Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw Full Size -- GB Live  (Read 43818 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Re: [IC] Southpaw Full Size (Updated 3/17/18)
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 19:54:55 »
Dude, Recondsiderit. You're On FIRE.

My only request is that you add a Winkey Verison.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:02:53 »
Also, QMK Please!

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 17:39:48 »
From an aesthetic perspective, I would suggest taking a close look at the spacings on the F-row which I think could do with a bit of massaging. I would add another key on the left cluster, and equalize the spacing on the [esc]-[F1-4]-[F5-8]-[F8-12].

Alternatively, if you want to keep the 3-key cluster on the left, you could increase the space to the righ of [esc] to equalize the gaps either side of it.

I see what you're saying but I don't think the [esc]-[F1-4]-[F5-8]-[F8-12] portion should be changed. On a full size, this is the spacing that they *should* have. And I don't really think that the 3 keys above the numpad make it feel "unbalanced" at all.

However, I'd be in favor of reducing the keys above the numbad (from 3 to 1 or 2) in favor of adding a small/simple logo or some engraving there. Thoughts?

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:16:45 »
I see what you're saying but I don't think the [esc]-[F1-4]-[F5-8]-[F8-12] portion should be changed. On a full size, this is the spacing that they *should* have. And I don't really think that the 3 keys above the numpad make it feel "unbalanced" at all.

However, I'd be in favor of reducing the keys above the numbad (from 3 to 1 or 2) in favor of adding a small/simple logo or some engraving there. Thoughts?

It's not the number of keys per se, I was mostly focused on the varied spacings between the blocks: currently there is seems to be 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, and 1.25. From a design perspective, the fewer unique cases the better, otherwise it risks looking inconsistent, regardless of the logic behind it. Increasing the space to the right of [esc] and closing up the spaces between the F-blocks could reduce the unique cases, though I haven't studied this and of course it would affect the *should have* spacing. It's a balancing act to keep precedent and a unified feel both satisfied.

EDIT: by closing I don't mean to zero - a 0.25u shift right would help the balance. However, this does break the alignment at F1 and the keys below. I would take that hit as the F-rows are an independent block and alignment doesn't read with the adjacent number row as strongly as the inconsistent spaces, but it's understandable if others wouldn't, esp. if the intent is to keep everything compact, especially if the form is compact.

EDIT2: on looking again, my first edit is not the solution as the F5-8 block would need to shift right by 0.125u and not give the universal result I thought it could. It would need to be a different fix. Or, as you say, leave it be. Alignment is a ***** in design, usually two sacred requirements are in direct opposition.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:28:28 by emenelopee »

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:23:52 »
I disagree with the above comments. I think it's seriously perfect. Don't change a thing :D.

Only thing I personally would like to see is slightly larger gaps for ease of key location while touch typing. If I were to be nit picky.

I am beyond stoked for this project man. Like seriously. I've been waiting for the perfect TKL to arrive, and I wanted to add a numpad of some kind to the left hand side.

Feels like Christmas.

Edit: On second thought, if it's not too much of a pain, could you offer a half plate option? I've been fascinated by this since seeing it on the FR87 proto.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:50:25 by bmilcs »

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:36:22 »
Omg. I am so excited about this. I have to post again.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:44:52 »
Omg. I am so excited about this. I have to post again.

Me too bro. Me too

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 04:24:36 »

It's not the number of keys per se, I was mostly focused on the varied spacings between the blocks: currently there is seems to be 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, and 1.25. From a design perspective, the fewer unique cases the better, otherwise it risks looking inconsistent, regardless of the logic behind it. Increasing the space to the right of [esc] and closing up the spaces between the F-blocks could reduce the unique cases, though I haven't studied this and of course it would affect the *should have* spacing. It's a balancing act to keep precedent and a unified feel both satisfied.

EDIT: by closing I don't mean to zero - a 0.25u shift right would help the balance. However, this does break the alignment at F1 and the keys below. I would take that hit as the F-rows are an independent block and alignment doesn't read with the adjacent number row as strongly as the inconsistent spaces, but it's understandable if others wouldn't, esp. if the intent is to keep everything compact, especially if the form is compact.

EDIT2: on looking again, my first edit is not the solution as the F5-8 block would need to shift right by 0.125u and not give the universal result I thought it could. It would need to be a different fix. Or, as you say, leave it be. Alignment is a ***** in design, usually two sacred requirements are in direct opposition.

My initial idea here was to keep the same spacing as a traditional TKL and add have 3 keys instead of 1 above the numpad. I wasn't really sure what you would do with 1 key, but with 3 you can map macros onto them or use the firmware to configure them as NCS indicators.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 05:20:57 »

My initial idea here was to keep the same spacing as a traditional TKL and add have 3 keys instead of 1 above the numpad. I wasn't really sure what you would do with 1 key, but with 3 you can map macros onto them or use the firmware to configure them as NCS indicators.

