Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 TKL no longer working  (Read 1962 times)

Offline duck

Ducky Shine 3 TKL no longer working
« on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 13:56:49 »
Hello!

I have had my Ducky Shine 3 since 2014, but sadly a few weeks ago it stopped working. When I say stop working, I mean that when I plug it in to a USB slot on my pc/laptop, it doesn't turn on straight away, but after a few seconds it eventually turns on, and stays on and works for about 10 seconds, then the white LEDS start to flash and the brightness of the lights go down and eventually turns of and then keyboard becomes unresponsive. I'm wondering If I could just replace the USB B breakout board, if that's what it's called?

I have tried the following:

- Opening up the keyboard to see if there is any dirt or dust
- Tried a different cable
- Tried keyboard on a different computer and laptop

I’m by no means an expert at keyboards and just like the feel of typing, but I would love to get this keyboard back up and running as I’m currently using a rubber dome instead at the moment, which isn’t great!

I’d really appreciate any help that I could get and hopefully it’s salvageable :)

Here's a video of exactly what happens -

Here are some picture, but please let me know if I should post more!
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2020, 04:51:53 by duck »

Offline Riverman

Re: Ducky Shine 3 TKL no longer working
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 16:38:23 »
Does it ever come back to life if you wiggle the cord near the connection?  If not, I'd suspect the controller board more than the breakout board.  Mini USB connectors are fairly tough, or at least more durable than micro USB.

Offline duck

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 04:51:15 »
Does it ever come back to life if you wiggle the cord near the connection?  If not, I'd suspect the controller board more than the breakout board.  Mini USB connectors are fairly tough, or at least more durable than micro USB.

I'm afraid it doesn't come back to life after wiggling the cable... Sorry I'm not good at keyboard parts, what is the controller board? Is it easy to replace?

Also I've uploaded a video so you can see exactly what happens upon plug in:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 21:17:30 »
Looks to me like insufficient amperage.
First thing i noted was it took a long time to light up, then not all keys lit up, then it flickered.

Are you using that same hub when you connected to other computers?
Try turning off backlighting and see if that helps.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline duck

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 17:05:00 »
Looks to me like insufficient amperage.
First thing i noted was it took a long time to light up, then not all keys lit up, then it flickered.

Are you using that same hub when you connected to other computers?
Try turning off backlighting and see if that helps.

No, I am not using that hub for other computers since it is for a mac only! I've turned the back lights off and it still turns off/becomes unresponsive after a good few minutes sadly... Is there anything I can replace to fix it?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 21:24:23 »
Bummer, that would be an easy fix, okay, time to open it up then.

I would start looking for fluid damage/corrosion, though I wonder if it's more likely a resistor (or cap) that's failing when it heats up. That could be a pain to find however it's probably not working proper even before it cuts out. A voltmeter may should work to identify it but but there's a good chance you could miss it. Finding it by touch when first plugged in will work, just touch them and replace the one that burns you (yes, it will be hot as heck), it may show signs of desoldering itself, may want to look first (LOL). I would start from the USB and go through each towards the processor since it seems to be effecting everything.

Someone better at electronics probably has some other ideas, an scope could probably find it but odds are you don't have one.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline duck

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 14:28:16 »
Bummer, that would be an easy fix, okay, time to open it up then.

I would start looking for fluid damage/corrosion, though I wonder if it's more likely a resistor (or cap) that's failing when it heats up. That could be a pain to find however it's probably not working proper even before it cuts out. A voltmeter may should work to identify it but but there's a good chance you could miss it. Finding it by touch when first plugged in will work, just touch them and replace the one that burns you (yes, it will be hot as heck), it may show signs of desoldering itself, may want to look first (LOL). I would start from the USB and go through each towards the processor since it seems to be effecting everything.

Someone better at electronics probably has some other ideas, an scope could probably find it but odds are you don't have one.

Thanks a lot for your replies, I'll have to open it and investigate to see what's causing the power issues. If I ever fix it I'll be sure to update this thread :)

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 12:37:47 »
I had a keychron k4 just die out right after I bought it.  I reinstalled the updated firmware and it it came back to life, and it had not problems for the rest of the time that I was using it. It's worth a try if you haven't done so already.