Author Topic: Dell AT101 restoration — bamboo Alps SKCM Black  (Read 2048 times)

Offline norolim

Dell AT101 restoration — bamboo Alps SKCM Black
« on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 13:37:14 »
I'm about to clean a keyboard with black Alps, including the switches. I know the Deskthority wiki says bamboo Alps have no lubricant, but there some people claiming they might have been lubricated, too. So, what is the consensus? Lube or no lube?
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 October 2021, 07:10:59 by norolim »

Offline Karmel

Re: Bamboo Alps SKCM Black - lube or no lube
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 22:18:56 »
Even the pine version of SKCM black isn't lubed, only the really early switches are, and SKCM black is one of the youngest in the line.

Offline norolim

Re: Bamboo Alps SKCM Black - lube or no lube
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 07:07:45 »
Even the pine version of SKCM black isn't lubed, only the really early switches are, and SKCM black is one of the youngest in the line.

Thanks. I cleaned them without waiting for a reply. Three days later the job is done. Before I started the keyboard, a last generation black Dell AT101, had little drops of white paint all over it and the switches felt very scratchy. I painstakingly removed every paint drop and then cleaned every switch. Many tactile leaves had visible wear on them, so I wasn't expecting great results. I also did the paper mod, because some switches were clicking on the upstroke after reassembly. I used very thin Washi paper, cause I didn't want to change the tactile feel. It worked.

Now the switches feel much better. They are still a little rough, but although I never used a new bamboo SCKM black keyboard, I read and heard they are not supposed to be perfectly smooth. So I guess, the restoration worked, at least to some extend. Here is a picture:

Offline PixelPlays__

• God, this hobby is so expensive.
Re: Dell AT101 restoration — bamboo Alps SKCM Black
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 October 2021, 16:44:31 »
How is it feeling now? Black AT101s are beautiful boards!

Offline norolim

Re: Dell AT101 restoration — bamboo Alps SKCM Black
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 17:03:00 »
How is it feeling now? Black AT101s are beautiful boards!

As I said in the last post:

Now the switches feel much better. They are still a little rough, but although I never used a new bamboo SCKM black keyboard, I read and heard they are not supposed to be perfectly smooth. So I guess, the restoration worked, at least to some extend.

I ended up using the board for two weeks after that restoration work. The switches felt quite pleasant, even though they were not perfectly smooth. If someone used bamboo black Alps in good condition, I'd be interested to hear an opinion on how they should feel. Anyway, after those two weeks I started missing my main typing board, so I switched back.

Now, a few days ago I got a BTC 5139 with BTC dome with slider switches. It was a bit dusty, but had very little wear and I got it in the original box with a User's Manual leaflet. I gave it a bath and have been using it for a couple of days. I must say it feels great for a rubber dome: nicely tactile and snappy. And it looks almost brand new: