geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Chip shortage update end of 2021.. more bad news

<< < (2/3) > >>

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Maledicted on Tue, 09 November 2021, 08:50:46 ---That's the one good thing I see out of this. So much perfectly good hardware is recycled for no good reason at all. My desktop's i7 came out of a bucket of processors at the same recycling facility. Maybe people will stop upgrading for nominal gains and trashing hardware that could do whatever they need for another 10 or 15 years.

My newest car is a 2012, and I hate it.  ;D Too bad we can't undo cash for clunkers.

--- End quote ---
TONS of good, cheap hardware, and Win11 will only accelerate it.

As for the new-ish car...
You really don't want to go back too much further for a daily driver. Between wear and tear and safety features it's just not really a good idea. Pre-2000 (ish) crash ratings were not as good, and do you really want to trust a 25 year old airbag to deploy even if you had one?

I'm all for old cars. I LOOVE old cars, but I wouldn't want to be doing 15-30k miles a year on an old car due to the safety of it. I was okay with it until I saw the Bel Air/Malibu crash test video, that was a game  changer for me. If you think the Bel Air got wrecked, 70's and 80's tin cans would fare even worse, at least it had some mass to it. Gotta drive them like you're riding a motorcycle.

For those curious:
Note they talk about lack of seat belts, airbag and such to help the passenger... That doesn't help at all when the entire cabin was crushed.

Maledicted:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 09 November 2021, 17:31:16 ---
--- Quote from: Maledicted on Tue, 09 November 2021, 08:50:46 ---That's the one good thing I see out of this. So much perfectly good hardware is recycled for no good reason at all. My desktop's i7 came out of a bucket of processors at the same recycling facility. Maybe people will stop upgrading for nominal gains and trashing hardware that could do whatever they need for another 10 or 15 years.

My newest car is a 2012, and I hate it.  ;D Too bad we can't undo cash for clunkers.

--- End quote ---
TONS of good, cheap hardware, and Win11 will only accelerate it.

As for the new-ish car...
You really don't want to go back too much further for a daily driver. Between wear and tear and safety features it's just not really a good idea. Pre-2000 (ish) crash ratings were not as good, and do you really want to trust a 25 year old airbag to deploy even if you had one?

I'm all for old cars. I LOOVE old cars, but I wouldn't want to be doing 15-30k miles a year on an old car due to the safety of it. I was okay with it until I saw the Bel Air/Malibu crash test video, that was a game  changer for me. If you think the Bel Air got wrecked, 70's and 80's tin cans would fare even worse, at least it had some mass to it. Gotta drive them like you're riding a motorcycle.

For those curious:
Note they talk about lack of seat belts, airbag and such to help the passenger... That doesn't help at all when the entire cabin was crushed.

--- End quote ---

Right, Windows 11. I still haven't bothered to even look into all of the features (or lack of features) it actually adds. I love how our school district just finally upgraded everything to Windows 10 and M$ announces they've changed their mind about 10 being the last version of Windows soon after.

My oldest car is a 2001 Saturn SC2, that's got a unibody construction and crumple zones. I wish I were rich to own classic cars like that. Rust eats everything here, so classics of any kind aren't cheap. I just like being able to feel the road, the power steering, the clutch and the shifter. Everything in the Sonic is electronic. Playing a video game with my G27 racing wheel with force feedback feels more realistic than actually driving that car. I can't even tell it is losing traction on the highway until I visibly see myself drift out of sync with where I have moved the wheel.

fohat.digs:
When I was 7 Dad bought Mother a 1959 Impala *convertible* light metallic blue with a white top and blue interior, pretty much like this:

It was  AWESOME  and all the other kids were jealous of me. We kids used to stand up in the back when we were out on the road, and when my Dad went over rolling hills fast enough for us to come up off the seat, my sister called them "stomach bumps"

Maledicted:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Tue, 09 November 2021, 18:15:08 ---When I was 7 Dad bought Mother a 1959 Impala *convertible* light metallic blue with a white top and blue interior, pretty much like this:

It was  AWESOME  and all the other kids were jealous of me. We kids used to stand up in the back when we were out on the road, and when my Dad went over rolling hills fast enough for us to come up off the seat, my sister called them "stomach bumps"

--- End quote ---

I'm generally not a fan of the aesthetics of cars of that period, but that car is beautiful. Why did you put convertible in quotes?

I had never even been in a convertible until I bought one recently. I have literally driven it with the top down whenever it is not below 40 degrees Fahrenheit and/or raining ever since.

fohat.digs:
I emphasized convertible, those are asterisks not quotes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version