Author Topic: My new old SMK-88 Keyboard  (Read 6151 times)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
My new old SMK-88 Keyboard
« on: Thu, 20 September 2007, 14:43:35 »
Typing on it now.  It's not the pile o' crap I was typing on but it's not nirvana either.  here is the unit, and the "old style" keyboard layout (which I like a lot):

All of my images are on my pics website.

Here are the black (you notice i didn't say 'blue"?) keyswitches:

The sticker underneath should look incredibly familiar and one reason I am very surprised at the black switches:

I've emailed Ergonomics Made Easy to see if they might rma this one for one with blue switches if they have one.  We'll see what happens.

Meantime, the plan is to keep this keyboard and replace it with a Tactile Pro 2 when they are avaialble.  

More on the SMK-88 soon.  I am a little ticked off...I could have had black switches in this keyboard much cheaper!  Checking fentek-ind.com now.

If I am stuck with this keyboard, it will be a nice addition on a yet-to-be-purchased Mac next year.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 September 2007, 18:11:57 »
How much did you pay? Karl @ DSI quoted me 34.95 for an old-style with black switches (+ shipping of course).

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 September 2007, 18:21:05 »
Even though the Tactile Pro is aimed at the keyboard connoisseur, I feel that yesterday's styling (as of 1 month ago) may cost them customers. I guess when you are developing Apple accessories, it's hard to predict where Apple will go.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 September 2007, 18:37:10 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
How much did you pay? Karl @ DSI quoted me 34.95 for an old-style with black switches (+ shipping of course).

I ordered one as well, with black switches, for $34.99 + shipping. I would like the blue switches more, but I need a quieter keyboard for work.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2007, 20:39:55 »

$89 plus shipping.  nice.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2007, 20:42:57 »
Even though the Tactile Pro is aimed at the keyboard connoisseur, I feel that yesterday's styling (as of 1 month ago) may cost them customers. I guess when you are developing Apple accessories, it's hard to predict where Apple will go.

I liked everything about my Apple Wireless keyboard except the way too fluff filled membrane "keyswitches".    This has the same layout (so far as I can tell) and gives me a USB port at my keyboard (which my 9 year old Shuffle owner just loves!), and the tactile feel I really want.  

We'll see, my attitude is evolving and I may not want that footprint by the time they are available.  But....maybe I'd still go that way for the blue switches.
Andrew

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 September 2007, 11:55:46 »
How loud are the switches?

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 September 2007, 15:49:24 »
I would say...not a lot, but noticeably louder than the black switches in the Cherry 4100s.  more play in the keys and a longer keystroke probably account for all of the difference.
Andrew