Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 217620 times)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
The Bike Thread!
« on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:03:03 »
Hey everyone,

We recently had a small discussion about bikes in a different thread, and I was suprised by all of the people that like to bike, so I thought I would make a thread to discuss all things bike related!

Please keep it clean and fairly on-topic.  :cool:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:05:27 »
I will start us off!

Here is my primary bike, a Trek Remedy 9 27.5:

I also own a Trek 1.2 that I use for general getting around/commuting to work/occasional road ride.. The perks of working at a bike shop..  :p

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:10:44 »
Nice !

I am big on cycling as well. During this time a year, I do about 200 km a week on my roadbike (typically 4 x 50 km).

I was also recently introduced to MTB and going over trails and such. I have not had a lot of experience with that yet, but it has been pretty cool so far. Been to 2 different countries to do some tracks but I pretty much suck at it (it has pretty much nothing to do with the roadbike in terms of technique, though the leg strength does help).

I own 4 different bikes.
-One winter/city roadbike that is a Trek (Tiagra groupset, aluminium frame). I use this for all kinds of things.
-One training roadbike that is a Koga miyata (Ultegra groupset, carbon frame). This one I only use for fast rides (I never leave it anywhere. This thing is my baby).
-One old school Koga Miyata roabike (steel) from 1986. The cool thing is that it has all the original parts (except for those that wear and have to be replaced), and there is barely a scratch on the original paint. It is a cool bright blue that really stands out (looks like it could have been painted yesterday).
-One crummy crap bike that I leave in front of bars and at the train station overnight. This is the "I wont care if it gets stolen" bike. (though it is my second-most used one  :()

I am planning on buying a MTB as well. I have been renting them and that gets pretty expensive fast. The sooner I buy one for myself the better.

But that is not all. Of course there are different wheels, different kinds of equipment you can buy and so on. As a money sink I find cycling far worse than keyboards. "How far down does the rabbit hole go?" is a question that you start asking yourself there as well. It happens around that time when you are about to order two carbon waterbottles for $50 each...
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:15:41 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:14:16 »
Nice !

I am big on cycling as well. During this time a year, I do about 200 km a week on my roadbike (typically 4 x 50 km).

I was also recently introduced to MTB and going over trails and such. I have not had a lot of experience with that yet, but it has been pretty cool so far. Been to 2 different countries to do some tracks but I pretty much suck at it (it has pretty much nothing to do with the roadbike in terms of technique, though the leg strength does help).

I own 4 different bikes.
-One winter/city roadbike that is a Trek (Tiagra groupset, aluminium frame). I use this for all kinds of things.
-One training roadbike that is a Koga miyata (Ultegra groupset, carbon frams). This one I only use for fast rides (I never leave it anywhere).
-One old school Koga Miyata roabike (steel) from 1986. The cool thing is that it has all the original parts (except for those that wear and have to be replaced), and there is barely a scratch on the original paint. It is a cool bright blue that really stands out (looks like it could have been painted yesterday).
-One crummy crap bike that I leave in front of bars and at the train station overnight. This is the "I wont care if it gets stolen" bike. (though it is my second-most used one  :()

Nice! That is a good amount of Kms! I do about 100 a week just riding to work and back, and usually 2 mtb rides per week as well.

I know where you come from, getting into mountain biking can be tough, and expensive!  :p

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:23:35 »
It is expensive, and we have a severe lack of hills. I am lucky that there is a mountainbike trail pretty close to my house. Most of it is black diamond difficulty, but it is still pretty boring (not a very large area).

I do not do 200 km a week all thoughout the year. Though I do keep cycling when a lot of people consider the "season" to be over. There are 3 things that will keep me inside: Rain, ice, and extreme wind. The last two rarely happen. But during some seasons, rain is a real pain in the ass over here.  Sometimes you have to literally go looking for those 2-3 hours when there is no rain to get a ride in.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:25:48 »
It is expensive, and we have a severe lack of hills. I am lucky that there is a mountainbike trail pretty close to my house. Most of it is black diamond difficulty, but it is still pretty boring (not a very large area).

