Author Topic: 9 Models M for $10 but they're wicked gross.  (Read 32700 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: 9 Models M for $10 but they're wicked gross.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 08:43:16 »
Um, that's a starting point for bids, not a fixed price. And shipping is $60? No thanks.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:45:54 »
Um, that's a starting point for bids, not a fixed price. And shipping is $60? No thanks.

Yeah but this thing's going for under $20. Mark my words.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 18:18:37 »
The colorbalance and quality of the photos scares me more. Only 2 Ms are shown complete and one M incomplete. The Apple is a dome. Assuming half of them are blasted and the survivors are still really nasty I might try my luck and finally try me an M.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 14:48:21 »

I would not be surprised, but that's a lot of buckling spring cap sets, and it isn't tough to pop them all off, dunk them in the sink with some soapy water, and come back later to lightly clean/rinse. It is probably worth that just for random spare parts/cases to paint/mod.

The colorbalance and quality of the photos scares me more. Only 2 Ms are shown complete and one M incomplete. The Apple is a dome. Assuming half of them are blasted and the survivors are still really nasty I might try my luck and finally try me an M.

You post crazy weird old boards on here all of the time, but you don't have a Model M?  :eek:

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 22:12:27 »
I don't really have an excuse. I put it off and prices have risen enough that it's a bit of a hard sell.

Even Wyse boards are so pricy now I can really only afford the ones Wyse OEMed for other companies (and lack the 'Wyse vints' premium). I really hope the vintage blacks meme dies a bit... people have even started tearing down Cherry Amiga boards and G80-1000s with Yugoslavian doubleshots for them.

My Yamaha QX3 (and QX1) arrived so I just need some lube and a ultrasonic cleaner before I can write my Hirose Cherry tell all titled "they're ok, but just lube some everglides lmao".

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:25:00 »
I don't really have an excuse. I put it off and prices have risen enough that it's a bit of a hard sell.

Even Wyse boards are so pricy now I can really only afford the ones Wyse OEMed for other companies (and lack the 'Wyse vints' premium). I really hope the vintage blacks meme dies a bit... people have even started tearing down Cherry Amiga boards and G80-1000s with Yugoslavian doubleshots for them.

My Yamaha QX3 (and QX1) arrived so I just need some lube and a ultrasonic cleaner before I can write my Hirose Cherry tell all titled "they're ok, but just lube some everglides lmao".

I agree. I still have yet to feel a "vintage" black that I could tell was "vintage" if you were to blindfold me.

Model Ms are still cheap if you shop around. I have seen those early Metal badge XT Ms for about $50 in surprisingly good shape before. I haven't been perusing Ebay for vintage boards lately, but I'll keep a look out the next time I do if you like.

That Hirose review ought to offend some people. lol. I have no opinion, and don't care to form one without feeling them. I say the more dissenting voices in the face of conventions that become all but fact by their gravity alone, the better.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 18:32:47 »
Well I've made my bid, wish me luck.

I'm always surprised people divide MX Blacks into only 3 categories when it's clear that Cherry retools for reliability not perfect smoothness (so every couple years the switches made decline in 'feel' before they clean up the mods again).

Pretty sure the same thing happened to Gateron Inks, the later batches where made on tooling that had worn out more so the quality has declined (that or it's all a meme like those recolored Gateron switches that are suddenly much better than the normal colored switches from the same molds).

Guess I'll stunt on the world and pick up some Alpacas to swap into the QX3 (and trim the cross mounts to fit the original keycaps). No reason why I can't 'harvest' some meme switches and replace them with a cheaper meme.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 18:53:21 »
I put in a weak bid myself, "just because" but this went higher than I expected.

You never know, out of 9 boards you should be able to build at least 3-4, maybe more, and that brings the price down to something quite reasonable.

Also, those Apple Design keyboards are crap, but the early ones with detachable cables often have Alps-compatible caps.

Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 19:32:45 »
Wow, That escalated quickly:
247449-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

I wonder if they noticed the outragous shipping...
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 20:40:53 »
$17 per board with shipping is still entirely reasonable, although it would have been nice to see a shot with the face of all of them.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 19:40:52 »
I feel like the seller dropped the ball. Better photos and a bit of cleaning (and selling them in bundles of 2 or 3) would have made the seller twice the money, but not everyone has the time.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 20:09:40 »
Jesus Christ some maniac spent a lot of money for about 4 boards worth of parts.

Offline tailtail

• happy wheels
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 05:46:05 »

No but this thing's going for under $30. Mark my words.
Play for free happy wheels

Offline rubewrenn269

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 05:47:03 »
I wanted to post a brief comment to be able to say thanks to you for some of the amazing tips and hints you are giving here.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 06:12:39 »
I wanted to post a brief comment to be able to say thanks to you for some of the amazing tips and hints you are giving here.

No thank you bot, thank you for your random comments. Also I just want the CPC to know that I support their introduction and ultimate take over of Australia. I will stand with you through this, I do not know a Tp4tissue, never heard of him.