Author Topic: Finally :)  (Read 2523 times)

Offline ARCHIVE

Finally :)
« on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 02:33:57 »
Greetings!

After a long time i decided to create an account around here  :D
I am reading your forum a long time and to be honest i really enjoy to know that exist more keyboard fetish people like me!

My short story:
I was looking around for my first mech keys as i always loved. I spend countless hours online to learn about switches etc and accidentally i found an article about IBM backling springs - The king of mech keys as they mentioned.
So i remembered my father's IBM and I found in the basement an IBM Model F XT from his first personal computer in 80's and soarer's converter worked great!
At this time i thought about the real magic that internet creates and made possible for these keyboards to type again today. Its really amazing if you give a thought so,

THANK YOU SOARER!
GOD i wanted to say that so badly!

My latest addition is a Logitech Pro Tenkeyless keyboard with Romer-G switches from a 150E coupon as a gift.
I know its not any near to BS but it was the best option in the mall between Razer Keyboards with their own Razer Green Switches ( :rolleyes:) and Steelseries Keyboards with SteelSeries Membrane switch ( :eek:) and i decided to give it a try :D

Cheers!

Offline raxander

Re: Finally :)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 17:42:02 »
Welcome and congratulations on the Model F. That is quite a find. Is it in good condition?

Offline ARCHIVE

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 13:46:32 »
Welcome and congratulations on the Model F. That is quite a find. Is it in good condition?

raxander thank you :)

I did the mistake to clean it up and take out the spacebar cap...:blank:
I had to open it completely and put it back, but now It works like a charm! My father had no clue about this treasure :D Now he asked me to try it but... NO!

173976-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 13:49:23 by ARCHIVE »

Offline raxander

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 10:50:21 »
Wow that looks great.  Very jealous!  I wonder what other priceless works of art your Dad may be hiding in the basement.  How are you finding the logitech?  He must be feeling very sad sitting next to the Model F, try to cheer him up - hey, at least he has F11 and F12!

F11

Pressing F11 opens full-screen mode in Windows Explorer and all browsers including Google Chrome. On MS Excel Shift + F11 adds a new sheet and Ctrl + F11 adds a new macro to the workbook.

F12

Pressing F12 in Microsoft Word will instantly open the Save As option for you to save the document as a new file. Pressing Ctrl + Shift + F12 is equivalent to Ctrl + P on MS Office .

Those things could be important to someone!

Offline ARCHIVE

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 01:56:19 »
How are you finding the logitech?

I start using it the last 2 days. It feels nice on my fingers, its more normal layout than strange Model F (btw i changed the map on Model F so i can use it in my everyday workflow.)

The Switches i think i am not sure yet. They seem to have some good quality of construction compared to Razer and maybe MX. They feel smooth and very quick with 1.5 mm actuation. Of course the keycaps are epic FAIL. The caps and the top plate are made of this stupid "velvet" plastic i hate. Its being destroyed as more you use it. And of course i dont like the font on the legends! As whole it feels small solid and nice to look at.

But again...it will never truly replace the one and only  :cool:

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 11:47:07 »

I did the mistake to clean it up and take out the spacebar cap...:blank:
I had to open it completely and put it back, but now It works like a charm! My father had no clue about this treasure :D Now he asked me to try it but... NO!

(Attachment Link)

I got my Model F from a recycling center (the place you drop off unwanted electronics). I went in looking for an Esc keycap for my Model M, bought the keyboard with it missing. The guy came out with a Model F! Gave it to me for free. I cleaned it up. Looks cherry (very hot). I did make the mistake of removing the cork pads on the bottom. I still have them. May reattach once I get some rubber cement. Had no idea they were original. I just thought, what idiot puts these stick on pads on a keyboard, stupid office workers. I learned about the space bar from Chyrosran, who posts here and on YouTube, thankfully.

Offline ARCHIVE

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 11:26:19 »
I got my Model F from a recycling center (the place you drop off unwanted electronics). I went in looking for an Esc keycap for my Model M, bought the keyboard with it missing. The guy came out with a Model F! Gave it to me for free. I cleaned it up. Looks cherry (very hot). I did make the mistake of removing the cork pads on the bottom. I still have them. May reattach once I get some rubber cement. Had no idea they were original. I just thought, what idiot puts these stick on pads on a keyboard, stupid office workers. I learned about the space bar from Chyrosran, who posts here and on YouTube, thankfully.

It's a bear to put the metal case back...and still 2-3 buttons are not exactly in place..maybe i will open it again someday to fix them :)