I do not do 200 km a week all thoughout the year. Though I do keep cycling when a lot of people consider the "season" to be over. There are 3 things that will keep me inside: Rain, ice, and extreme wind. The last two rarely happen. But during some seasons, rain is a real pain in the ass over here.  Sometimes you have to literally go looking for those 2-3 hours when there is no rain to get a ride in.

I am lucky in that regards.. I live in Vancouver, home to the best mountain biking in the world! Or some of it at least..

Yeah unfortunately for 2 thirds of the year I am stuck in Uni where I don't get to ride as much, and here you have to just ride in the rain or you will never get out!  :(

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:26:49 »
oh man now I have to take pictures of mine.

I have a road bike that I've built up out of parts. The frame is a Fuji Team Pro. Unlike most people, I oped for bar-end shifters.

My MTN bike started off life as an 4500, but the frame was replaced with an 8900 frame. I've been replacing things on it, so only the handlebar, shifter and wheelset is original. Sadly, I need to add a spacer to the bottom bracket (or swap my e type derailler back in) and set-up the front shifter again 'cause it's all indexed wrong. Needs a little work for sure.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:32:03 »
oh man now I have to take pictures of mine.

I have a road bike that I've built up out of parts. The frame is a Fuji Team Pro. Unlike most people, I oped for bar-end shifters.

My MTN bike started off life as an 4500, but the frame was replaced with an 8900 frame. I've been replacing things on it, so only the handlebar, shifter and wheelset is original. Sadly, I need to add a spacer to the bottom bracket (or swap my e type derailler back in) and set-up the front shifter again 'cause it's all indexed wrong. Needs a little work for sure.

Nice! Bar-end shifters are unique. I had the privilege of riding a Trek 520, the steel touring bike with bar-end shifters, and I quite liked it. Not as practical for in-city rides in my opinion, but when I got it out into the open they were very nice!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:36:20 »
They also don't break, are easy to set up and adjust, and you can get dura-ace for under $30 pretty easily. Brifters are like $200 :o

I've never had any issue with them, I commuted ~2500 miles/year for a few years and now I do longer rides.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:50:12 »
They also don't break, are easy to set up and adjust, and you can get dura-ace for under $30 pretty easily. Brifters are like $200 :o

I've never had any issue with them, I commuted ~2500 miles/year for a few years and now I do longer rides.

Those all sounds like good reasons to me! Lets see some pictures when you get a chance..  :p

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 03:55:47 »
So I attempted to patch a tube today...

Expectation:
74793-0

Reality:
74795-1

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 03:56:49 »
It is all about those parktool sticker patches... Or tubeless.  :cool:

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 04:24:52 »

Expectation:
(Attachment Link)

Reality:
(Attachment Link)

Oh my, what happened? \

I patch a lot of tubes each year. I replace the tube with a spare on the road, and take the punctured one home. When I have about 3 or 4 I patch them in one go.

In english they call it a "glue" but it really isn't. You only need to use a little bit, wait for it to dry, and that is when you press the patch against it and hold it for 3 seconds.

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 05:00:51 »
i don't really like to ride a bike, i just use it as a transport.
rode at least 270km each week when living in moscow, and ~60km now.

that's my current bike:

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 August 2014, 05:03:01 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 06:02:13 »

Expectation:
(Attachment Link)

Reality:
(Attachment Link)

Oh my, what happened? \

I patch a lot of tubes each year. I replace the tube with a spare on the road, and take the punctured one home. When I have about 3 or 4 I patch them in one go.

In english they call it a "glue" but it really isn't. You only need to use a little bit, wait for it to dry, and that is when you press the patch against it and hold it for 3 seconds.

