Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw Full Size -- GB Live  (Read 43811 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
[IC] Southpaw Full Size -- GB Live
« on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 01:44:13 »
NEW Interest Check Form at Bottom
Most of the stuff has been finalized. Waiting for a second proto and color samples.

Album:  https://imgur.com/a/SKukgIz

Left Handed / Semi-reversed full sized board. Top mount. CNC aluminum.

After running the compact version of the Southpaw, there were a few things that I thought could be improved upon and some thing others wanted so I present to the community, the full size southpaw. Some people wanted this in a 96 key layout for the Fn row and after looking into that, there were a few issues (keycap/layout compatibility and case design to name a few) so I decided to go the "full custom" route.

Details and information updated 7/7/18

Quick Deets
- Full size with numpad on left side
- Compatible nearly all keycap sets
- Standard or mirrored numpad options
- Traditional Top Mount
- 8.5 Degree angle
- WK and WKL Options
- CNC Aluminum Top and Bottom
- USB Mini B
- QMK Firmware
- MOQ of 45 units.

Pricing
Pricing structure will be based on chosen options. Those include your preference of material, finish, and if you want the version with the weight or not. A complete kit starts at $265.00 USD. This pricing is NOT YET FINAL and is subject to change.

Chassis Pricing (preliminary)
- Base price of $210 for a chassis in 6061 with no weight and no finishing
- Add $20 for standard anodization
- Add $50 for hard anodization
- Add $25 for 7075 aluminum
- Add $120 for brass weight

Plate Pricing (preliminary)
- $30 for Aluminum Plate
- $25 for Aluminum Half Plate
- $25 for Acrylic Plate
- $25 for Acrylic Half Plate
- $55 for Brass Plate

Layout
The layout is simmilar to that of a LZ-RV but with the option of a mirrored numpad and a winkeyless version.

Design and Production
Board will be at a fixed 8.5 degree angle with a relative low front face at around 16mm. After typing on some really high boards, the lower you can go, the better. I don't want to make things paper thin though, so that was as low as I was able to bring it. Design wise, I wanted something clean and simple, but not quite boring. Thicker bezel on top and bottom, thinner ones on the sides as well as a stepped cutout on the side and a raised rear edge.

I had a poly half plate offering at first but in the end, it didn't really make much sense as acrylic gives a very simmilar feel and is a million times cheaper because it can be laser cut easily and accurately whereas poly needs to be CNC machined slowly as coolant can't be used and because of how susceptible to warp the material is. Half plates will still be offered in both aluminum and acrylic.

The board will use a semi-isolated top mount configuration similar to that of the TGR Jane. SE will also feature a brass weight that drops in and bolts down from the inside. I'll probably offer custom laser marking so you can laser anything you want to the weight.

Finishes and coatings
Finishes and coatings are TBD but I will be offering the standard raw finish in addition to normal anodization. Standard colors will probably include
- Black
- Grey
- Silver
- Cyan
- Purple
- Red
- Orange

Special finishes will probably include the following. They will be at an additional cost. Note that hard anodized grey on 7075 will give you a very light titanium grey vs. a true grey as hard anodization on 7075 gives for a bronze-ish overtone.
- Hard Anodized (Type III) Black
- Hard Anodized (Type III) Dark Grey - Dont want to risk anodizing inconsistencies with this one
- MAO White (Micro Arc Oxidization) - Factory can't do this

Options and add-ons
- Extra Plates and PCBs
- PVD Finishes for Brass plate and weight
- Hard anodization (available for both ST and LTD versions)
- Micro Arc Oxidization (available for both ST and LTD versions)
- Custom lasermarking (laser anything you want onto the weight)
- In house assembly and/or tuning

Timeline
This will start after I wrap up the current GB and boards arrive in everyone's hands in working condition. Hopefully, we won't hit any delays with this since CNY only comes once a year. There is not really a timeline at the moment, but it kinda looks like this.

