Author Topic: "spyware" in mouse, keyboard software  (Read 2487 times)

Offline typo

"spyware" in mouse, keyboard software
« on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:40:10 »
I am a programmer. I have recently looked at software from most manufacturers. I will not name names. all of them included what would be considered "spyware","malware". from a simple registration nag even once uninstalled. to reporting how many times you clicked each button. of course nothing truly malicious but I still feel it is an invasion of privacy. does not really matter anyways. if you are using windows the os is doing a whole lot of the same. I know this is a heated subject so let's please keep it cool.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Re: "spyware" in mouse, keyboard software
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:47:21 »
I'd be curious about the names involved in this one.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:50:45 »
lets just say it is all the names you know. I don't feel like calling anyone out because what they are doing is legal and all I need is to get sued for defamation. how about this. install your fav software and use a packet sniffer.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:54:17 »
How is it defamation if it's true? Only speak the truth in what you know and say and call them all out.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:55:27 »
In Soviet Russia keyboard taps you.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: &quot;spyware&quot; in mouse, keyboard software
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:56:21 »
Um Razer??

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 03:24:43 »
Another reason to use GNU/Linux!

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 06:27:29 »
i switched from linux to mac os btw
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 07:50:18 »
Enjoy Apple spying on you. ^,~

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 15:40:40 »
Razer doesn't even try to hide their spyware, the sell it as Synapse and some people seem to like it.
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 15:45:54 »
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 18:00:25 »
this should not surprise you guys. in fact most software you download/buy does this today. in some manner. this is for marketing purposes. I personally think it sucks but someone is spying on you somewhere. at least the legit companies(all mice I tested) are not grabbing personal info. they want to know things like what games you play. NVidia and ati do the same exact thing. that way they know what to market to us. like it or not. of course if you are pretty advanced with computers you can strip this functionality. I just pointed it out because I am against "big brother". this is a fact of life in 2013 though.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 03:24:04 »
in fact most software you download/buy does this today.

Tell me about it.

Offline vineoneo

• vineoneo
    • voyage en birmanie
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 03:40:52 »
you can use the virtual keyboard in windows

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:07:23 »
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:16:31 »
I am a programmer. I have recently looked at software from most manufacturers. I will not name names. all of them included what would be considered "spyware","malware". from a simple registration nag even once uninstalled. to reporting how many times you clicked each button. of course nothing truly malicious but I still feel it is an invasion of privacy. does not really matter anyways. if you are using windows the os is doing a whole lot of the same. I know this is a heated subject so let's please keep it cool.

So my Model M and basic MS PS/2 mouse connected to a Linux box running zero drivers from the OEMs seem pretty safe.

Although, I must admit I did wonder what the heck a mouse NEEDED a CD for, anyhow.  For that matter, CPU coolers come with driver disks these days. Now I know why.

Thanks,

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case