The rubber cement in the patch kit had turned to the consistency of chewed bubble gum so I thought I'd use a super glue and Gorilla glue combo. I neglected to realize in the moment that Gorilla glue hardens, and doesn't at all expand. Guess there's a reason they use rubber cement.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 09:09:13 »
i've feasted my eyes on a real pretty bike
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:25:38 »

Expectation:
(Attachment Link)

Reality:
(Attachment Link)

Oh my, what happened? \

The rubber cement in the patch kit had turned to the consistency of chewed bubble gum so I thought I'd use a super glue and Gorilla glue combo. I neglected to realize in the moment that Gorilla glue hardens, and doesn't at all expand. Guess there's a reason they use rubber cement.

XD I am sure you are not the first to make this mistake. Oh well. Lesson learned. Fortunately tubes are cheap :D.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 03:40:55 »
Hi Byker, gotta bump this thread.

Picking up my first bike tomorrow morning (actually in 8 hours!)

Happy to finally own a bike again after nearly 15 years, and excited about the experiences that will follow!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 03:43:46 »
Hi Byker, gotta bump this thread.

Picking up my first bike tomorrow morning (actually in 8 hours!)

Happy to finally own a bike again after nearly 15 years, and excited about the experiences that will follow!

Yay Karura! I am excited to see your bike! The pictures you showed me look great! :)

This thread definitely needed a bump.. Recently I have been riding my road bike a lot. The mountain bike is lonely.. Haven;t had much time to ride it with all the stuff going on in my life!

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 05:15:10 »
i am looking forward to moving back to the west coast.
i think i need a week long ride through the san juan islands.
maybe up toward nanaimo also

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 10:45:39 »
i am looking forward to moving back to the west coast.
i think i need a week long ride through the san juan islands.
maybe up toward nanaimo also

West coast riding is where its at! I love riding an Vancouver Island. Have you ever ridden on the Sunshine Coast? Excellent riding for both road and mountain bikes!  :)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:05:14 »
Yeah weather is getting so much better, bike season soon (or already)!

Just picked this up today!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:23:56 »

Show Image

What temperature constitutes "bike season"

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:31:16 »

Show Image

For me bike season is >40 degrees Fahrenheit

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:47:41 »

Show Image

Considering it barely goes below zero celsius in Vancouver, every season bike season for Karura and I!  :)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 03:48:22 »
Nice thread. :) I have to remember to post my bike here and update when I get a new bike later this year.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline iri

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 07:32:46 »
i like the UK. i don't have to have a winter bike here.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 08:04:04 »

Show Image

Considering it barely goes below zero celsius in Vancouver, every season bike season for Karura and I!  :)

In Minneapolis, every season was bike season as well.  :))

Also, biker thread created by byker.  That's fitting.  :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:18:32 »

Show Image

I remember there was alot of sweating..  how do you get around without being smelly all day.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:20:25 »

Show Image

I remember there was alot of sweating..  how do you get around without being smelly all day.
I personally only bike on the weekends. We will go to a trail, go 40-50 miles, and go home.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:49:31 »
I own an awesome carbon fiber headphone stand!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:54:09 »
Here's my road-bike. Built it up over a bit, and updated frequently though I haven't changed it in a year or so. Fuji Team Pro frame, Mostly Tiagra groupset. Mavic Ksyrium front wheel Mavic Aksium rear wheel (I got a campy rear wheel so I could use a campy cassette) Weight is about 16 lbs though I'm not really worried about it as long as it's under 20. It is very fast, especially after I flipped the stem over.

More pictures here

This picture is a little old. Also, as it currently is, I need to replace the shifter cables, re-tape the bars, replace the front derailleur, change the stem, and finish adjusting the handlebar angle and brake lever locations.

I don't like Brifters. That's why I'm uisng dura-ace barcons. They make life easy, never fail, and are simple to adjust. I've probably put about 5000-6000 miles on this frame. I replace the paper towel on the rear chainstay every few months. I have to keep it there so when I bunnyhop over potholes on the road, the chain doesn't damage the carbon. I'll eventually get something nicer but it's not a priority.

Mountain bike is still very much a WIP (so no picture yet). It's a Trek 8900 frame, Marzocci AM2 fork. It needs the following:
Seat
seatpost
rear brake
wheelset
shifter and brake cable

I also want to get a new crankset and BB since I don't like the one I have (though it's not bad, i just don't like it)

There isn't too much left that's original other than the pedals handlebar, stem and shifters (I have even replaced the frame).

