Author Topic: [GB] GMK Barebones Stormtrooper (Complete)  (Read 228276 times)

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
Re: [GB] GMK Barebones Stormtrooper
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 15:39:18 »
This is probably too far fetched at this point. but how about R4 1¼U diamond mod using the new mold by GMK HADapter?

Show Image

It's OK, it looks like we'll hit MOQ.  If this is successful, I'll run another group buy in a few months...  Will take these options into consideration and do a multi-set group buy.  Will include things for 40%ers, 1800, colored mods, etc.  I just wanted to do a simple group buy this run to make sure I could handle all the work.  Still pretty happy to keep this at $100/set, though.  Next time will most likely be a $75 base with a bunch of other smaller options.

Thanks for the feedback!  Love non-OS mods.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:39:00 »
135/150!

Let's tip this.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 02:55:37 »
If we put in an order but no longer want to participate should we just pm you or just cancel the invoice when it comes later? Sorry  :(

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:50:45 »
If we put in an order but no longer want to participate should we just pm you or just cancel the invoice when it comes later? Sorry  :(

Nooooooooo!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:57:52 »
I'd buy it if it had a separated modifiers set.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 00:05:42 »

Nooooooooo!

Yeah.. Not really doing this whole mechanical keyboard thing anymore.  :-[

Offline GiveCandyy

[GB] GMK Barebones Stormtrooper
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 00:14:50 »
I signed up for this at the beginning. Kinda hope it doesn't it MOQ for a couple of weeks because after all the gbs this month. I probably can't get this haha
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:35:56 »
I signed up for this at the beginning. Kinda hope it doesn't it MOQ for a couple of weeks because after all the gbs this month. I probably can't get this haha
Same here. I bet it will drop when I have no money ^-^

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:45:14 »
My worry is that this has been going on for so long, that we may find that 50 of these 145 participants may have changed their minds on the set and not pay the invoice. This was the first set (not counting 1976 Planck set) that I joined the group buy for, but since then I have joined 2 others, and bought 2 (retail or mechmarket), with only two boards to put them on. With that in mind, I myself am not to sure about actually purchasing now.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:49:47 »
we may find that 50 of these 145 participants may have changed their minds on the set and not pay the invoice
Exactly this. This has gone on for too long now - something like 2 months?

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 08:13:01 »
we may find that 50 of these 145 participants may have changed their minds on the set and not pay the invoice

Ehh, I wouldn't say that this has gone on for too long, I just think that it may have been a mistake to not invoice people when they joined, and then refund them if the group buy didn't reach MOQ. The way it was done instead, I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of the people who joined had no intention of ever actually paying.

Offline renne

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 10:19:54 »
Please make this happen. I've been waiting a BoW set for too long.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 17:01:45 »

Yeah, just PM me!  No problem, had a couple others drop.  Going to do an official tally tonight or tomorrow.  Totally understand the pull to the light side.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 17:05:28 »

Ehh, I wouldn't say that this has gone on for too long, I just think that it may have been a mistake to not invoice people when they joined, and then refund them if the group buy didn't reach MOQ. The way it was done instead, I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of the people who joined had no intention of ever actually paying.

I understand your woes.  I'm doing an official count after work today.  Only a week until it closes and I invoice.  I'll be posting daily and hopefully the community will come together for this one.  Already have vendor buy in.  Unofficial count is 145 right now.  So that's only 5 sets to tip it, but a few have dropped out.  Been in contact with GMK and everything is ready to go on their end. 

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 20:12:13 »

I understand your woes.  I'm doing an official count after work today.  Only a week until it closes and I invoice.  I'll be posting daily and hopefully the community will come together for this one.  Already have vendor buy in.  Unofficial count is 145 right now.  So that's only 5 sets to tip it, but a few have dropped out.  Been in contact with GMK and everything is ready to go on their end.

I'd love to get another set to push MOQ, but unfortunately one is all I can afford at the moment (It's been an embarrassment of GMK riches this month, Carbon, Skeletor and now this!)

