Author Topic: What type of Monitor you use? (ergo for the eyes)  (Read 13850 times)

Offline Lammie

What type of Monitor you use? (ergo for the eyes)
« on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 13:19:27 »
Thinking about that the monitor nowadays replaced what used to be paper on a typewriter. I find the type of screen used on monitors very important. Because we usually sit for hours behind the computer.

I had had a new Samsung LED 23 inch monitor about 8 months ago. Really couldn't stand the flickering in my eyes. :mad: Just after 15 minutes my eyes started to hurt and get irritated. So I ended up selling it. Bought a 17 inch NEC LCD screen (TN panel) with CCFL backlight and another 19 inch EIZO TFT-LCD (P-VA panel) screen with CCFL backlighting. Now, really no complaints anymore. No LED backlighting for me for sure, except for the new LED non-flicker technology (BENQ). But haven't tried those.

Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vvp

Re: What type of Monitor you use? (ergo for the eyes)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 13:44:08 »

Offline Lammie

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 13:46:12 »
Had one of yours in 23 inch..Nice IPS panel and great colours. But couldn't stand the flicker...Some people are more sensitive than other though.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 13:58:49 »
I do not see any flicker in Del U2412M. May be it is different from the 23" model you had or I'm not that sensitive.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:20:57 »
The flicker can be seen if you use a digital camera (mobile phone) and put it in front of the screen. You'll see the screen 'refreshing' continuously..Because the LED's are put on and off at a very very high pace to mimick the dimming of lightbulbs..
But no problem if you're not sensitive for it.  :)

I remember having light red eyes, irritated, dry and tired eyes just after 30 minutes. On the 'older' LCD screens without LED I can watch for 8 hours, still fine.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vvp

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:43:03 »
Hmmm, does not work with N7100 PAC MAN ROM. No flicker on the camera. Maybe I need a better phone :D
When I used CRT monitors I needed at least 85Hz refresh. I never had any problem with LCD I used.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:45:55 »
Should work with every phone :) What kind of monitor do you use?
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:46:25 »
I have a Philips 29" LED 298P4QJEB as my main monitor, it's a 2560x1080 (21:9) monitor. Great for running multiple windows when I do work or to see more when I play games.
For my secondary monitor I have a vertical oriented Eizo Flexscan S2201W which is perfect for reading magazines, web pages or manga.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline vvp

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:48:46 »
Del U2412M.

Edit: Maybe the camera application has some time averaging so it does not work as flicker detector.

Philips 29" LED 298P4QJEB - looks like good for wide screen gaming :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:57:18 by vvp »

Offline engicoder

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:55:59 »
Dell U2412M is good enough and cheap.

I also recommend the Dell U2412M. Its  24" 16:10 1920x1200, IPS with reasonable color reproduction. It price well at about $300 (you can usually get it cheaper).  I doubt you can beat it with out doubling the price (except maybe those weird 27" Korean displays that are so popular on Ebay and monoprice).

Offline Lammie

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:57:03 »
Multi-tasking and bad memory don't go well together :rolleyes:

I find the Eizo really terrific to use. Regarded as one of the top brand monitors along with NEC. But find the Eizo slighty better build in quality, although models may vary..
Does your Eizo screen when set on paper/text mode also turn pinkish...
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline Lammie

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:02:34 »
Had the 23 inch Dell monitor you're speaking of, but went back to 17 and 19 inch. with 4:3 and 5:4 ratio's..That is the old school square monitor version..Find it nice when using ms word to write on. Also, the resolution can be put high and translatable onto the screen, and the monitor can be put in an arm length distance. Having a 27 inch just about 60cm in front of my eyes, sounds really bad for the eyes..At last, I make the text appear larger through screen settings.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vvp

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:05:24 »
Had the 23 inch Dell monitor you're speaking of.
The monitor I'm speaking of is 24". It may be similar to what you are talking about but definitely not the same. At least the screen size is different. I posted a link to the review of the monitor I have in my first post of this thread.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:09:10 »
It is the little brother of the 24inch you have. I had the Dell U2312HM from December 2013
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:12:57 »
Multi-tasking and bad memory don't go well together :rolleyes:

I find the Eizo really terrific to use. Regarded as one of the top brand monitors along with NEC. But find the Eizo slighty better build in quality, although models may vary..
Does your Eizo screen when set on paper/text mode also turn pinkish...