- A long while - Prototyping, Designing, Finding a Factory, and Discussing MOQ
- 4 weeks - Run GB
- 3-4.5 months - Production, packing and shipping

To-Do List
- Finish Southpaw 65+ GB - Timeline adjusted. This will be done before 65+ wraps up.
- Launch Interest Check on reddit - DONE
- Prototyping - Second proto pending
- Find a PCB designer - DONE
- Find a factory for CNC work - DONE
- Find a factory for anodizing - DONE
- Decide on options - Finalizing - DONE

Purchase Here       https://switchplate.co/collections/southpaw-full-size-group-buy
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 July 2018, 14:48:34 by reconsiderit »
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline wodan

Re: [IC] Southpaw Full Size
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 01:57:31 »
ISO and left hand support. Both my disabilities tackled!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 01:58:43 »
don't wanna be that guy but might wanna run it by LZ

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78901.0
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 03:26:37 »

wait why? LZ has patent on this layout now?
can we stop with trying to be design police.

Offline Tree_

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 03:58:27 »

Did LifeZone run that past companies that made left-sided numpad boards before he did?

Does anybody that runs custom keyboard GB's run theirs through Christopher Latham Sholes?

See how ridiculous that sounds?  ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 04:01:16 by Tree_ »

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 04:18:53 »
Yeh this is some good stuff. Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline mago

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 13:23:39 »
This looks really good  :thumb:

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 16:55:08 »
I've wanted an LZ-RV for a long time. I'm definitely in for this!

Any idea if the pcb will be QMK? Or will we have to suffer through using bootmapper client?

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 18:23:05 »
Looks awesome! Can not wait to see the final ones that are coming soon from our GB, ISO support +1
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline Delirious

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 19:24:51 »

Oh geez, I hope every group buy runner and their mother better run it by dfu for the hhkb layout. Or better yet, run it by Apple directly. While we’re at it let’s tell Sherryton to run it by Cherry first since he’s selling WoB “Originative” cap set.

Offline BillyTheMute

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 19:25:53 »
I'm down for this, I like it. I know I'm in the minority, but please no QMK.

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 19:57:10 »
Shout out to the LH Full Size KB Massive.

I believe this was one of my Wishes for 2018.

EDIT: I would make the numpad reversible - precedent has numpads unchanged when used on the left, but if I were to have a shot at V2 I would put the [ENTER] and [PLUS] on the left, or at least have the option to do so.

Also [Winkey] - I get the removal on smaller boards which are literally base on "minimal", but taking off the OS key from a full-size just seems a little, how should I say, petty?

You have my interest - following!

EDIT2: At full-size, I don't think you need a brass weight with so much alu and switch/cap material already there.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 20:07:39 by emenelopee »

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 20:24:13 »
Awsome, I was looking for a TKL with a giant macropad to the left! :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 20:30:11 by BobCarltheThird »
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Shados

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 05:15:33 »
Mmm. Would like to see:
- PCB support to optionally mirror the numpad layout (i.e. have the 2u keys on the left)
- Alps support (on the PCB, ideally with separate Alps plates offered)
- WK option

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 14:51:29 »
I like it!  All the keys but with the reduced arm-travel of a TKL.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:05:17 »
I've wanted an LZ-RV for a long time. I'm definitely in for this!

Any idea if the pcb will be QMK? Or will we have to suffer through using bootmapper client?

I haven't gotten a PCB for this yet. I'm planning to finish the case first and find a PCB designer after the case is finalized. For the time being, I'll most likely be chopping up a b87 EX PCB and wiring the numpad across the underside.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:06:21 »

Just wondering, but why no QMK? I find it pretty easy to work around. What would you prefer?

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:10:11 »
Mmm. Would like to see:
- PCB support to optionally mirror the numpad layout (i.e. have the 2u keys on the left)
- Alps support (on the PCB, ideally with separate Alps plates offered)
- WK option

A number of people are asking for the mirrored numpad so I'll try and see if I can support that. It'll certainly need separate plates though since creating a cutout for both sizes on one plate removes a lot of stiffness since this is top mounted.