You're killing it, man. Love, love, love the design as is.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 18:16:47 »
Just updated pricing and layout. I'm not sure how many units LE is going to be limited to yet, but that's to come with the rest of the details later. All the stuff below has also been updated on the top post.

Pricing
This is what the pricing structure will look like. Prices are TBD

Standard Edition - $275-325(ish)
- AL6061 top and bottom
- Standard Anodizing or raw finish
- Comes standard with Aluminum Plate in matching color
- Brass plate upgrade for $15-30ish
- Comes with aluminum plate
- no brass weight
- Not limited

Limited Edition - Starting at $400 (Probably)
- AL7075 Top and Bottom
- Hard anodization, MAO, and standard anodization finishes available.
- Brass weight
- Comes standard with brass plate
- Serialized
- Design of your choice lasered onto the weight.
- Limited to a certain number of units. Spots will be raffled off.

Layout
The layout is simmilar to that of a LZ-RV but I wanted WKL blockers so this is what I have so far. Same plates are going to be used for WK and WKL but we'll need different plates for standard and mirrored numpad.

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 March 2018, 18:34:12 by reconsiderit »
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Rykno

Re: [IC] Southpaw Full Size (Updated 3/24/18)
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 18:24:27 »
Any word on which version of USB?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 18:28:25 »
Any word on which version of USB?

Either mini B or C. If it's USB C, I'll be including a cable of some sorts

switchplate.co

Offline Rykno

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 18:41:09 »
Putting my vote in for C, thanks!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 04:15:11 »
New and revised top design. Apparently it only costs a few dollars for the factory to machine it like this so it'll be done like this. Slip fit interface so it'll align itself perfectly.

switchplate.co

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 19:01:17 »
Can I throw money at you now?

Violently.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 19:02:38 »
Could we get a live color swab? I'd love to plan way ahead.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 21:53:41 »
Could we get a live color swab? I'd love to plan way ahead.

I'm planning to get that from the factory at the same time as when prototypes are done so I can kinda do a quality check and getting shipping all in one go.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 00:25:29 »
I'll most likely offer a polycarb half plate for those who want it. Polycarbonate as it will give a more consistent feel across the board. The "plate-less" parts will be cut for the alphas as well as the number pad area. Some images below for you guys to get an idea.

switchplate.co

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Re: [IC] Southpaw Full Size (Updated 4/2/18 w/ New Interest Check Form)
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 05:49:48 »
I'll most likely offer a polycarb half plate for those who want it. Polycarbonate as it will give a more consistent feel across the board. The "plate-less" parts will be cut for the alphas as well as the number pad area. Some images below for you guys to get an idea.

Show Image

Show Image

Duuude nice!

I could kiss you right now. lol.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 06:27:00 »
I like the idea of not having a weight, normally I'm looking at my board from the keycap side and not the bottom  ;D

What's the difference between normal black and hard-ano black?

Offline thokir

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 12:39:31 »

Google says hard-ano feels smoother, but is thicker, harder and more sturdy than normal ano.
Though I didn't find anything regarding different looks right now.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:46:55 »

Google says hard-ano feels smoother, but is thicker, harder and more sturdy than normal ano.
Though I didn't find anything regarding different looks right now.

Here's a decent video that shows the difference in durability between the two.

Offline thokir

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:50:14 »

Wow, thanks!

That looks like I'll have to get one in hard-ano,  the surface looks like onehundred times better. So smooth...

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 15:53:20 »

Wow, thanks!

That looks like I'll have to get one in hard-ano,  the surface looks like onehundred times better. So smooth...

That doesn't mean that these two parts were made by the same shop. But yea, I'm pretty sure it generally looks smoother like that. Someone more knowledgeable should probably correct me here.

Offline thokir

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 15:58:34 »
That doesn't mean that these two parts were made by the same shop. But yea, I'm pretty sure it generally looks smoother like that. Someone more knowledgeable should probably correct me here.
While looking up the differences I read that it'd be smoother, so I guess the two in the video might be from the same company, with the single difference being hard and normal ano.

E: Why do I even always quote the previous message? Context should be quite obvious...

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:16:16 »
E: Why do I even always quote the previous message? Context should be quite obvious...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 19:02:25 »
Kinda wanna clear up the anodizing thing since people have been asking.

Hard anodization is only offered in grey and black because of constancy issues when its dyed different colors. I'm even concerned with grey hard anodizing since it will need to be dyed. Hard ano both builds up and penetrates into the aluminum and is why it gives different color undertones when applied to different materials. 6 series is a magnesium based aluminum alloy whereas 7 series is zinc based which is what gives it the hardness and the bronze-ish color when natural anodizing is used (the same color as seen in the video thats been linked above). Think of hard anodization as a protective coat and normal anodization (type II in this case) as a dyeing of the aluminum.

