geekhack Community > Off Topic

Unhacking the wallet

<< < (54/55) > >>

IronCheeks:

--- Quote from: bliss on Tue, 25 February 2020, 14:40:43 ---My policy: only go three-wide with group buys at any time - join not more than three concurrent GBs :D
EDIT: In this definition, a GB "ends" when the items have been delivered to my doorstep.

I think that is still very much but it introduces a ceiling. Exception to the rule is allowed if and only if my personal kryptonite occurs, i.e. reruns of GMK Skeletor or Nautilus (guess what - Nautilus 2 is currently in IC).

And I put every item I buy to use, no collecting. This should saturate the "need" to buy eventually.

--- End quote ---

That's a pretty decent outlook for me to consider, especially as a newcomer to this hobby. After going through few pages of the comments and discussion to the OP and a few others - I agree with a lot of what's being said. The introduction of a ceiling is something I wish I had when I was into sneaker-collecting and with fountain pens. I have set a limit on groupbuys I am part of, but still have spent quite a lot on artisans, despite even having my first custom keyboard in.

I think as mentioned before that it's the rabbit-hole of any hobby; once you get bit by the bug, you can's stop there. But that's why it's great to implement a budget and ample time to appreciate what you have now so that way the "need" of desire is satiated in a nice, fruitful way.

MaddSplatter49:
This was an insanely insightful introduction to this hobby. Here we are 5 years later, and it's still relevant.

Nonuke:
Well, I am starting on this world now. Kind of.
As the OP I started with a DAS Keyboard, later bought a second one. I kept one at home and another at work. I was really happy and had no idea of what  the mech keyboard scene was like.
A while ago, when the virus start hitting, I became aware of custom builds and 60% boards.
More than once I was about to buy stuff for assembling one myself, but refrain since I was having doubts if I could do it. I got some soldering cheap tools, just to understand a bit on how to use it, and to get some of the technique. I ended up buying a Drop Alt, and this is my daily driver since April 2020. I got some keycaps in Ali Express, still not with me due to a few logistic issues. And just today I purchased an used Infinity Ergodox, that should arrive in a few days.

I can feel the trend, the rabbit hole calling me. In December/January I will have at least 2 weeks off, and I want now to buy parts and build my own keyboard, from top to bottom. I still have many doubts on the parts to get, the switches to choose, if a 40%, 60% or Ergodox layout. I go to sleep asking myself if I should go full throttle on soldering or if I should get a hot swapable board. All of it without thinking for a moment how much it would cost. I am playing on the card “I deserve it”, and here is where it gets dangerous.

It is true that as adults we are the captains of our lives, and that our parent’s are not there to stop us to make questionable decisions. But if you are married or have kids, all can change. Today my main deterrent to giving up to the siren call  is the judgmental look of my wife, each time a new keyboard appears in the house. If boxes of parts start arriving at the front door, I bet I will have a hard time from her - on her view it is a bad choice of where to spend money. I am aware she will not be happy when the Ergodox arrives...

In a way I thank her. On the other hand, here I am, lurking in a forum on a Sunday morning reading about mech keyboards.

I hope it all ends well...

ideus:

--- Quote from: Nonuke on Sun, 29 November 2020, 01:30:50 ---Well, I am starting on this world now. Kind of.
As the OP I started with a DAS Keyboard, later bought a second one. I kept one at home and another at work. I was really happy and had no idea of what  the mech keyboard scene was like.
A while ago, when the virus start hitting, I became aware of custom builds and 60% boards.
More than once I was about to buy stuff for assembling one myself, but refrain since I was having doubts if I could do it. I got some soldering cheap tools, just to understand a bit on how to use it, and to get some of the technique. I ended up buying a Drop Alt, and this is my daily driver since April 2020. I got some keycaps in Ali Express, still not with me due to a few logistic issues. And just today I purchased an used Infinity Ergodox, that should arrive in a few days.

I can feel the trend, the rabbit hole calling me. In December/January I will have at least 2 weeks off, and I want now to buy parts and build my own keyboard, from top to bottom. I still have many doubts on the parts to get, the switches to choose, if a 40%, 60% or Ergodox layout. I go to sleep asking myself if I should go full throttle on soldering or if I should get a hot swapable board. All of it without thinking for a moment how much it would cost. I am playing on the card “I deserve it”, and here is where it gets dangerous.

It is true that as adults we are the captains of our lives, and that our parent’s are not there to stop us to make questionable decisions. But if you are married or have kids, all can change. Today my main deterrent to giving up to the siren call  is the judgmental look of my wife, each time a new keyboard appears in the house. If boxes of parts start arriving at the front door, I bet I will have a hard time from her - on her view it is a bad choice of where to spend money. I am aware she will not be happy when the Ergodox arrives...

In a way I thank her. On the other hand, here I am, lurking in a forum on a Sunday morning reading about mech keyboards.

I hope it all ends well...

--- End quote ---

The key-part of last phrase is: "ends".

SmoothFaces:
so true. nice read

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version