Author Topic: [GB] GMK Modern Dolch Light  (Read 133191 times)

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
Re: [GB] GMK Modern Dolch Light
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 10:29:12 »
Sounds like you got your information from GMK Rainy Day post, but haven't read through whole thread :) They don't use spectrometer. It is up to the designer/vendor to match the colors. That is why people get multiple samples, trying to find one that is matching closest to their desired color.

You're totally right -- I stand corrected. In that case, pitchforks and torches! \s

Lol. I was in the GB as well. While I like how the set looks in real life, it is definitely different than the renders. So, I think it would be nice to get some more info on what happened. Otherwise it is just designers/vendors making a mistake, and just going on to the next sale, since there are enough buyers anyways. (Extreme example of this was GMK PnC Light, so maybe we will get GMK Modern Dolch Light Light  :p )

Offline kidpid

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 14:40:24 »
Lol. I was in the GB as well. While I like how the set looks in real life, it is definitely different than the renders. So, I think it would be nice to get some more info on what happened. Otherwise it is just designers/vendors making a mistake, and just going on to the next sale, since there are enough buyers anyways. (Extreme example of this was GMK PnC Light, so maybe we will get GMK Modern Dolch Light Light  :p )

When you look at the swatches from this picture on the first page:

Then compare these colors to the final product, and the renders. It becomes clear that the renders were not an accurate representation of the color swatches used for color matching. To me, the final product looks pretty much an exact match to those swatches, which are noticeably darker/more saturated than the renders. It's too bad that the swatches were not shown in the IC phase to avoid something like this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2021, 14:42:01 by kidpid »

Offline pool

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:29:54 »
Finally got the time to inspect my set... and all I can say is I am incredibly disappointed.

The gray is 2-3x darker than the renders/marketingmaterial imply. The mod/esc key are about 50% more saturated.

The set looks nothing like the colors on the box art which is more of an accurate representation of what I (and many others) expected.

https://imgur.com/a/N5bLNZ0

No way you can look at even the gray and say that looks anything like these: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0054/0878/4458/products/01_Standard_700x.png?v=1630693867

Super super disappointing.

I was under the impression that Omnitype is one of the best in the game in terms of color matching since you guys take it very very seriously by using scientific instruments. But something either went wrong with your color matching process, or these were the right colors all along and something went wrong with your renders and marketing material..
Can we as customers get an answer to what happened here?
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:36:40 by pool »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 17:57:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

I was considering getting one of the extras, but after seeing this I'm seriously thinking twice.

Could you take pictures under natural light (unless that was already)?
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 19:43:54 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #204 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 19:35:02 »
Finally got the time to inspect my set... and all I can say is I am incredibly disappointed.

The gray is 2-3x darker than the renders/marketingmaterial imply. The mod/esc key are about 50% more saturated.

The set looks nothing like the colors on the box art which is more of an accurate representation of what I (and many others) expected.

No way you can look at even the gray and say that looks anything like these: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0054/0878/4458/products/01_Standard_700x.png?v=1630693867

I was under the impression that Omnitype is one of the best in the game in terms of color matching since you guys take it very very seriously by using scientific instruments. But something either went wrong with your color matching process, or these were the right colors all along and something went wrong with your renders and marketing material..

Studio lighting vs Florescent lighting

Offline pool

[GB] GMK Modern Dolch Light
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 20:20:58 »
Show Image

Show Image

I was considering getting one of the extras, but after seeing this I'm seriously thinking twice.

My apartment during the day is about 5300 Kelvin color temperature give or take, but it was a bit of a cloudier day so it might even be higher Kelvin that day. About as normal of a color it can get in most people's apartments.

I can take some pictures later with my studio lighting setup that can go between 3000-6000 Kelvin. But I know it still won't match what the renders suggest which is much much more desaturated.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 20:30:44 by pool »

Offline pool

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 20:29:34 »

Studio lighting vs Florescent lighting

EDIT:

Here you go, since you mention studio lighting (3300K) vs florescent lighting (~5000K), I gave you the whole spectrum that my kelvin-adjustable studio lights has (3300K to 5600K).

Camera + lens: Sony A7III + 35 mm 1.4

Photos shot at fixed color temperature on my camera at 5500K to aim to be as neutral as possible. Shot at f5.6. All photos are raw unedited straight from camera (converted to JPEG).

I even threw in a GMK sample color ring and a RAL R7 color swatch that's used for GMK for color matching. Lights in my room all turned off + blinds all shut so there's as little outside light as possible to affect internal room color temperature.

For this experiment, I incremented from 3300K up at 500K increments up until the limit of 5600K.

To test my hypothesis of Omnitype's renders using an overly large flood light that desaturated all the colors, I brought my light as close as I could to the keycap set, and it does look closer to their renders.

Omnitype's renders

I think the pictures speak for themselves.

tl;dr I think the renders are inaccurately lighted leading to blow out of saturation leading to a much more desaturated render when compared to the real colors.

What

The color temperature of my room and light source doesn't affect color saturation so much that the colors become 50% more saturated and the grays 2-3x darker

The only way my picture could look like Omni's renders are if I have a very very large neutral light at around 5500 that blows all the colors and saturation out. My room has a similar color temp but not light intensity, but the results won't be that dramatic of a change.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2021, 03:13:27 by pool »

Offline pool

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 21:40:11 »
Show Image

Show Image

Pictures added in above comment.

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 22:09:14 »
Doing god's work my man

Offline pool

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 22:11:55 »
Doing god's work my man

I'm not trying to cause drama or start ****. If Omnitype did indeed make a mistake with their renders, they can just admit it and promise to do better for next time. If they messed up in color matching, same thing, just admit it and do better next time. I wouldn't even be mad.

Ignoring us and hoping we'll forget about it is pretty rude.

And paying >$150 for a TKL base kit (no numpad!) and defending a (genuine) mistake is also pretty silly.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2021, 03:13:58 by pool »

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 22:23:13 »
I'm not mad or anything, but I didnt like the set lol. Will have to sell it. I'd say the worst thing is the light alphas make it look washed out.

This is my goto pic: DCS Sleeper on top, GMK modol on bottom.

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 23:27:24 »
Doing god's work my man

I'm not trying to cause drama or start ****. If Omnitype did indeed make a mistake with their renders, they can just admit it and promise to do better for next time. If they messed up in color matching, same thing, just admit it and do better next time. I wouldn't even be mad.

And paying >$150 for a TKL base kit (no numpad!) and some rando is defending a (genuine) mistake is also pretty silly.
C

Calm down. I offered a possible explanation that did not exceed more than a single sentence. Good on you for running the tests, but you need to relax. And hate it break it to ya, but nothing is properly lit in your photos.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 23:46:39 by Dinerenblanc »

Offline pool

[GB] GMK Modern Dolch Light
« Reply #212 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 00:28:57 »
Doing god's work my man

And paying >$150 for a TKL base kit (no numpad!) and some rando is defending a (genuine) mistake is also pretty silly.
C

Calm down. I offered a possible explanation that did not exceed more than a single sentence. Good on you for running the tests, but you need to relax. And hate it break it to ya, but nothing is properly lit in your photos.

I spent less than 10 minutes on this. If you want me to "light it correctly", say less. But the results will still be the same.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2021, 00:31:37 by pool »

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 02:25:11 »
Sounds like you were more worried about validating your own theory instead of producing a valid test. I get that you're mad, but do some growing up and maybe not antagonize anyone who doesn't immediately agree with your sentiment.

Offline pool

« Reply #214 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 02:27:15 »
Sounds like you were more worried about validating your own theory instead of producing a valid test. I get that you're mad, but do some growing up and maybe not antagonize anyone who doesn't immediately agree with your sentiment.

I re-took my photos. Feel free to move your goal post some more!
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2021, 02:30:38 by pool »

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #215 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 02:39:43 »

I re-took my photos. Feel free to move your goal post some more!

My dude, proper lighting doesn't mean simply shooting at a photo at 5600K. Lol You do a lazy lest, you're gonna get lazy results. But keep on with this crusade of yours and keep getting angrier. And might I suggest spending less time building keyboards and more time building your social skills.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2021, 02:42:41 by Dinerenblanc »

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 08:19:23 »
With your new pictures, I find them really close to the renders. lol

Offline rondg

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 22:14:46 »
Am I the only one who is seeing the crooked keycaps? 7, 8, U, I, ; and '

Offline shansoft

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 00:32:14 »

For some reason, my D and F is really close to each other... Same as most of the photo people posted.

First time I saw this was with GMK hennessey where U, I is close to each other and some other keys.
I have not yet seen this in my other sets before.

Offline rondg

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 03:14:44 »

For some reason, my D and F is really close to each other... Same as most of the photo people posted.

First time I saw this was with GMK hennessey where U, I is close to each other and some other keys.

Yeah I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.
Is this within the acceptable quality expectations?

Offline shansoft

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 04:50:16 »

Yeah I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.
Is this within the acceptable quality expectations?

Based on overwhelming complain to Drops for GMK Hennessey, they deem it as acceptable problem.

GMK quality been dropping from warp space bar to uneven stem these days... It's quite disappointing....

Offline Nebulant

• Nebulous Consulting
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 15:34:54 »
I am only here to comment on some things I am seeing wrong with methodology and nothing to do with the keycaps.

Color temperature equivalents is not light source equivalents, especially in regards to spectral power distribution. Comparing an LED source to a tungsten source to a fluorescent source all at the same average color temperature can make things all look very different. While those images do show a range of color temperatures, they are so poorly exposed that any meaningful conclusions would be quite hard to come by when the data itself is flawed. The second set of images do more closely match the render, and can support the theory that the lighting conditions used in the render could have been too bright.

I think people need to keep in mind that renders are always a visualization of how a set can look under various conditions, and are never really absolutely indicative of the final product.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 06:47:29 »
My base kit came with a horrendously warped 7U spacebar, making the set impossible to use on the keyboard I bought to pair it with (Mr.Suit).
What can I do? hot water and hairdryer didn't help.
Thanks for your input

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 16:36:18 »
Anyone got an obscure kit?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline diorite

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 15 March 2023, 19:22:30 »
Any plans for an R2?