I'll look into alps support. The only issue here might be the number of layouts on the PCB (with winkey) and plate MOQ.

I'll most likely run a winkey plate and top case. Seems to be enough interest for it.

switchplate.co

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:13:06 »
Definitely interested, though this might get pricey! I presume hard anodization is otherwise the same as regular anodization but has better durability against wear and such?

Why no QMK? Something else?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:32:21 »
Definitely interested, though this might get pricey! I presume hard anodization is otherwise the same as regular anodization but has better durability against wear and such?

Just wondering, but why no QMK? I find it pretty easy to work around. What would you prefer?

He's probably looking for bootmapper client :yuck: QMK is so much more powerful than anything else around

Offline K.Mak

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 23:48:17 »
Type C or Mini B?

Offline BillyTheMute

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:35:35 »

He's probably looking for bootmapper client :yuck: QMK is so much more powerful than anything else around

Let's just say I've built a few boards that used QMK and it completely turned me off from using it ever again. Why is beside the point and this type of conversation always turns into QMK evangelism and goes off topic. I get it, it's powerful. It's also not the best option for everyone.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:41:45 »

Let's just say I've built a few boards that used QMK and it completely turned me off from using it ever again. Why is beside the point and this type of conversation always turns into QMK evangelism and goes off topic. I get it, it's powerful. It's also not the best option for everyone.

Yeah QMK does have pain-points, I would love to have a defined installation that allows me to create a keymap firmware without worrying about dependencies and OS versions. Right now I can't use QMK with Pearl40% because my Ubuntu is too old to compile to the correct AVR target for instance.

I think QMK developers are working on making the whole process simpler, e.g. removing setup steps and allowing folks to just get the keymaps they need via some API.

I like QMK but I do agree that it is not for everyone at least right now. Gladly there are some tools to bypass QMK at least. :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 08:06:46 »

Yeah QMK does have pain-points, I would love to have a defined installation that allows me to create a keymap firmware without worrying about dependencies and OS versions. Right now I can't use QMK with Pearl40% because my Ubuntu is too old to compile to the correct AVR target for instance.

I think QMK developers are working on making the whole process simpler, e.g. removing setup steps and allowing folks to just get the keymaps they need via some API.

I like QMK but I do agree that it is not for everyone at least right now. Gladly there are some tools to bypass QMK at least. :)

Well, I'd be happy to help build keymaps for people. I have one board with bootmapper and it is a significantly more painful process just to remap a few keys.

I just re-setup my build environment the other day and it was pretty painless, on windows at least. Install msys2, run a script that's included in the source code (which actually sets everything up for you). Good to go =D

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:31:47 »

Well, I'd be happy to help build keymaps for people. I have one board with bootmapper and it is a significantly more painful process just to remap a few keys.

I just re-setup my build environment the other day and it was pretty painless, on windows at least. Install msys2, run a script that's included in the source code (which actually sets everything up for you). Good to go =D

My setup is a fork at GitHub and the official repo is an upstream. The dependencies need to be installed once and after that, you can just make HEX files with `git pull upstream master && git submodules init` and `make board:layout` with flashing using `dfu-programmer` (or `bootloadHID`). Makes it pretty simple to get upstream enhancements and send pull requests for your layouts and other things. Have not used QMK with Windows so would not know about that though.

For non-programmers, this is pure hell though. QMK should have a single binary which reads a somawhat human-readable keymap file and outputs a HEX for you, with the option of auto-flashing on supported boards/MCUs for the layout. And no, using something like Docker for a "binary" is just not the same. People want a simple qmk.exe which they can run.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:19:35 »

My setup is a fork at GitHub and the official repo is an upstream. The dependencies need to be installed once and after that, you can just make HEX files with `git pull upstream master && git submodules init` and `make board:layout` with flashing using `dfu-programmer` (or `bootloadHID`). Makes it pretty simple to get upstream enhancements and send pull requests for your layouts and other things. Have not used QMK with Windows so would not know about that though.