The paper mode makes the screen brownish, does some of the models turn pink? O.o
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline Lammie

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:18:57 »
What do you think of the brown reading mode for longer reading sessions (up to an hour or more)? I find it a bit odd...Does the brown colour mode really relax the eyes more, when reading text?

I have the: http://www.amazon.de/Eizo-S1921XSH-GY-widescreen-Monitor-Reaktionszeit/dp/B003IME06W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403986493&sr=8-2&keywords=eizo+s1921

Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vvp

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:21:43 »
I had the Dell U2312HM from December 2013
Right, that looks similar. Though I never saw it with my own eyes so I cannot compare. There is a chance they differ only in the size.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 22:27:38 »
I used a Benq VA monitor (GW2450HM).

However, most monitors these days use LED backlight, which is too bright for my eyes.

For my age, I am really worried about macular degeneration, thus I tried to reduce the blue lights from the monitor.
At first I used some software, like redshift and f.lux. These can change the color temperature of the monitor according to sunrise and sunset times. These are indeed helpful. I can feel my eyes less tired after long use.

However, my working space is located beside a window, and the natural lighting changes a lot during the day. Simply adjust color temperature for sunrise and sunset can not accommodate the rapid change of ambient light. Thus I have set up a system to monitor the light from the environment, and adjust the color temperature and brightness of the monitor accordingly.

69379-0

I use a webcam to monitor the environment light. The white plastic cap is used as a white balance filter. Then calculate the brightness and color temperature of the ambient light, and called redshift to adjust the brightness and color temperature of my monitor. It worked rather well.

NOTE: If you need precise color, like photo editing or design or publishing, this approach will not work for you.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 June 2014, 22:32:30 by plainbriny »

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 22:56:34 »
That's cool plainbriny. I just use redshift with its default settings and let it choose it's own color based upon the time. That kind of setup is pretty interesting and should provide better results.

Seriously though guys, redshift/Flu.x is amazing. It might be weird at first but it should be pretty easy to get used to. If you have used it for a while try turning it off at night and see the blinding blue light - you will wonder how you used to live without it. As was mentioned, it can produce issues if you are doing image editing or other color sensitive work.

Offline Canut

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 04:04:48 »
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m.html

Same here.
It has the taller 16:10 ratio rather than 16:9; that alone must save me hundreds of line-scroll motions per day.
It's non-reflective -- although the matte treatment is quite aggressive and grainy when viewed up close (too close. At normal viewing distance it's OK).
It has an IPS panel, so viewing angles are excellent.
The OEM stand is highly adjustable (including portrait mode), although I'm now using a fully adjustable VESA arm. 
It has multiple up/down-stream USB ports.
And there's an additional speaker that also takes its power from the monitor.

I'm sure gamers wouldn't be impressed with the specs, but for my use it's been excellent.
I'm looking for a larger monitor, and would definitely consider a Dell again. Although my main criterion is screen height: Who wants to do actual work on a squashed screen shaped like a letter box?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 05:06:18 »
30" 16:10 IPS Dell...
Apart from the clouding (haven't seen any big LCD without so far) I love it!

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 June 2014, 05:09:54 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 05:54:51 »
For my main monitor I use an ASUS VG278HE 27'' 144hz monitor.

As secondary monitors I use two vertical ASUS VG278HE's.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 06:30:26 »
I have a Fujitsu P27T-6 since about 2-3 years. It's a good IPS panel, not being too expensive. Now there's a new model out, the P27T-7. The difference is that the display is thinner and has LED illumination. I like the look and feel of these models. Especially because  they're white, not black. I haven't seen the LED model for myself, but as i read it should not be bad. 
... ...

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 11:09:16 »
I use a 24" apple cinema display (that I got for free and then repaired)

Sadly, I have major flicker issues with most monitors, It's not as bad with this current one. For a while, I had to use CRTs almost exclusively, since I could put them up to 85Hz or higher.

I would like to get one ofthose cheap 27" ones, but every time I look at an iMac I cringe. I can see flicker from the back light, and if the panel isn't displaying something that's pure white or black, it looks like it's "swimming" to me.

If anyone has a recommendation of r a"flicker free" panel, I'm all eyes. With some saving, I might be able to get it someday.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 11:26:04 »
I have a Korean xstar. 27" 1440p. Does 120hz without issue. Has some backlight bleeding though that is obvious on an all black screen. Lucky for me I don't notice flicker so I love it.

Offline Amble

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:38:41 »
I just picked up the Acer B296CL 29" IPS UltraWide monitor, which should be here tomorrow.  The 21:9 aspect ratio is awesome.  I had a LG 29UM65 UltraWide and it was really nice having the extra horizontal space, especially in BF4.  I returned that one due to a horrible stand and one stuck sub-pixel that was right in the center of the monitor.  Plus, the Acer has a three year warranty, whereas the LG only has one year.  Also, the Acer's stand looks to rival the quality of Dells and the matte finish is a plus.  It is a nice compromise between a 24"(1920x1200) and 27"(2560x1440) and doesn't impact your GPUs performance all that much... about 10-15%.  It doesn't have the PWM backlight conrol, so no flickering also.

Good in-depth review: http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/acer-b296cl-p17459/test.html
On sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009554&cm_re=acer_29-_-24-009-554-_-Product

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:46:32 »
If you want to be happy with a cheap monitor, don't ever use a high-end unit, you'll NEVER be satisfied with a bargain-basement monitor. Once you go upscale, stepping down is so painful you will refuse to do it.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:59:11 »
I use a triple-monitor setup with a Dell U2711 in the center flanked by two HP ZR2440w screens. For task lighting, I have two double-cone long-reach engineering-type articulated swivel-base lamps with 40-watt spot lights. This setup has worked well for me, enabling me to spend long hours at the computer without eyestrain.

Offline myrddin

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 07:22:03 »
Biggest ergo thing related to monitors that has helped me is f.lux. The only downside is I can't have it while I am reformatting :(

Actual screens are 3x benq's 24s at home, and 3x 22s dell screens at work.
Always prefer wider to bigger, I don't like having to handle resizing large windows, but I love having a window for each context - ie, my ide / browser / running applications each have their 'screen' - or uat / qa / production when I log into client rdps, etc.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 10:25:58 »
3x Dell U3014's

I can't stand f.lux. Any time my screen has an even slightly warm temperature my eyes start aching and I get a headache. It really, really sucks.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 10:49:55 »
I use 8 assorted CRT monitors in my personal computing laboratory.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 14:31:31 »
I use 8 assorted CRT monitors in my personal computing laboratory.

It's like you're tanning, with CRTs..

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 22:20:41 »
I use two 21.5" HP zr22w monitors, IPS with CFL backlight.  My eyes do not like extended periods on crappy laptop screens, and I think possibly TN screens.  I'm not sure if it's the display technology, or the backlight technology.  All I know is that the IPS/CFL combo works for me for very extended periods.  I've been on my computer all day and sped days on this thing, since I'm in a rut editing. 

Life's been difficult for me lately so I don't get things done the way I should and I end up using all of my day in front of the damn monitors.  :( 

I've got to get this done so I can go out and shoot...  :'(

Anyone know if IPS vs TN or CFL vs LED is the main cause of eye strain?

Thankfully I read that long hours in front of a monitor doesn't really damage your eyes.  It will weaken them though, so flex your eyes by looking far away as often as possible, back and forth. 

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 22:50:18 »
qnix 27" IPS isn't to bad... Colors are great with a little work and it runs at 100hz no problem.
Input lag is pretty bad for gaming, but if you're not gaming...

I've got a BenQ XL2720Z as well. It's amazing for fast paced FPS, but color and color shift are freaking bad!!!
It's to be expected with TN panel, but good lawd it's rough. I only use it for Counter Strike so no worries. I have
noticed if I'm done playing and start checking emails and GH with the BenQ, I get eye strain... I can play CS for
hours with no problem, but as soon as I start browsing the internet (about an hour or so) it hits me... Now if I
jump over to my qnix after CS, I get no strain... Could all be in my head! lol

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 22:52:20 »
60hz dell tn  :'(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 03:23:31 »
Lenovo L201p has been a *very* pleasant surprise. It has a super solid stand, awesome viewing angles (quite a big deal, if you turn it into portrait mode) and I'm starting to like 1600×1200 more and more.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 04:19:55 »
benq xl2420te

But im a total herb and have it connected to my laptop through HDMI so im missing out on that sweet sweet 144hz refresh rate :( . I should build another desktop...
sell out and eat ass

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:34:07 »

I also recommend the Dell U2412M. Its  24" 16:10 1920x1200, IPS with reasonable color reproduction. It price well at about $300 (you can usually get it cheaper).  I doubt you can beat it with out doubling the price (except maybe those weird 27" Korean displays that are so popular on Ebay and monoprice).

1920x1200 is the nuts.  I really miss those 120 pixels when I'm forced to use a monitor displaying "only" "... x 1080".