Anyway thanks MaNiFex for running the buy and I hope you make MOQ before it ends. Maybe pester your Vendor to pick up a few more?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 21:37:41 »
If you really will make BoW 40% kit with legend (planck) in the future I will waltz in this one for sure.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 16:23:57 »

I'd love to get another set to push MOQ, but unfortunately one is all I can afford at the moment (It's been an embarrassment of GMK riches this month, Carbon, Skeletor and now this!)

Anyway thanks MaNiFex for running the buy and I hope you make MOQ before it ends. Maybe pester your Vendor to pick up a few more?

Man, if I had the money, I'd push it over myself, but this year has left me empty handed.  Even if I sold my whole keycap collection, I could only push 5/6 sets... I have a good feeling we'll hit MOQ, though.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 16:27:10 »
If you really will make BoW 40% kit with legend (planck) in the future I will waltz in this one for sure.

Well, no promises, but my second group buy would be much less 'barebones' than this one and would include options for planck. 

If I were a good salesman, I'd say, 'It sure will!  Sign up right here!' but I'm trying to be honest/transparent here!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 16:30:38 »

Hi All.  If people's accounts weren't getting frozen on Paypal for doing group buys, I would have gone this way (and would have preferred to).   Considering what happened in the past, I'm erring on the side of caution and will be invoicing just prior to sending payment to GMK, as I would hate to have $15K in USD frozen somewhere while I'm stuck holding my **** with a bunch of people looking at me.  Numbers are on track so far.   Let's do this!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:48:38 »
Went through all the submissions.  We have 146 committed to, and a handful of drop-outs that I need to go through the PMs for.  Official count currently: 142 sets.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:40:35 »
so close to make it ,good luck

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:53:12 »
so close to make it ,good luck

WE MADE IT!   :p

Offline duynguyenle

Re: [GB] GMK Barebones Stormtrooper [MOQ MET]
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:58:56 »
Can't wait! When are you invoicing?

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 14:11:11 »
Can't wait! When are you invoicing?

Depending on how my weekend goes, Monday.  I wanted to use paypal, but people's accounts are getting frozen and I don't want to go through that, so I'm using Stripe.  Now that we've hit MOQ, I'm setting up payment in the next day or two, then will send out invoices starting Monday.

Offline GiveCandyy

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 19:44:43 »
Probs gonna cancel mine since I will have no money.
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:10:54 »
Finally in.
Hope to make this GB happen. :thumb:
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 23:04:14 »
I submitted an order several days ago but never got invoiced. Just submitted another in case it did not go through for some reason.

Offline honeynugget

• /u/honeynugget on reddit
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 00:51:09 »
I submitted an order several days ago but never got invoiced. Just submitted another in case it did not go through for some reason.
manifex hasn't started invoicing yet

Offline wodan

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 01:24:50 »
Can't you get in touch with PayPal before hand and make sure this is supported by your account? My account had a receiving limit for funds that was removed when I validated my bank account. You should also invoice GB participation as a service rather than a product. This is supposed to help explain to PayPal why there is no tracking number yet.

I have to say I am rather unwilling to join a newbie GB with no PayPal buyer protection. As much as PayPal sucks, they have big benefits from a buyer point of view ( for a price... )

You already mentioned that funding is very tight on this GB and you don't have the ability to advance any funds personally. This doesn't give me the confidence required to use a payment method I don't have faith in.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 20:04:40 »
I understand the consequences with using PayPal, and i also suggest contacting them beforehand. I'm still in and I have no lack of faith in manifex. Keep going, buddy! Hoping to see this set competed soon

Offline priyadi

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 07:31:05 »
Can't you get in touch with PayPal before hand and make sure this is supported by your account? My account had a receiving limit for funds that was removed when I validated my bank account. You should also invoice GB participation as a service rather than a product. This is supposed to help explain to PayPal why there is no tracking number yet.

I have to say I am rather unwilling to join a newbie GB with no PayPal buyer protection. As much as PayPal sucks, they have big benefits from a buyer point of view ( for a price... )

You already mentioned that funding is very tight on this GB and you don't have the ability to advance any funds personally. This doesn't give me the confidence required to use a payment method I don't have faith in.