For non-programmers, this is pure hell though. QMK should have a single binary which reads a somawhat human-readable keymap file and outputs a HEX for you, with the option of auto-flashing on supported boards/MCUs for the layout. And no, using something like Docker for a "binary" is just not the same. People want a simple qmk.exe which they can run.
As one of those non-programmers this entire conversation shows that I'm about 30 IQ points short of understanding what exactly I've gotten myself into with this board. :))

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:43:02 »

As one of those non-programmers this entire conversation shows that I'm about 30 IQ points short of understanding what exactly I've gotten myself into with this board. :))

Honestly, once the build environment is setup, editing the keymap file is pretty straight forward.

They've also made setting up the enviro much easier since the last time I used QMK.

Also, exactly why I mentioned I'd be more than happy to help people build custom keymaps ;)

Offline Woovie

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:18:06 »
I would be very much so about this board.

Offline bball2

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:20:59 »
Replied to the survey  :thumb:

Most likely in depending on final pricing!

Offline Quantum Dos

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 00:41:35 »
Stumbled upon this gem from a post inquiring about full-sized DIY -- I'm all about this. Hopefully the pocketbook is as willing as the soul... :)

Acoustics aside, which should hopefully resonate like the casaba, I adamantly support the mirrored num-pad. I'm impartial to QMK, given I've never coded for a keyboard. . . :-[

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what input to offer. . .

This is sacred work, brother, SACRED!

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 13:04:42 »
the absolute madman, still excited to get my southpaw 65+, will maybe get in on this.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 13:18:54 »
Great now I have to figure out if I'm going to be putting navies on this or my CA66 :p

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 16:12:24 »

I'd much prefer TMK over QMK.
keyboards

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 19:34:55 »

I'd much prefer TMK over QMK.

Why so?

Offline Theswetiyeti

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 20:25:44 »
 I really like the look of this I'm not left-handed but I still prefer to use my number pad with my left hand and keep my right hand on the track ball I would prefer WKL for Aesthetics but probably not a deal-breaker.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:20:27 »
Alright, so a small update here.

I've talked with two factories so far and just realized that I needed to do something with the pricing structure. I'm about 90% sure I'll be able to offer this kit right around the $400 mark, but things like the brass weight and brass plate will be an added cost. Base price will most likely include a stainless steel plate with PVD or a nicer finish and an aluminum inset for the weight.

Regarding WK and WKL, I would like to be able to offer both, but pricing is highly dependent on MOQ. Right now, the interest check is only live on GH and I have around 35 submissions. Best case would be 50 or more total units. Once I have the proto in hand I'll do an IC on reddit and soforth.

Looking at the quotes though, removing the weight can easily bring the kit down to the $300-350 mark. This is certainly something I'm considering as the board by itself is pretty big and hefty, even without the weight. Autodesk says 3.7kg as it stands right now for the case, plate, and weight in brass. I know that some people want the brass weight and might be willing to spend that "endgame price" so if pricing from other factories look the same as they do now, I might offer the case without a weight at the 300-350 mark and then a special edition of sorts with nicer finishes (something like a hard ano or MAO), a brass weight and a brass plate at a higher price. (450-550)

Also, just a little food for thought, but without the need for a weight, there's a possibility of doing a full acrylic bottom for underglow since I'm 100% against putting threads into the acrylic since the stuff cracks when you even slightly overtorque anything.