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:15:50 »
Double post.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:18:06 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:17:23 »

Show Image

Wear better clothing. Cotton will smell but wear thin merino like Icebreaker or silk and you won't smell a thing.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:04:50 »

I recall seeing pictures of your road bike before! Lets see it! :) You'd better be riding it still, even after you got that fancy car.

Here's my road-bike. Built it up over a bit, and updated frequently though I haven't changed it in a year or so. Fuji Team Pro frame, Mostly Tiagra groupset. Mavic Ksyrium front wheel Mavic Aksium rear wheel (I got a campy rear wheel so I could use a campy cassette) Weight is about 16 lbs though I'm not really worried about it as long as it's under 20. It is very fast, especially after I flipped the stem over.

More pictures here

This picture is a little old. Also, as it currently is, I need to replace the shifter cables, re-tape the bars, replace the front derailleur, change the stem, and finish adjusting the handlebar angle and brake lever locations.

I don't like Brifters. That's why I'm uisng dura-ace barcons. They make life easy, never fail, and are simple to adjust. I've probably put about 5000-6000 miles on this frame. I replace the paper towel on the rear chainstay every few months. I have to keep it there so when I bunnyhop over potholes on the road, the chain doesn't damage the carbon. I'll eventually get something nicer but it's not a priority.

Mountain bike is still very much a WIP (so no picture yet). It's a Trek 8900 frame, Marzocci AM2 fork. It needs the following:
Seat
seatpost
rear brake
wheelset
shifter and brake cable

I also want to get a new crankset and BB since I don't like the one I have (though it's not bad, i just don't like it)

There isn't too much left that's original other than the pedals handlebar, stem and shifters (I have even replaced the frame).

Road bike is looking good there dv! I love seeing custom built bikes.You should try 3M tape (the clear sticky stuff that comes in sheets) for your chain stay. :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:31:26 »
I'll take pics of it when I get home. And I have not. Little bit of laziness, little bit of busy-ness. But mostly laziness.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:39:29 »
Road bike is looking good there dv! I love seeing custom built bikes.You should try 3M tape (the clear sticky stuff that comes in sheets) for your chain stay. :)
OOh  good idea.

I want to go biking more. I want permission to keep it inside at work (I work at a mall and am *not* going to leave that outside the front doors for everyone to steal) so I can commute with it. Nowadays I'm too lazy to get up at 4:00AM for a bide ride, so I mainly just ride it around on my day off or with a group on the weekend.

The bad part about DIY Bikes is that they're never "done". it's 100% rideable now but there's a few things I want to tweak, change or upgrade. I think there always will be.

Im also glad I found a use for that broken PSU: makes a good bike prop!

Show Image

I was thinking about building up a cross bike for commuting. How's yours treating you? My other option is to build up something vintage and make it "look" bad but actually be good. if I go singlespeed on it, I want to try the old track trick and lace a mountain front hub to a road rim and drill holes in the gear, and bolt it onto the disk-brake mount. Simple, effective, and overkill: just the way I like it!
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:42:55 by dorkvader »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 14:33:17 »
OOh  good idea.

I want to go biking more. I want permission to keep it inside at work (I work at a mall and am *not* going to leave that outside the front doors for everyone to steal) so I can commute with it. Nowadays I'm too lazy to get up at 4:00AM for a bide ride, so I mainly just ride it around on my day off or with a group on the weekend.

The bad part about DIY Bikes is that they're never "done". it's 100% rideable now but there's a few things I want to tweak, change or upgrade. I think there always will be.

Im also glad I found a use for that broken PSU: makes a good bike prop!

Show Image

I was thinking about building up a cross bike for commuting. How's yours treating you? My other option is to build up something vintage and make it "look" bad but actually be good. if I go singlespeed on it, I want to try the old track trick and lace a mountain front hub to a road rim and drill holes in the gear, and bolt it onto the disk-brake mount. Simple, effective, and overkill: just the way I like it!

I work in a bike shop parttime so I get to ride my bike in :) I completely follow you on the DIY bikes, I have had a few myself!

Offline iri

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:09:29 »
my front wheel has dura-ace hub and campa rim. DIY at its best.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:22:40 »
I used to go single track riding almost every weekend. I miss it a lot. I want to get back into it this summer once I finish this last class.

My beat up Gary Fisher 29er. It's from 2005, bought it on sale at a bike shop in Alaska. It's too big for me and not uberleet awesome but I love it.

byker, what would you recommend for a 5'9 female beginner? My wife wants to get a bike and start going, budget under $1,000 or so. If there is a good used model you recommend I can start hunting, or look new, really haven't researched bikes in years.

Also looking for a way to get them around. Either crossbars for a 2015 Golf Sportwagen with whatever the hell else we need, or a hitch mount. I haven't had the time to research.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 19:37:35 »
All this talk about bicycles..

I just went and dug out the bike I got at sears when I was 14..

It's supposed to be a mountain bike.. But honestly, It's not, cuz it's heavy as ****..

It was like $120 assembled.. so.. yea......

Rear Breaks are shot.. the spring's weak, and no good.

Replacement brakes cost $20.00,  are these people insane..Fffffffff

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 19:42:56 »

Can it do wheelies?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 19:45:03 »
I used to go single track riding almost every weekend. I miss it a lot. I want to get back into it this summer once I finish this last class.

My beat up Gary Fisher 29er. It's from 2005, bought it on sale at a bike shop in Alaska. It's too big for me and not uberleet awesome but I love it.

byker, what would you recommend for a 5'9 female beginner? My wife wants to get a bike and start going, budget under $1,000 or so. If there is a good used model you recommend I can start hunting, or look new, really haven't researched bikes in years.

Also looking for a way to get them around. Either crossbars for a 2015 Golf Sportwagen with whatever the hell else we need, or a hitch mount. I haven't had the time to research.

Hey man, nice bike! :)

In regards to your wife, I would look at something similar to what you have, ideally a 29er hardtail. If you feel comfortable with buying second hand, you can definitely save some money, but i would only recommend that if you are willing to ensure the bike is in good condition and do some bike maintenance yourself. If you don't have time or would prefer just to get it fixed at a shop all the time, I would go new. You can't really go wrong with any of the bigger brands, personally we sell Trek and Cannonade at my shop, and both are high quality. If you want, feel free to pm me some bikes you have in mind and I can be more specific!

For bike racks, in my personal experience, a hitch rack is the way to go!

It's supposed to be a mountain bike.. But honestly, It's not, cuz it's heavy as ****..

Unfortunately any bike that is $120 assembled will be rather heavy and low quality. You could definitely fix it yourself if you are determined.. Youtube has a lot of good videos that can teach you how to tune a brake. Then you just need to pay for the parts!  :) :) :)

Offline pesky brat

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 19:59:52 »
Glad this thread got bumped, I just picked up a new (used) bike last week. I'll post pictures tomorrow :)

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:31:21 »
good bike weather!? HA!
im always on my bike, even when there is ice on the roads.
made a custom slick with studs on it
"i can has ride any time, any place!"

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:33:26 »

DH bikes can weight 40 lbs easily. My MTB is pretty heavy but it can take a beating. Your bike isnt a real MTB because it can't take a beating. How they make those things heavy and fragile is a miracle or mediacrity

Hey man, nice bike! :)

In regards to your wife, I would look at something similar to what you have, ideally a 29er hardtail. If you feel comfortable with buying second hand, you can definitely save some money, but i would only recommend that if you are willing to ensure the bike is in good condition and do some bike maintenance yourself. If you don't have time or would prefer just to get it fixed at a shop all the time, I would go new. You can't really go wrong with any of the bigger brands, personally we sell Trek and Cannonade at my shop, and both are high quality. If you want, feel free to pm me some bikes you have in mind and I can be more specific!

I think a 29 might be a little tall for 5'9. I'm about that and I went with a 26 (though to be honest it was 2005 and niners hadn't really taken off yet). Depending on the sort of riding you want to do. Just around town a hybrid is a good pick, maybe a cross bike if you want more durability and better brakes (discs are really good in wet weather). If you ware going offroad at all then a decent hardtail is a great option, and with the right tyres can be equally good on pavement. I went with lightweight tyres on my MTB that aren't as grippy but work out as a great balance between trail and pavement performance.

Any of the "good" brands are always a safe bet, I'm a fan of Trek, Cannondale makes good stuff across the board. If you want road-quality there's a long list of brands that are good, and if you want offroad quality there's another long list.

I can throw two bikes into the back of my RSX (I have some shop blankets) and they don't even obstruct the rear window, but it's up to you. We custom fabricated a 2-bike hitch carrier to our miata and we have a more "standard" 4-bike one for the focus.

good bike weather!? HA!
im always on my bike, even when there is ice on the roads.
made a custom slick with studs on it
"i can has ride any time, any place!"

I used to commute by bike too, before I got a car. Rain, ice, white-out snowfall, I dealt with it all. Even after I became a manager, I just got a waterproof suitbag.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:35:25 »
Thanks for the response. I'll start looking. I've never really done much bike maintenance but I can't image its much harder than vehicle maintenance, which I kind of enjoy. I just need a compact stand and some bike specific tools, plus whatever I can learn from youtube.

Yea my 29er is too tall for me but I'm fine with it. She may not be, we are going to stop at a shop this weekend that was recommended.

I hate to put a hitch on that car but you are the second person with a ton of bike experience who's recommended it over the roof rack route.

Thanks again. When we narrow down a model I'll shoot you a pm if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:40:00 by Psybin »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:52:48 »
DV brings up a good point. What kind of riding is she hoping to do? I assumed she was looking to join you on single track, but if not, a hybrid would be great for casual city riding. In my experience, most hardtail (at least the ones we sell) are 29ers, and they work for anyone really, although are better handled for people in a Medium or bigger. If you are looking for a mountain bike, check out pinkbike.com, there is a large second-hand classifieds there.

In my experience, having a hitch rack is nicer if you are using it a lot. If it is only occasional riding, a roof rack works. I installed a roof rack on my parents car because they don't use it very much. The roof rack is just more annoying to put bikes up on in my opinion.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:59:20 »
Thanks for the response. I'll start looking. I've never really done much bike maintenance but I can't image its much harder than vehicle maintenance, which I kind of enjoy. I just need a compact stand and some bike specific tools, plus whatever I can learn from youtube.

Yea my 29er is too tall for me but I'm fine with it. She may not be, we are going to stop at a shop this weekend that was recommended.

I hate to put a hitch on that car but you are the second person with a ton of bike experience who's recommended it over the roof rack route.

Thanks again. When we narrow down a model I'll shoot you a pm if you don't mind.

Parktool has a lot of good videos on it. They are a super awesome bike maintenance resource. Their tools are really good too, but I usually couldn't afford them. It depends on how much work you want to do if you should get good tools or great ones.

Bike maint is a lot "smaller": you will learn to love your 5mm hex wrench, and torque things down to terms of inch-lbs. There's a lot of really tiny adjustments you can make. Setting the brake range is pretty easy, but dialing in indexed shifters can be a pain (one reason I went with friction shifters). Setting derailleur limits is straightforward. Most of the rest you won't need to know unless you intentionally want to build up a frame.

But there's lots of small stuff to tweak and tinker with.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:08:37 »

Unfortunately any bike that is $120 assembled will be rather heavy and low quality. You could definitely fix it yourself if you are determined.. Youtube has a lot of good videos that can teach you how to tune a brake. Then you just need to pay for the parts!  :) :) :)

I'm well aware my bike is crummy.. I took the brake assembly apart. put some lube between each moving part. It seems to be working now. but still not great..

I could get a whole stationary bike for like $25..  Or new brake assembly for $20...

LOL..  tough choice..