As for the sheen or brightness of the anodizing, I can't yet say. I'll have ano samples done at the same time I place the order for the prototype. The anodization and finishing is all done in house so it should be consistant and should be easier to work with in the case that we get results that are undesired.

switchplate.co

Offline iHateKnives

• Old photography site
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 04:14:31 »
Really interested on this. I've been looking for a good full-sized keyboard so I can display all my keycaps on it. The southpaw layout is a nice touch. Makes the numpad easier to access for a left handed user like me. Now I can't decide between WKL and Full! I love them both. Looking forward to the proto  :thumb:
POK3R 67g Zealios + XDA Canvas + SA Camping

Offline thokir

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 04:20:34 »
Now I can't decide between WKL and Full!
Take wkl for the looks!

Offline anhthao88

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 04:47:47 »
Just filled out IC Form! I'd love to use this board at work. Now I just need to talk to Boss... :-X

Offline iHateKnives

• Old photography site
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 06:21:51 »
Take wkl for the looks!

I use the Windows key for a couple of shortcuts (Windows start, run, screenshot, desktop, etc) :( I guess I could rebind the windows key to one of the 3 extra keys on top of the numpad tho!
POK3R 67g Zealios + XDA Canvas + SA Camping

Offline thokir

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 06:28:54 »
Take wkl for the looks!

I use the Windows key for a couple of shortcuts (Windows start, run, screenshot, desktop, etc) :( I guess I could rebind the windows key to one of the 3 extra keys on top of the numpad tho!
Do you use ralt and rctl?
I'd rebind (and very likely will) rebind rctl or ralt to win, as I never use them (well sometimes ralt because it's altgr in german layout...).
There are so many keys you could remap the winkey on, you can go with the good-looking wkl :)

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 04:12:40 »
For those that want weights, I just remembered that you could calculate weight with fusion. The SE kit comes to roughly 3.7kg with the 7075 case, brass plate and brass weight while the ST Kit comes to 2.2kg with the 6061 case and aluminum plate.

These are much heftier than I realized. Even more so when you factor in that the weight doesn't include the PCB, switches and keycaps. Shipping might be more from the factory to me so prices might be on the high end of estimates, but I haven't done any exact calculations yet. Nevertheless, you'll have a damn hefty keyboard.  ;)

switchplate.co

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 16:35:09 »
For those that want weights, I just remembered that you could calculate weight with fusion. The SE kit comes to roughly 3.7kg with the 7075 case, brass plate and brass weight while the ST Kit comes to 2.2kg with the 6061 case and aluminum plate.

These are much heftier than I realized. Even more so when you factor in that the weight doesn't include the PCB, switches and keycaps. Shipping might be more from the factory to me so prices might be on the high end of estimates, but I haven't done any exact calculations yet. Nevertheless, you'll have a damn hefty keyboard.  ;)

3.7kg... That is a reason alone to get in on this. :DDD
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 17:16:22 »
Any updates on this?  Can’t wait!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 18:58:04 »

Proto will be made in a few weeks after I finish fulfilling southpaw65. Gotta finish that first.

switchplate.co

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 21:22:35 »

Proto will be made in a few weeks after I finish fulfilling southpaw65. Gotta finish that first.

Fantastic! Can't wait!

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 06:54:25 »
Will it be possible to add a brass weight to the standard edition?  I want the colour options of ST, with the weight of LTD if possible.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 23:30:27 »
Will it be possible to add a brass weight to the standard edition?  I want the colour options of ST, with the weight of LTD if possible.

Color options are the same for both variants. Both normal and premium finishes will be available, but the premium finishes have an additional price tacked onto them.

switchplate.co

Offline under.pk

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 02:28:03 »
I love the concept but I also like split spacebar layout more :/

If price is nice I may just buy it for handwiring my own layout haha

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 05:28:21 »

Color options are the same for both variants. Both normal and premium finishes will be available, but the premium finishes have an additional price tacked onto them.

Sorry I thought that 7075 aluminum wasn’t easy to colour like 6061, which is why dark grey and black are offered for it.  Did I misunderstand that?

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 11:18:39 »
just noticed this. super excited to get in on a south paw. it is a great design idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 17:11:15 »

Sorry I thought that 7075 aluminum wasn’t easy to colour like 6061, which is why dark grey and black are offered for it.  Did I misunderstand that?

Yeah, 7 series is more difficult to color compared to 6 and 5 series. I'll be doing color samples to determine which colors to run for which materials when I order the proto which should be very soon.

switchplate.co

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 18:29:04 »
Be sure to get a purple sample please  :D

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [IC] Southpaw Full Size (Updated 5/29/18 w/ Proto)
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 14:44:32 »

VerySoon™

switchplate.co

Offline BLRN

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 14:47:34 »

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 15:57:35 »
Woot!! Can't wait =D

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 19:30:11 »
Just found this thread, super interested! The updates look great  :thumb:

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 12:27:30 »
Form submitted, can't wait for the GB to start!! :thumb:

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 11:34:46 »
Show Image

VerySoon™

HYPETRAIN.

ALLLLLL ABBBOARDDDD