geekhack Community > Keyboards

Maybe Alps is going out

(1/14) > >>

xsphat:
It looks like CVT is out of stock on the Avant Prime. This could be a bad sign for lovers of the Alps switches like me.

https://www.cvtinc.com/order.htm

If Alps isn't making keyboard switches anymore, this is proof that there is a god and SHE hates me.

iMav:

--- Quote from: xsphat ---It looks like CVT is out of stock on the Avant Prime. This could be a bad sign for lovers of the Alps switches like me.
--- End quote ---

Haven't they been out for a while now?

mr_sf_applet:
It feels like they've been out of the Prime forever. It was out of stock when I ordered my Stellar early this year, and I'm not sure if it ever went back in stock since that time. The Stellar has usually been available, though. This is the first time I've seen them both out of stock.

Anyway, I called the number on that order page, and spoke with a friendly guy named Jim, I think. He said their best guess was that they were three weeks out from getting fresh batches of both the Prime and the Stellar. I asked if they would continue to use Alps switches, and he reassured me that they would stay with mechanical switches.

I realized later that his phrasing left them an out to change from Alps to another line of mechanical switches, but I didn't press him on it. I think he merely wanted to extol the virtues of mechanical switches over membranes. Besides, if the Avants stop shipping with Alps key switches, they'd be betraying their Northgate Omnikey legacy. And I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. At least I hope not.

I noted that the web site said that the Steller was "now shipping in black" and asked him when they had changed colors. He said this new upcoming batch would be the first black Stellars. A decision of their marketing people, he said. He asked how I felt about the change, and I said I acutually preferred the all black scheme. (I didn't mention that I appreciated black all the more after spending two days with the hideous two-tone silver and black of the SMK-85.)

xsphat:
Watch, they'll use the new quiet Cherry black switches.

I'm glad you called them and I am glad they seem to be getting more. No offense, but I really don't like the Steller. I couldn't justify paying another $50 for an extra row of function keys I don't use (Mac guy). I would buy the Prime though. What I am thinking about doing is buying one of those ugly two-tone 85s and I'll put my black case on the one with the better switches.

But then again, I am digging on the Model M right now, so who really knows what's going on in my head.

iMav:

--- Quote from: xsphat ---But then again, I am digging on the Model M right now, so who really knows what's going on in my head.
--- End quote ---

Model M's are very nice.  Although I've been enjoying re-acquainting myself with my HHKB Pro.  

I am also liking the Endurapro I picked up from Unicomp.  Gets me excited about the new Mighty Mouse they are supposed to be coming out with next year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version