Author Topic: Is this the perfect budget Chery MX blue keyboard? Adesso Mkb-125B review.  (Read 7804 times)

Offline shut up

This is my Adesso Mkb-125B compact keyboard. A budget mechanical keyboard that's great for typists.

Build quality- 6/10
"For $70 you can't be picky." Wrong. Be picky, but don't expect a Model M. The build quality of this keyboard is slightly below average. Both of the feet stands were very loosely placed and were not even, causing the keyboard to rock side to side. I had to put a furniture slider pad underneath one to keep that under control. The keys are made of a fairly smooth plastic, but the letters are already starting to wear out after a year of only occasional use, which was disappointing. It does seem fairly durable and the plastics all feel solid and sturdy.

Comfort- 6/10
The comfort of this keyboard is questionable, Both of the feet positions are either too low or too high and the spacebar seems to be angled away from you. The keys also seem to be sloped inwards towards the middle of the keyboard also, which is interesting. For extended typing, it's not extremely comfortable but is very easy to type without looking because of the angle/slope of the keys.

Layout- 7/10
Some of the main complaints about this keyboard include the size of the backspace key and the location of the spacebar. I personally found none of these to be a problem, and easily adjusted to the layout. The backspace key is the same size as the rest of the keys, but seems to do the job pretty trouble free for a compact keyboard.

Typing experience- 7/10
This keyboard is equipped with real Cherry MX Blue switches and features a metal place underneath the keys, making it a very easy to type on keyboard, with no gimmicky gaming features. It's great for  typists in particular because it isn't aimed particularly at a specific group. The keyboard is also compatible with Mac computers, although num and scroll lock don't work. It's also very loud though, even for a blue switch keyboard.

Value- 10/10
While it may not be a gaming keyboard and it may not be the most comfortable thing out there to type on, it's a great deal at $70 considering what you are getting and what you could be getting in the same price range. Watch out for discounts, and it's available online at Newegg and Amazon. It's also available at most Microcenter stores.

Compatibility- 10/10
As I've mentioned before, it works with Mac systems well, and mine shipped with a USB/Ps2 adapter.

The Verdict- 46/60. A good product, but with room to improve.
Do I recommend it? Yes, and no. It all depends on the user and how much it's going to be used.

Bonus category- Size. (Not included in final score)
It's about two and 3/4ths generic pens long.

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 November 2014, 16:50:24 by shut up »
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Is this the perfect budget Chery MX blue keyboard? Adesso Mkb-125B review.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:03:39 »
Good review.

It's interesting to see a value keyboard reviewed, especially one that doesn't get much light here.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline shut up

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:47:50 »
Thanks  :thumb:
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 15:53:56 »
The layout is a bit of a turnoff. For that price point I'd rather pick up Monoprice's offering of a Cherry MX Blue switch keyboard.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 16:04:22 »
The layout is a bit of a turnoff. For that price point I'd rather pick up Monoprice's offering of a Cherry MX Blue switch keyboard.

This takes up less sideways desk space, which is a big plus for me.

I might pick one of these up, actually. I love odd boards like this.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline shut up

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 16:45:32 »
Got any questions about it?  ;D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 18:10:17 »
Got any questions about it?  ;D

Dimensions?

Also, if you try and twist it, does it creak?

Offline shut up

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 18:26:21 »
15 and 3/4th length
6 and 3/4th top to bottom

As far as creaking goes, There is a small creak from the bottom left, but nothing seems to move/flex from the naked eye.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 18:27:43 »
15 and 3/4th length
6 and 3/4th top to bottom

As far as creaking goes, There is a small creak from the bottom left, but nothing seems to move/flex from the naked eye.

Good things.

I'll order one if I don't win any CCs.

Offline Johan

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 18:48:34 »
Layout looks really good exept for the function row.
Uh, stuff.

Offline shut up

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 08:25:10 »
Layout looks really good exept for the function row.

To be honest, the function key layout is super easy to get used to. I didn't expect it, but it felt natural after several hours of typing.  It's a pretty great little keyboard.

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 08:30:53 »
6Kro?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

Offline dante

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 14:58:42 »
It's iOne, isn't it? What stabs are there? That could give a hint. What does soldering look like? Also, weren't the old infamous iOne keyboards (like pre-2013 Razer BlackWidow or XArmor something) known for being only 2KRO?

I guess I'd hate the Esc position. I already hate F keys being that far on Cherry G80-18xx/11xxx.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 16:54:38 »
Appreciate the review, thanks.

Offline shut up

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 17:37:30 »
Sure  :thumb: Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:32:16 »
Thanks, I always wondered about this keyboard.  I would never buy, but I wondered about it's quality.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing