Author Topic: Matt3o MT3 Hi-Profile caps vs SA  (Read 12793 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Matt3o MT3 Hi-Profile caps vs SA
« on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 07:30:13 »
This is new Massdrop coming up today with new Matt3o MT3 Hi-Profile caps.

How those caps compare to SA profile?
Is it exactly same or are there many differences?

I love the smoothness of SA and these MT3 sound like they are a bit different, not matt finish, but not smooth as SA either.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline schoolbus

Re: Matt3o MT3 Hi-Profile caps vs SA
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 08:18:07 »
They're the ABS "clones" or equivalent of the dev/tty color scheme that ran twice before this.

They're similar to SA but a bit more curved and the actual keys themselves hug your fingers much more than SA. I personally think they're superior.

The PBT version had a very textured almost gritty feel which was quite pleasant to me but some didn't like it.

Matt3o says they will be slightly textured, but regardless over time they will inevitably become more smooth due to it being ABS.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 08:23:52 »
That is a brand new run of MT3 in double shot ABS. The original /dev/tty was dyesub PBT. So I don't think anyone but Matt3o can comment on the new texture yet.

/dev/tty had the expected finely textured PBT finish on top, and very smooth sides. Reminiscent of classic IBM key caps.

As for the profile, both the row angles and the dishing are more aggressive than SA. I actually haven't ever used SA key caps, though I did order PulSe round 3.

I can say that MT3 felt very strange to me at first, having used cylindrical keyboards all my life. But since I've been using MT3 at work for months now, I've really grown to enjoy it. When I go back to cylindrical keyboards it feels disappointing to my fingers. I also love that although the angles are aggressive, it included a flat bottom row, which I use and feels perfect.

Now, all that said, I'm not going to be ordering the latest iteration of MT3. But it has nothing to do with the profile, and everything to do with it being ABS and what I consider to be a pretty boring colorway.

Matt3o has teased the ability to do all-over dyesub keycaps, so I'm going to save my money for a future run of MT3 in PBT with a fun colorway.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 11:38:16 »
The PBT mt3 with flat bottom row are great. Better than SA ergonomically IMO.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 16:56:56 »
So have seen people putting SA caps on the Kinesis Advantage with a little modding but I am wondering how these would compare? Does anyone have any experience with either?
Kinesis Advantage | Ergodox EZ Browns | RK RC930 | DS 3 Blues

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 15:54:04 »
As mentioned earlier, the only existing MT3 caps are PBT, so only Matt3o can comment on the upcoming ABS set.

As for the profile, they are different from SA. The dishing is MUCH deeper. At first, it actually felt weird, but it's growing on me. They are a bit shorter than SA as well, which I like.

Of course being both ABS and doubleshot will probably give this upcoming set a different feel.

I like MT3 and SA, but I think SP's SA is a little too slippery smooth. I actually prefer Maxkey for texture.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 21:23:06 »
The PBT mt3 with flat bottom row are great. Better than SA ergonomically IMO.

Seconded.
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 18:59:06 »
Thanks guys. I joined the drop, so will see them soon, in few weeks:)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 14:36:32 »
Well, I finally got them. Unfortunately, these are not for me:(
Cannot type on these keep hitting igh edges. I think you need to be perfect typist to use these.

Offline Marutks

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 14:49:00 »
I love MT3 profile keycaps!  Unfortunately they didn't offer flat bottom row in the last (abs) group buy.

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 17:06:32 »
So I'm selling my MT3 sets: alpha and CMY, if anyone wants them.