Mine is an old SyncMaster 245B doing a good job since quite some years. No games, no videos. It's only for work + email + forums so I've got no idea how "good" or bad it is color-wise and refresh-rate-wise etc.

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:42:42 »
My secondary monitor is a random LG TN monitor I found that has hookups for TV and N64 as well as the computer. And my primary monitor is the Dell U2412HM. I use f.lux and it's been lovely.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:37:49 »
benq xl2420te

But im a total herb and have it connected to my laptop through HDMI so im missing out on that sweet sweet 144hz refresh rate :( . I should build another desktop...
WOMP WOMP WOMP  :))
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:48:35 »
Dell U3014, and a U2412M in portrait. Though I really wanted to trade it in for an LG 34UM95.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 00:51:55 »
Three 22" LG Flatrons, 1650x1080 resolution

Won't be upgrading until 2k/4k res becomes as standard as 1080p is today.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 06:28:26 »
U27123HM for me.  Lovely IPS colours won it for me and the step up from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 was great for gaming too.  I read lots about possible issues about this before I bought it but got the company I was buying it from to check it over thoroughly before sending it and it was fine on arrival :)  Can definitely spend all day looking at it too without issue (as I have been doing recently marking exam papers)
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:14:40 »
Dell U2413, but almost most definitely (in a week or so) buying the BenQ BL3200PT, taking my Dell to my work's office. Even considering buying two BenQ's, but can't connect them to my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro :-( Oh well, more money for another KB :-D
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 09:49:32 »
I have serious eyeball pain problems so I had to take drastic action.

I only use monitors of 60" or higher (though I am toying with the idea of getting a small 50" Plasma for watching videogames on).

I got a Samsung 61" DLP monitor before the Chinese Olympics so I guess that makes it 2008.  It was one of the very first DLP monitors to feature a LED backlight.  It was tremondously dramatically more energy efficient than the old DLP monitors with traditional backlights.  I was surprised that it took the LCD monitor market so long to catch on to LED backlighting.

This monitor either A: does not have flicker or B: it simply does not bother me.

If you live in the Houston area feel free to come by and try out my monitor and tell me if it bothers you.

I sit back several feet away from my monitor to ease the strain on my eye muscles.  Aaaaaah....

For those of you with eyestrain problems the easy solution is to do what I did and drop the banhammer down on any website that forces you to stare into a BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT.  Switch all your websites and all your software to BLACK BACKGROUND mode.  If they won't let you do that then ban them.  The difference to your poor overworked eyes is quite amazing.

They are your eyeballs.  Do whatever it takes to save them.  Or die.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 09:58:59 »
White doesn't bother me, thanks to a combination of reduced brightness in hardware, Redshift and dim light in the room. Oh, and breaks. Breaks do help a lot. Make a cup of tea, pisscall, etc. When I was a kid, I thought I'd be blind by 20, because of lots of gaming in the dark even with a decent LCD. Well, I'm not blind yet and never have even red eyes anymore.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 09:14:43 »
doesn't matter now since most are using this tech, but if you're using dual or tri screen and your monitors are on the sides (or even up down) you must get ips tech. otherwise you end up unconciously straining your neck going, wtf i can't see ****!

Offline vvp

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 10:04:45 »
There are also some good TN monitors which have acceptable angles. The problem with TN is that some (or maybe most) of them are a complete **** as for as viewing angles. If somebody wants to use a TN monitor in portrait it is important to see what its viewing angles are before buying.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 17:54:54 »
Thus I have set up a system to monitor the light from the environment, and adjust the color temperature and brightness of the monitor accordingly.

This sounds very cool for your particular situation. Every once in a while I'll need to switch to Photoshop or something at night and will have to turn off Flux in order to judge color — boy is it painful. I can't recommend Flux enough. That intense blue-shifted light is just murder on the eyes late at night.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 18:00:00 »
I’ve been really enjoying the Dell UP2414Q. My laptop can only drive it at 30Hz, but the incredible sharpness more than makes up for the lower frame-rate. 184 ppi in a 24" screen is night-and-day better than the dominant ~80–120 ppi desktop displays of a few years ago. Even just for reading text it’s very nice: everything is crisp and detailed.

At some point I’ll hopefully get a desktop machine that can drive this at 60Hz, and make full use of it.

Hopefully within the next few years we’ll see more ~200 ppi displays at 27" and above, with less outrageous prices than the upcoming 27" Dell. 5120x2880 would be awesome, but $2500 is a bit steep still.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 October 2014, 18:08:53 by jacobolus »