottom.  Sadly there are a lot of Chinese copies and until recently there wasn't much standardisation of the matrix so firmware was fun, as you've found.  Have you asked the person you bought it from?  They might have the firmware they used or know where it came from...

Other than that you can see that the diodes connect down the columns so it shouldn't be impossible to reverse engineer the firmware starting with a version that partially works.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 08:15:47 »
The seller got it as a gift so he didn't know too. So I guess from what you mean I just look at the draw lines on the pcb and change the wiring in Keyboard set up please? Sorry I'm still very noob in custom department. Do I need to change anything in the pin for it please?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 08:26:33 »
Yes, just follow the lines and see what doesn't match the firmware.  I make this sound easy but it's probably not a good first project as you can't see the other side of the board.

I'd be happy to help you figure it out but I'll give it a while in case someone recognises the PCB and can link some firmware - it would be a shame to spend hours looking at it for nothing.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 08:47:04 »
That sound amazing. Thanks for your help. I will try to do as well. I do like some challenge. Hopefully someone know about this would be much easier.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 11:00:02 »
Ok, no takers...

I've had a look and can't find any 'GH60' firmware that uses different pins for the rows.  There are some differences in the columns, but as the top rows work with the standard GH60 firmware I'll assume they are OK for now.

I can't make out what goes where so went a different route - please find attached a hex file which has all the pins not used for the top rows or columns mapped as rows.  Every key on each row is set to output the pin name used for that row so if you press a key on the bottom three rows it should type something like 'B0', if most of the keys on that row match you know the pin you need for that row.  Looks very strange in EasyAVR (pic below) but should work :))
212108-0
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 12:14:11 »
Thank you very much. I will try to set it up asap. It is already midnight here. I will post the update once I can get test.

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 19:40:43 »
Quick update, so I updated the hex to the keyboard and the result is:

Row 3 is : F6 but The K button isn't working
Row 4 is : F7 but The M button isn't working
Row 5 is : D5 and working full Row.

As you mentioned you removed the pin for row 1 and row 2, it doesn't give out any thing please.

I attached the back of M and K in here too, hope that helps.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 19:51:41 »
Well that's good (apart from M and K...)

I've put all the row pins in the right places so hopefully the attached will be a working standard layout, though somehow I doubt there's anything in there that will fix M and K.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 20:07:53 »
Ok, so crazy, it's 100% working now..... I still don't know how you did got it work out and how fast it is, but it's amazing :). Thank you so much.

I'm still try to reverse engineer from what you did with EasyAVR, I think I still have a long way to learn on this.

Can I ask if you can send the json file or a map for this please? I try to customize keymap this board to see how it go please.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 20:29:26 »
Keyboards are quite simple really but hard to explain, I learned by spending hours probing a fullsize board with a multimeter.  The dodgy firmware telling you the pins?  I came up with that today - no-one's ever had a half known board before and it may never happen again but I do like a problem to solve.

The JSON won't change as that's what letter goes on what key, what you need to change is the pins.  I don't do TMK/QMK but if you want to this is what it needs to say, then the GH60 Satan firmware should work:

rows=D0, D1, F6, F7, D5
cols=F0, F1, E6, C7, C6, B7, D4, B1, B0, B5, B4, D7, D6, B3

Or you can use EasyAVR.  Assuming you're in windows download the windows version extract and run it, that will make a folder C:\Users\your username\.EasyAVR\Boards - save the attached config file in that folder then close and open the program again so it notices it.  Then File -> New and chose GH60?? and customise as you want.

Not sure what LEDs you have or if they work?  If there are some and they don't let me know and I'll rig something up to find out where they are too.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 February 2019, 20:31:54 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 22:33:25 »
Thank you very much. I will try to set it up. I can use EasyAVR so I might able to add the py file in please.

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 22:34:34 »
When I first got it. I don't see any led though. It might be without any. I can see the caplock light is on though. I will look more careful on the switch see if there is light.

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 01:01:07 »
Hi, it's working perfectly with new keymap via EasyAVR please.   :thumb:

I can't believe you can work out the Pin. I don't think I can make it working without you though.

I can't thank enough to get my keyboard working again.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 04:42:33 »
No problem, glad it's working.  Looking at your first pic it looks like there might be an LED on the Escape key as well?  If there is I'd like to make it work then I can get the board added to EasyAVR so it's easier for the next person.

Have fun playing with your new board :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 14:31:26 »
From the look at the pin, I believe they might have led light on some button as well. but from the clear switch cover, I can't work out if the light is there. So I'm not sure if it will work, but if you want to give it a go, I'm happy to upload it to my board and see how it going, would be amazing if it can work with back light (I didn't expect that when I bought it :P).

I noticed normally, 1 swith is solder to 2 slot, but I notice a lot of them there are 2 slot on top got solder too, but as I can't see the top, I can't work out if it is actually got any light stick to it.

PS: I'm reply using my GH60 Random PCB with Box Navy and Matt3o dev/ty cap. And I'm loving it. Although I might looking into Box Jade in the future as Navy a little bit heavy for my taste.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2019, 14:38:36 by hieuuk »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 17:21:29 »
That's a good looking board, loving the Tux key :thumb:

The PCB has a resistor for every key so it could be backlit but there are definitely some missing.  Usually the LEDs stick out but not with Box switches so how many maybe nobody knows...

The config you have has the backlighting the same as the Satan - have you tried setting a key to BL_ENABLE?  It might just work.  If not I'll have to make two versions where you hold a number key to enable a pin as if it has an LED attached to it, as you can't be sure which way round it's connected and LEDs only light up if the power's flowing the right way.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 01:47:57 »
Unfortunately, BL Enable isn't work please. It not turn anything on. I tried both BL Enable and BL mode just in case anyways. No Light is up even the caplock (not sure if it's related, but just FYI)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 05:18:58 »
Sorry for the delay, I was busy or too tired to concentrate on something I have no way to test.

Please find attached two hex files that do the same thing - when you hold a number 1-6 they activate a pin which will light up an LED, assuming there is one and it's attached in the right way.  If you let me know which numbers have an effect in each file and what lights up I'll give them proper names and update the real config file.  Caps lock will work as normal in both.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 10:19:16 »
Hi, I have tried to uploaded both files to my board and try to hold 1->6 please, unfortunately, nothing light up. I think they simply doesn't have Led on it, such a shame. Sorry to waste your time :(.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 10:41:55 »
No problem, it was my idea!  It really looks like there should be at least some other LEDs as some holes are filled with solder.  Now is the point where I start to doubt myself...

If you want to be sure you could get a 1.5V button cell battery and press it between the LED pads, you'll have to try both ways just in case.  If any glow, however dimly, I messed something up and if I did l'll happily have another look.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 11:16:52 »
Sorry for the late reply. I have found button battery, the small type for Watch, try to connect it ưith the solder that suppose to be light but the light isn't coming up. My theory is, it might have light at some point and my previous owner change the switch and removed it, so still no luck with the light unfortunately :(

Offline duykhang2211

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 04:21:25 »
Ok, no takers...

I've had a look and can't find any 'GH60' firmware that uses different pins for the rows.  There are some differences in the columns, but as the top rows work with the standard GH60 firmware I'll assume they are OK for now.

I can't make out what goes where so went a different route - please find attached a hex file which has all the pins not used for the top rows or columns mapped as rows.  Every key on each row is set to output the pin name used for that row so if you press a key on the bottom three rows it should type something like 'B0', if most of the keys on that row match you know the pin you need for that row.  Looks very strange in EasyAVR (pic below) but should work :))
(Attachment Link)

I wonder how you make the out put of key to be the name of pin out.
I have same problem and I love your idea and want to try