Author Topic: One of my trackballs is noticeably smoother than the other, can I fix that?  (Read 5051 times)

Offline supamesican

One is an m570 the other an ms trackball optical. Now obviously the newer m570 is going to be somewhat smoother because its newer. I've been using it for a bit and love it but I ordered a used ms trackball optical because I love the way it looked and it is the best feeling input device I've ever used. The only thing is the ball feels rough to use, that makes it harder to use. Almost like its rubbing against something, kinda sounds like it too and small movements kinda stick on it. Does that mean it needs to be lubbed, if so what do I use? Are the barrings just bad, if so can I replace those? Or even a new ball? I tried cleaning it and it did help some. One of these is going to work with me so if I can't fix the trackball optical I'll just take that with me, but I was kinda hoping to keep it at home since it looks so much nicer.

Offline SRTroN

Re: One of my trackballs is noticeably smoother than the other, can I fix that?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 02:39:12 »
This is going to sound like a joke but it isn't. Rub the ball on your forehead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 08:26:55 »
This is going to sound like a joke but it isn't. Rub the ball on your forehead.

Don't let your coworkers see you do this.. hahahahahahah

Also, I think if you cleaned the bearings (if it has bearings, with some alcohol and cotton swab)  then drip a drop of oil on them..

Should smooth out.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 14:11:13 »
The coating they use to create the clear surface over the little flecks in the ball wears down overtime. Kind of like the pads on a regular mouse. Or if the previous user dropped the ball there could be flat spots that cause inconsistency afaik. My Logitech Marble has flat spots because I am a trackball noob. Also, I found that dry skin therapy type lotions help smooth out a loose trackball. My hands were cracking from washing dishes so I used a special kind of balm and slowly realized that my trackball was actually rolling around like it should. Too much might clog up the lens above the sensor, though. Those lenses are a pita to remove and clean. :confused:

Offline MJL

Read a recommendation years ago to wipe the ball with ULTIMOX 226 Perfluoropolyether PFPE PTFE Grease 40 gm ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTIMOX-226-Perfluoropolyether-PFPE-PTFE-Grease-40-gm-Auto-O2-Krytox-205-206-226-/281071718178?hash=item41712e0f22:g:ylwAAOxyoA1RL~wN ) and wipe it off again. Whenever my trackball feels that it is not moving freely I do this, about every 4-6 months.