FWIW, you still have buyer protection from your credit card issuer. If something wrong happens with the group buy, you simply call your issuer and file a claim. I don't think Paypal buyers protection is that good anyway. As a buyer, I've seen they sided with merchants failing to deliver the service I'm paying for. And as a merchant, I've seen they sided with abusive 'customers'. Paypal does make the whole thing easier though.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 08:31:59 »

FWIW, you still have buyer protection from your credit card issuer. If something wrong happens with the group buy, you simply call your issuer and file a claim. I don't think Paypal buyers protection is that good anyway. As a buyer, I've seen they sided with merchants failing to deliver the service I'm paying for. And as a merchant, I've seen they sided with abusive 'customers'. Paypal does make the whole thing easier though.

I don't think that is 100% true, paypal has been more on the side of the buyer. For instance it's so easy to claim within the time limit like in ebay, especially when you pay anything with their protection (even when the goods lost in the mail)

I rarely see failure in claim when the fault is from the seller and the dispute is within the time frame. And I don't even have hopes from credit card protection. You have authorized a will to pay when you chose to pay with that card.

Credit card protection can only protect you most when there is a transaction where you haven't authorized yourself. They will clearly tell you that its your judgement in issuing the payment order which are at fault if a transaction goes wrong. Talking from experiences
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:34:22 »

Hi Wodan.  I would prefer to use Paypal myself, as there's built in protection. My only concern is getting my account frozen.  I have it linked to my bank account, so that shouldn't be an issue if I bill as a service?  If that's the case, I will start invoicing via Paypal rather than going through the hassle of Stripe.  If you all want it this way, please chime in during the next 12 hours before I start invoicing.

Thank You,

MaNiFeX

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:36:51 »
Paypal does make the whole thing easier though.

Alright, that's two.  Let's keep this conversation going.  I want BBST to be successful, transparent, and make everyone happy.  If not, I don't get a set either!

Offline ba7777

Re: [GB] GMK Barebones Stormtrooper [CLOSED]
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 17:43:23 »
paypal +1

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 19:40:11 »
Paypal does make the whole thing easier though.

Alright, that's two.  Let's keep this conversation going.  I want BBST to be successful, transparent, and make everyone happy.  If not, I don't get a set either!

I don't particularly mind. Either way works for me, I'm just a bit worried about this frozen account thing, is there anything you could do to avoid it happening? Maybe give Paypal customer service a ring and ask what circumstances it would happen so you could try and avoid it happening?

Offline Jemaunji

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 19:40:35 »
I'd prefer PayPal, but whatever is easiest for the buy.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 21:35:53 »
i have been watching the paypal issues fairly closely since they issued their new policies earlier this year. I also just ran my own first group buy. i did not post this earlier because it is a bit long-winded, but maybe it can help. here is my take on it:

More
i called paypal a few months ago to try and get some information on their new policies, since i had been hearing about people's accounts getting frozen. the rep i talked to said that there is a random algorithm and, "they dont know what triggers it." maybe she just couldnt tell me. I asked some of the people whose accounts got frozen about their experience. from what i can piece together, it sounds like people with "business accounts" who are invoicing international orders, and receiving many thousands of dollars each month - are all more likely to get flagged by the system. It is still unclear to me what happens when you are "flagged," but the rep i talked to said it is based on individual transactions, not entire accounts. she also said that if a transaction gets flagged, all i would have to do is go in and mark it as shipped. tracking or receipt is not required. not sure if that part is true, though.

jdcarpe is probably the worst example of someone's account being frozen. i really feel bad for the guy, and him being down has really affected the community. (he's the guy who used to do the monthly geekhack keys) i hope he doesnt mind me sharing, but i think his account is still frozen until he can provide proof that some of his orders have been fulfilled - and a couple of those are international orders that are not easy to track. keep in mind that he was running multiple group buys at the same time when he got flagged, so probably many transactions. barebones stormtrooper will probably be more than $15k moving through your paypal (150 MOQ x $100 + shipping?), so this may affect the GB. my group buy did not have any issues, but i did not have any international invoices, and i think it was not even $5k for everything. keycap sets are spendy

worst case, is that you refund everyone the money and we start over with a different means. that could deflate the interest and cause some people to pull their orders. there are other options to consider, and i would suggest asking some of the other prominent group buy organizers for input as well. LunarisDream, JDCarpe, and Shadovved were good resources for me - very helpful guys. you  may also consider asking a vendor to help, though that may add cost and it sounds like many are busy with other sets as well.

