Author Topic: Aluminum 60% case - GH60, Poker, Pure  (Read 83642 times)

Offline WRXChris

Re: Aluminum 60% case - GH60, Poker, Pure
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 23:41:04 »
I'm loving the modular case design!  Great job WFD, looking forward to one of these and the GH60!

Offline regack

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 06:35:09 »
Circular cuts for brass disc inserts to add weight. Kinda looks like a DJ table  :D

[image removed]

A thick rectangular plate/bar made of brass can fit a larger volume, but I think they're much more expensive than the same amount of volume manufactured in discs. That's why I did circle cuts instead of one long rectangular cut. I think the machining time to do round cuts is also less than a straight rectangular one. Does anyone actually know?

Possibly, but that is probably because with a circular area, they can use whatever diameter tool can fit in the circle... if it's rectangular, they'll have to switch to a smaller tool to radius the corners... unless you made it more like a rectangle with semi-circle ends...

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:28:23 »
Rectangular brass:  http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1599&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1116&top_cat=79

No idea where to get off the shelf discs.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:54:33 »
Having switched my Pure to the Duck Poker case, I really like the added weight the brass inserts provide. Love that you're looking to include this in your case.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 07:30:38 »
The GH60 case is pretty much done, and the GHpad is still in concept phase until the PCB is planned out. Both of the cases are a matching pair and can be placed side-by-side. I'll put this pic in the OP as well. It's color coded by parts for easier viewing:

blue = main bottom piece
red = plate
purple = top cover
yellow = brass weights
green = standoffs

Rectangular brass:  link

I was actually looking at that same site. I was thinking of getting a long bar with 2" and 1.25" diameters and having the metal shop cut them into discs. Buying individual discs might be too expensive.

Offline dirge

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 08:44:03 »
This is looking incredible please make this real.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 08:45:43 »
Hi !

i was actually looking for this on google right now, and saw this thread while browsing GH..

i wonder if this is made on solidworks, and if it is, could it be possible for me to get the .str file ?

i have a CNC mill and a charlyrobot that i can use, so i could get the prototype in little time =)

( i have acess to the machines thanks to my studies, i work on a thecnical school.
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 08:53:47 »
I was actually looking at that same site. I was thinking of getting a long bar with 2" and 1.25" diameters and having the metal shop cut them into discs. Buying individual discs might be too expensive.

Hmm, funny thing is I was looking for round bars, and completely skipped over "Round Bar"  wth?   Anyhow, these guys do cutting, and you can special request better tolerances, however they don't go through any effort to machine cut, it's just a chop-saw.  ~$2.50/pc in material for 2" x .25" discs out of a 1ft raw bar.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline regack

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:09:12 »
The GH60 case is pretty much done, and the GHpad is still in concept phase until the PCB is planned out. Both of the cases are a matching pair and can be placed side-by-side.

Show Image

WFD, this is fantastic!!

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:53:13 »
The GH60 case is pretty much done, and the GHpad is still in concept phase until the PCB is planned out. Both of the cases are a matching pair and can be placed side-by-side.

Show Image

WFD, this is fantastic!!
Indeed, just a shame I probably can't afford it.
But maybe if 1000 are sold...:D
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:57:52 »
Or maybe someone might organize a little donation in the form of a WFD case to the person who did all the hard work in designing the very basis for this AWESOME case's existence? I think that might be arranged...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:58:40 »
Or maybe someone might organize a little donation in the form of a WFD case to the person who did all the hard work in designing the very basis for this AWESOME case's existence? I think that might be arranged...

Count me in for that.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 17:03:48 »

Count me in for that.

I'll donate to that cause ^_^

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 17:40:04 »
A thick rectangular plate/bar made of brass can fit a larger volume, but I think they're much more expensive than the same amount of volume manufactured in discs. That's why I did circle cuts instead of one long rectangular cut. I think the machining time to do round cuts is also less than a straight rectangular one. Does anyone actually know?

Agreed - sheet and standard cast/rolled stock are pretty easy to get, discs not so much.  Just compare "brass square bar" and "brass disc" in your search engine of choice.  Discs might look cuter and distrubute the mass more evenly, but they're harder to find.  What sort of depth is available for ballast?

Offline sordna

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:04:36 »
Why go with the round holes? Make it a rectangle, so folks can easily fill them in with strips of lead or whatever material they decide... although probably most folks wouldn't bother to add weight to the keyboard, it still will be heavier than a stock poker or pure.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:09:39 »

Count me in for that.

I'll donate to that cause ^_^
Wow, thanks!
But seriously, maybe I just won't buy that realforce:D
+ I'll have some buffer from the GH60 groupbuy, so don't worry. I will have these cases, that's for sure:)
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Aluminum 60% case - GH60, Poker, Pure
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:25:49 »

I'm in!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:29:15 »
Hmm, funny thing is I was looking for round bars, and completely skipped over "Round Bar"  wth?   Anyhow, these guys do cutting, and you can special request better tolerances, however they don't go through any effort to machine cut, it's just a chop-saw.  ~$2.50/pc in material for 2" x .25" discs out of a 1ft raw bar.

Man it's like you peered right into my computer or something. How did you know the brass discs were exactly 0.25" deep? Or that's some really good guestimate based on how deep it looks in the pic. Anyways, it's $2.50 for material only, any good guestimates on the labor of cutting them? I guess I'll go shopping for material at a later time.

Why go with the round holes? Make it a rectangle, so folks can easily fill them in with strips of lead or whatever material they decide... although probably most folks wouldn't bother to add weight to the keyboard, it still will be heavier than a stock poker or pure.

Actually, I think majority prefer heavier. I know you hang around the ergonomic section mostly, but if you venture into these novel item area (cases, keycaps, korean keyboards, etc), you'll realize heavier/thicker = more desirable.

i wonder if this is made on solidworks, and if it is, could it be possible for me to get the .str file ?
i have a CNC mill and a charlyrobot that i can use, so i could get the prototype in little time =)
( i have acess to the machines thanks to my studies, i work on a thecnical school.

I may take you up on this, although you're all the way in Switzerland makes things a little harder. And also I don't want to sound like an elitist or anything, but you're still a relatively new member and all....

Offline noxwood

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 00:32:27 »
> Actually, I think majority prefer heavier. I know you hang around the ergonomic section mostly, but if you venture into these novel item area (cases, keycaps, korean keyboards, etc), you'll realize heavier/thicker = more desirable.

Definitely, although once it gets too heavy it starts to throw the portability out the window.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 03:48:11 »

I may take you up on this, although you're all the way in Switzerland makes things a little harder. And also I don't want to sound like an elitist or anything, but you're still a relatively new member and all....

i understand it :), it was with intentions to help, and i also wanted to have a serious piece to make so i can see how good it goes, maybe do some more to help peolple in europe ( you aren't in eurpoe are you ?)

i don't have lots of knowledge on the keyboard subject, but i think every bit is something :)

anyways good luck on this ;)
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline simkev

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 07:56:25 »
The GH60 case is pretty much done, and the GHpad is still in concept phase until the PCB is planned out. Both of the cases are a matching pair and can be placed side-by-side. I'll put this pic in the OP as well. It's color coded by parts for easier viewing:

blue = main bottom piece
red = plate
purple = top cover
yellow = brass weights
green = standoffs

Show Image

Show Image

Rectangular brass:  link

Looking really nice, how thick is the top cover?
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 09:37:55 »
I am more excited about GH60 and GHpad coming to fruition than Korean customs. I hope they will be widely available even if it takes months for production, and dealing with waiting lists.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 10:30:43 »
TAKE MY MONEY!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:12:20 »
i think G H 6 0 is better than nomal circles.
it same as duck poker case. lol.

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:57:34 »
As a supporter of the GH60 I really want to see this come to pass.  While heaviness is nice I would prefer the bottom to be as non-slip as possible.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 13:32:59 »
How does the angle of this case without feet compare to the angle of a Filco without feet?  Some things like the RACE I hate because the angle is too steep out of the box.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:11:15 »
Looks like an exact copy of the Poker case bottom, so I would guess the angle is the same.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:50:07 »
I don't know what the angle of the Filco is, or the angle of the stock poker case. I just designed it based on what feels right, but they do look similar. Does anyone actually know the angle of the poker case? I don't have a protractor with me to measure it.

I was going to suggest this when the GB/IC thread starts. Mr komar should get whatever his heart desires, and his heart desires one of these cases, regardless of cost.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:50:44 »
I think they are about 7 degrees. At least that's what Beast uses for his rests, IIRC.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 15:07:57 »
I think they are about 7 degrees. At least that's what Beast uses for his rests, IIRC.

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 16:10:06 »
Oh, whoops, thanks.

Offline simkev

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 16:22:02 »
Will the PCB standoffs be milled out of the bottom piece or will they be screwed in? Which are the size of the screws used in the poker and pure to secure the PCB to the standoffs, M2, M2.5? Might be hard to find standoffs in that size. Also what is the thickness of the top piece, the one that is available in three different options?

