Author Topic: Problems with Tennis/Mouse elbow  (Read 6651 times)

Offline wiredPANDA

Problems with Tennis/Mouse elbow
« on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 14:17:40 »
Anyone else have any issues with tennis/mouse elbow?   Been suffering with it for years and never really found a good stretch/exercise/ergo layout to help with the pain.  Usually, I just work through it and after a few days/weeks it dies down or I get used to the feeling.  I know the obvious answer of don't work on a computer as long during the day, but considering my work - that isn't a possibility.

I've recently switched from a full-sized board to a TKL, which seems to be helping a little; considering I don't have to reach as far for the mouse.  Just curious to see who else in the community shares this issue.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline codersean

• http://sean-long.com
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 14:55:35 »
I have been suffering with mouse elbow for a few years now. I switch back and forth between using a mouse, trackball or trackpad and that seems to help a little.

I'm also trying to use more and more keyboard shortcuts to eliminate the mouse reach, in the process of switching to Vim as my main text editor to reduce hand movement even more.

My main keyboard is a Unicomp Customizer so I really have to reach for the pointing device. I have a Filco Majestouch-2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns being delivered today, hoping it helps the elbow.
Work Rig-> Filco MJ2 TKL Cherry MX Browns

Offline jblack801

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 15:08:28 »
I think I've managed to avoid it. I do much prefer the comfort of having a tkl board with a trackball though. I can adjust the position of the peripherals based on my sitting position.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 21:37:22 »
Quote from: codersean;554890
I have been suffering with mouse elbow for a few years now. I switch back and forth between using a mouse, trackball or trackpad and that seems to help a little.

I'm also trying to use more and more keyboard shortcuts to eliminate the mouse reach, in the process of switching to Vim as my main text editor to reduce hand movement even more.

My main keyboard is a Unicomp Customizer so I really have to reach for the pointing device. I have a Filco Majestouch-2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns being delivered today, hoping it helps the elbow.

Keyboard shortcuts. This.  It's fun when people watch you do everything from the keyboard, while avoiding the mouse like it's the plague.

I'm enjoying my TKL with browns at work - having the mouse closer to the keyboard seems to be helping some.  And I haven't used a trackball in years, but after joining this site, I'm getting tempted.

Quote from: jblack801;554899
I think I've managed to avoid it. I do much prefer the comfort of having a tkl board with a trackball though. I can adjust the position of the peripherals based on my sitting position.

Seems the trackball with the TKL is a popular choice.  May need to start researching good trackballs to give one a chance.  They have to be more responsive than the ones I remember from like 10 years back.

Offline codersean

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 02:01:05 »
Quote from: wiredPANDA;555126

Seems the trackball with the TKL is a popular choice.  May need to start researching good trackballs to give one a chance.  They have to be more responsive than the ones I remember from like 10 years back.

The trackball I use is the Kensington Expert Mouse Optical USB Trackball, it is a tank and have been using it for years.

The trackpad I use is the Apple Magic Trackpad, a very nice trackpad just wish it was USB so I could use with my KVM.

BTW typing this on my new Filco TKL and loving it so far.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 22:33:10 »
I actually like the Apple trackpads, but wish they were USB, as well, so I didn't have to mess around with a Bluetooth dongle on my desktop.  Think I may give that Kensington a try.  Seems like a solid unit to test the waters.

Offline codersean

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:17:07 »
Update
I have been using my Filco TKL all week and the reduced reach for the mouse seems to really help my elbow pain.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:28:10 »
Awesome news.  The TKL has worked out great for me, as well, from a reach perspective.

Been talking to a few other members of the community, and I think that I'm going to get a Kinesis Freestyle.  The control from a split keyboard may be what truly sets my mouse elbow to rest.

Offline codersean

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:38:47 »
A keyboard that caught my eye awhile back was the Truly Ergonomic, I have no clue if it's any good. Seems like it's always on backorder.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 15:01:17 »
[video=youtube;-hlWgH3_0NU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hlWgH3_0NU[/video]

Try this one, I found it very effective. Also I recommend to use the mouse with your left hand, especially with a full-sized board.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline codersean

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 15:20:22 »
RiGS

Thanks for that video, will definitely have to try that out.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 15:58:38 »
You are welcome, good luck with your healing.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 16:25:36 »
Few new stretches are never a bad thing to have in the arsenal.

And I never could get used the mouse with the left hand.  Tried multiple times, just felt like I lost too much mobility/finesse.  I'm finding the switch to a TKL board simulates this, though, with having the mouse literally right on the side of the board.

Offline JoeC

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 03:33:42 »
Quote from: RiGS;561783
[video=youtube;-hlWgH3_0NU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hlWgH3_0NU[/video]

Try this one, I found it very effective. Also I recommend to use the mouse with your left hand, especially with a full-sized board.

It hurt me to do this, but it makes a lot of sense.  No pain, no gain, as the saying goes.  I will practice daily.
Lurk Moar!!!!!