I'm just putting some ideas out to the community, so certainly voice your opinion so I can get an idea of what you guys want and again, I'm still discussing and waiting to hear back from a number of factories so this is just where the project stands at the moment

Edit: Also, concerning the mount, the mockup that is shown is slightly wrong and I've forgoten to add another o-ring on the other side (the side that is showing). It's basically supposed to be "ghetto gasket mount" as far as feel is concerned, but I'm thinking that you should be able to mount it both ways. Removing the washers and running it as a traditional top mount would only raise the surface by 0.5mm and shouldn't affect how the keycaps sit on the board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:25:50 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:35:51 »
It's great seeing you is getting plenty of interest in a left hand kb. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to the progress.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:54:03 »
Another quick update, but I just got a quote back from two more factories and prices are significantly lower. I have no idea what quality look like though, but as soon as I hear back from all the places, I'll most likely grab some samples and start from there, so this will happen soon

switchplate.co

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:54:12 »
I know that some people want the brass weight and might be willing to spend that "endgame price" so if pricing from other factories look the same as they do now, I might offer the case without a weight at the 300-350 mark and then a special edition of sorts with nicer finishes (something like a hard ano or MAO), a brass weight and a brass plate at a higher price. (450-550)
Would that "special edition" version of the board be a limited number sale or would it be as open and the cheaper version?

Edit: I'm asking because being left handed has made me incredibly exited to throw money at anything that's lefty friendly.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:56:20 by BobCarltheThird »

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:58:13 »
I know that some people want the brass weight and might be willing to spend that "endgame price" so if pricing from other factories look the same as they do now, I might offer the case without a weight at the 300-350 mark and then a special edition of sorts with nicer finishes (something like a hard ano or MAO), a brass weight and a brass plate at a higher price. (450-550)
Would that "special edition" version of the board be a limited number sale or would it be as open and the cheaper version?

Planning for limited sales of that one, but it really depends on how the factories structure MOQ and pricing. They seem to be all over the place.

switchplate.co

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 06:11:48 »
I would be OK without a weight. As you said, it is already quite a hefty board so maybe it does not need one.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 07:25:11 »
I'm down for an option without the weight. But I'd prefer not to have an acrylic bottom, don't really want underglow on a nice board like this.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:32:02 »
Just finished the final designs for the protos today. Plate will be shared between WK and WKL. I'm moving to a design that doesn't allow switchtop removability as it's a fair ammount easier for the factories to produce without mistakes and is a quite a bit more stable.

WKL

Winkey

Revised Plate

Edit: If you also take a look at the stab cutouts, they're larger than normal and cut on both the top and bottom so you're able to remove the housings after everything has been soldered together in case there's a stab that was rattly or wasn't tuned to your liking.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:40:05 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline oh_chesteroni

Re: [IC] Southpaw Full Size (Updated 3/17/18)
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:55:55 »
Are you still considering a plate with a mirrored numpad (ie. + and enter key on the left side of the plate) ?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 03:56:12 »
Need to clarify: will this support a split right shift or not? Just rechecked the key layout and it is missing.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline BillyTheMute

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 09:20:27 »
If you're removing switch top opening from the plate, I'm out unfortunately.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:36:08 »
Need to clarify: will this support a split right shift or not? Just rechecked the key layout and it is missing.

This should support split right shift. I haven't updated the layouts yet.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:37:14 »
Are you still considering a plate with a mirrored numpad (ie. + and enter key on the left side of the plate) ?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Yep, still considering that. Will be on a different plate though.

switchplate.co

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:44:09 »
From an aesthetic perspective, I would suggest taking a close look at the spacings on the F-row which I think could do with a bit of massaging. I would add another key on the left cluster, and equalize the spacing on the [esc]-[F1-4]-[F5-8]-[F8-12].

Alternatively, if you want to keep the 3-key cluster on the left, you could increase the space to the righ of [esc] to equalize the gaps either side of it.

Offline Shados

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 18:12:02 »
Also, just a little food for thought, but without the need for a weight, there's a possibility of doing a full acrylic bottom for underglow since I'm 100% against putting threads into the acrylic since the stuff cracks when you even slightly overtorque anything.

FWIW: The usual approach is to just glue brass standoffs into drilled or machined holes in acrylic, if you do need to screw something into an acrylic piece.