tldr; paypal has enacted new policies to cover their asses on transactions. it seems like they focus on individual transactions that fall within certain parameters. this may or may not affect this group buy (or any group buy for that matter). i suggest you call paypal and ask them what to expect. it might also be a good idea to talk to some people whose accounts got frozen and ask them what to expect.

like i said, i have faith in manifex to deliver on this, but paypal is another issue. it may be in all of our best interest to at least consider other payment alternatives if paypal cant guarantee their services. still hoping to see this set get made!

Offline priyadi

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 00:56:37 »
@Manifex

FYI, on 7bit's GB, they don't issue invoices, but ask participants to send money as service. They are also using several Paypal accounts for receiving money. Their GBs runs for YEARS, this is probably the main reason accounts get frozen. I have a feeling Paypal will be OK for short running GBs (1-2 months), but beyond that, especially beyond their coverage time (6 month), then the risk of frozen accounts will increase.

I suggest you contact GMK for their expectation of delivery. And then contact Paypal if they are OK with that. Don't forget to factor in the fact that standard overseas shipping can take up to 1 month.

My concern with this GB is that the price maybe is set too low for a GMK GB barely reaching MOQ, and I fear Manifex takes too much personal risk running this GB.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 04:07:13 »
 :thumb: for paypal

Offline anlic

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 10:05:48 »
When to charge me?
And I want to add one, can I?

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:12:44 »
When to charge me?
And I want to add one, can I?

I'm starting invoicing today.  Will add a set to your order!  :thumb:

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:15:34 »

like i said, i have faith in manifex to deliver on this, but paypal is another issue. it may be in all of our best interest to at least consider other payment alternatives if paypal cant guarantee their services. still hoping to see this set get made!

Thank you so much for this information.  I, personally like PayPal, and will start billing today.  What do you think of me billing as a 'GMK Barebones Stormtrooper Proxy Service,' so I don't have to worry about the shipping part becoming an issue?

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:19:10 »
@Manifex

My concern with this GB is that the price maybe is set too low for a GMK GB barely reaching MOQ, and I fear Manifex takes too much personal risk running this GB.

OK, well, the majority of the orders are not international, so I should be OK there.  I spoke to my brother (a financial analyst) about this GB, and he was shocked at the 'risk' someone would take for a community.  I don't mind, and truthfully, we're well over MOQ.  I'm doing a final tally today, as there was some cancelations.  I'm hoping to get some last minute people to fill their spots. 

I'm getting in touch with GMK shortly, will ask their lead time for this and post back.  Thanks for all your support, guys!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
Re: [GB] GMK Barebones Stormtrooper [INVOICING]
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 13:20:53 »
Hi All!   ;D

Started invoicing this morning, should be done by EoD Pacific time (GMT -8).  I've added an invoice section to the GB description.  I may have to reach out to a few of you for special circumstances, but other than that, everyone should be invoiced today (as long as **** doesn't go down at home or work!).

Offline honeynugget

• /u/honeynugget on reddit
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:31:42 »
Got my invoice and paid! Woot woot

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:44:13 »
PAID!

Not sure if I submitted an address on the form (some other GBs do that) or you are going to use the Paypal one. If I did submit one, please change it to the one on Paypal. If you need a PM, just let me know  :thumb: :thumb:
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:51:11 »
Got my invoice and paid! Woot woot

Thank you!  Onward!  Can't wait for this!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:52:27 »
PAID!

Not sure if I submitted an address on the form (some other GBs do that) or you are going to use the Paypal one. If I did submit one, please change it to the one on Paypal. If you need a PM, just let me know  :thumb: :thumb:

Using paypal addresses!  Thank you!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:54:23 »
Taking a dinner break.  will be back to invoicing shortly.   :llama: