Author Topic: APL Keycaps  (Read 4859 times)

Offline reverkiller

APL Keycaps
« on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 19:31:18 »
I'm a hobby programmer, and I LOVE APL font. I saw a post with model M APL caps on reddit (best shown in this picture ). I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get either these caps, or similar caps for Cherry or ALPs switches. I did a bit googling but have found not too much. Anybody have any ideas?
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: APL Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 02:02:10 »
Hmm, I believe they exist for cherry as well, but are rather uncommon. Your bestbet might be to stalk auction sites until one shows up (Eventually) . In any case, I think you can expect to pay a lot for them.

There was a recent Russian(cyrillic)/Engligh PBT GB, so maybe APL can be added to round2 if there is enough orders. This would be fore wherry MX Ofcourse.

I always liked the looks of the APL keyboards, too.

Offline HarryPalms

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 11:37:39 »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 19:58:49 »
I quite liked the look of that set myself. I contacted the owner plasticchair to ask for some more photo so I can trace the APL legend. If they agree or I can find the Cherry style version image elsewhere to trace I will get them into my legend library so it could be an option for dyesubs replica later on.

Offline HarryPalms

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 11:49:08 »
Sounds good!  I'm interested.

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 12:50:41 »
I've been doing more research, and it looks like Unicomp makes Model M compatible key caps, or at least they did at one point. I'll be looking into those, though I'm not sure why as I lent my Model M to my older brother.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 13:43:04 »
I have zero skills in APL, but my daily driver keyboard in 1986 was an APL keyboard on an IBM 3279 terminal.  IIRC, the keyboard had Black ANSI legends plus red, blue, and I am almost certain green APL legends as well.  Top and side printing for sure.  This was very long ago, but I think it was a 3079 coax terminal.  And the keyboard might very well have been 122-key.

Naturally I used it because it looked cool, and it came with the color display I needed for (again, probably) SAS on MVS.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 16:19:37 »
I have zero skills in APL, but my daily driver keyboard in 1986 was an APL keyboard on an IBM 3279 terminal.  IIRC, the keyboard had Black ANSI legends plus red, blue, and I am almost certain green APL legends as well.  Top and side printing for sure.  This was very long ago, but I think it was a 3079 coax terminal.  And the keyboard might very well have been 122-key.

Naturally I used it because it looked cool, and it came with the color display I needed for (again, probably) SAS on MVS.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I want it because it will give me a reason to learn APL. Also because it looks cool. Mostly because it looks cool.

I'll keep my eyes out for any keyboard that looks like what you mentioned - I've not got high hopes, but if you ask the right questions for a long enough time you might find what you're looking for!

Offline m_enanos

• tbb
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 01:47:18 »
I quite liked the look of that set myself. I contacted the owner plasticchair to ask for some more photo so I can trace the APL legend. If they agree or I can find the Cherry style version image elsewhere to trace I will get them into my legend library so it could be an option for dyesubs replica later on.

That would look amazing.