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 16:30:35 »
Poker screws are M2 x 4mm. I found that out by trial and error after ordering some #2-56 x 5/32 screws.

in memoriam

Offline HannibalChew

• Formerly PixelScript
    • gaffworks
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 07:44:28 »
If i get a GH60 this is definitely the case i want! It looks awesome!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 11:15:29 »
I really want that numpad too! Gah that thing is just beautiful.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 11:45:37 »
WFD, I plan to use Cherry plate mount stabilizers with my GH60 plate, so could you include the opening all the way across the spacebar area between the inserts so I can insert the stabilizer bar when assembling.

Thanks!

in memoriam

Offline simkev

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 16:03:11 »
WFD, I plan to use Cherry plate mount stabilizers with my GH60 plate, so could you include the opening all the way across the spacebar area between the inserts so I can insert the stabilizer bar when assembling.

Thanks!
shouldn't the bar go under the plate or have I gotten everything wrong?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 17:12:23 »
With Cherry plate mount stabilizers, if there is no horizontal opening, you can't fit the bar under the plate to fit in the stabilizer inserts. I didn't understand it at first, but if you try it a few times, you can see how the stab inserts tilt into their openings. If there is no opening for the spacebar wire, you have to use either PCB mount Cherry stabs or Costar stabs.

in memoriam

Offline simkev

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 17:45:38 »
With Cherry plate mount stabilizers, if there is no horizontal opening, you can't fit the bar under the plate to fit in the stabilizer inserts. I didn't understand it at first, but if you try it a few times, you can see how the stab inserts tilt into their openings. If there is no opening for the spacebar wire, you have to use either PCB mount Cherry stabs or Costar stabs.
OK

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:11:40 »
i think G H 6 0 is better than nomal circles.
it same as duck poker case. lol.

I know english is not your native language, but can you rephrase? I'm guessing you're saying GH60 should have a better design than just the circular weights, otherwise it'll just be the same as duck poker? I take everything into consideration when designing this to try to accommodate to mostly everyone.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:13:57 »

It's not a design flaw, I intentionally didn't put in that extra cut you're talking about. I think you just overlooked something very obvious: you can install the plate-mounted cherry stabilizer and wires from bottom up  ;)

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:54:56 »
Ok, 1) I think the G H 6 0 dude wants those letters carved into the case bottom instead of circles...
2) you can get away without the wire slot on the space bar, it only requires that you install the plastic pieces without the wire and then carefully slip the wire in from the edge of the assembly between the pcb/plate.  The only board I have seen this not work is pokers where they put the wire on the inboard side of the space bar.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 11:28:05 »
Sorry about my short english skill.
you understand what i wrote. :D
"G H 6 0" shape weight have no problem to making, i think. (but price will more expensive that compare to circle.)
Imitation precedes creation but i hope GH60 project have its own style.

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 11:48:08 »
like this.

aha....
screw will be problem..
G,H,6 is fine but 0.. will be problem with screw.
anyone have better idea?
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2013, 11:49:58 by leesofi »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 12:15:27 »
Woah.  :eek:

That might be crazy expensive, but it's definitely cool.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 13:39:34 »
leesofi, that looks great, although extremely expensive to carve that out in both the case and the brass weights. Although that looks uber cool, I don't think spending that much is a wise way to delegate budget, especially for a part that won't be seen after everything is installed. Also, I'm trying to tailor this case to poker and pure, not just GH60.

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 01:03:33 »
Oh, i see.
Except 60, GH is good too for brass weight.
It will be cool when brassweight is in outside of case(bottom) like 356mini.
Its just personal wish ;)

Offline Index

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 04:38:00 »
Oh man, definitely in this one for a hhkb style.
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 08:52:25 »
Oh, i see.
Except 60, GH is good too for brass weight.
It will be cool when brassweight is in outside of case(bottom) like 356mini.
Its just personal wish ;)
That's what I was just about to suggest. It wouldn't make any sense to hide those nice brass weights on the inside. If they are styled as such, they should be on the bottom so they can be admired from time to time.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 05:30:09 »
Ok I haven't touched this stuff for almost 2 weeks because I got too busy, but finally got a chance to design this based on what lyson suggested. This one only took a couple hours since it's just a modified version of the GH60 bottom piece. It's basically a joined GH60 and GHpad, with an area in the middle divider for a wire to connect the two PCBs together. Then only one USB cable going to communicate with the computer.