Author Topic: What is your attitude toward the holidays?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
What is your attitude toward the holidays?
« on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 19:34:43 »
Annoyance?  Indifference?  Unalloyed delight? 

(All of the above, perhaps?)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What is your attitude toward the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 19:46:31 »
All up in dat electronix sales.

No other hughmahnn emotions installed.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 20:01:12 »
Pretty numb to everything by now, I barely even notice it's there. There's no joy to found in the Holidays for me, nor is there worth in being a scrooge. Just let it pass over you, and continue that dreary endless march towards the eventual end.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 21:09:00 »

Pretty numb to everything by now

The older I get, the less I care about holidays and ceremonies. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my own holidays being somewhere enjoying myself, but rituals generally stink.

When the kids were little it was great to get excited with them about various events, but now that they are adults it is different for them, too, of course.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 21:37:02 »
For me, Christmas has always been mostly about the sensations and getting into the Christmas mood: the sights, sounds, smells and especially: tastes. As long as I get my traditional food, drink and snacks, and the sight and smell of a Christmas tree, I'm good.

We're only four people in my family: all grown-ups, and our tradition is limited to a dinner and dessert at Christmas Eve. We have practically abolished presents. I'm usually cooking half of the food, but I love cooking and trying new things. We've had a few food-traditions over the years that have come and gone.

Offline iri

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 09:49:44 »
Christmas is on the 7th of January you heretics!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 10:10:24 »
On Christmas day I will be helping my cousin install a new hot water cylinder in my house, I can't wait.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 10:42:35 »
On Christmas day I will be helping my cousin install a new hot water cylinder in my house, I can't wait.

Not, Tankless ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 17:05:28 »
what y'all up 2
Having got up at 7:30 I was finally free to do whatever I wanted at 20:30, after finding nothing of interest online I played a game badly and slipped into my standard nihilistic introspection.  Would go to bed and hope tomorrow's better but have to stay up to check the water heater works and that wont cut in for a couple more hours...

Back to looking at pointless stuff I don't even want to buy on ebay I guess, probably more interesting than tv.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 21:06:22 »
if the tonghao for hotpot is good life is good

The kids had fun cooking and making drinks.

Christmas films and foods don't interest and never have

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 14:38:50 »
I will say my attitude towards snow has certinally changed.
What once was a representation of newfound freedom on days where enslavement was on the agenda, has now become a bitter slushy drudge against the disruptive frozen milky menace. What once was a guaranteed day off has become just another struggle to inconvenience you from doing the activities you already don't want to do.

I hate rain, but man do I really hate the snow.

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 15:03:42 »
What once was a guaranteed day off
And I naively thought it was just the UK!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury