Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 405642 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2450 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 17:45:06 »
understand what you're saying there, and it is definitely worth a try, however, why would it be crashing at random points in time if it is a problem with dependencies. it loads up perfectly fine, and sometimes will work for a decent period of time (very rarely), but it almost always crashes at some point, even when i have not given any user input to change anything. is discord trying to do something in the background? if it is, why does it sometimes work for a good amount of time, and sometimes not Į\_(ツ)_/
It may only be crashing when it makes a specific call to that resource/dependency or another program steals a specific resource/dependency it needs.

The Appimage is probably your safest and easiest thing to try but ultimately I'd point the finger at Discord.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2451 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 18:17:48 »
Just out of curiosity and laziness, I have both my desktop and laptop set to dual-boot into Windows and Mint Cinnamon, but generally use Windows.

In your opinion, which recent release of Mint is most superior for the casual user? I keep my Linux directories lean and clean, and could upgrade with minimum drama (aka trauma).
The most recent tends to always be the recommendation.
Mint is pretty consistent with user experience and interface, I didn't spend a lot of time in Mint 20 (just long enough to check that) but it all seemed the same. It's Mint (and Linux), nothing changes very quickly.

One thing I will recommend though is if/when you move more into Linux as your primary system is to get off Mint.
I love Mint, it's FANTASTIC for new Linux users but long term it's got a massive Achilles heel and that is updating to new versions. The upgrade from 16 to 17 was the last time it went remotely smooth for me on any system I've worked on and pretty much always required a re-install, I think it was 18-19 that even flubbed a fresh Virtualbox install upgrade I did as a test. I just don't get it, I know of no other distro that consistently screws this up, which is all the more unacceptable considering Mint is the distro of choice for people coming from Windows and that Linux makes it so darn easy to backup and move your data. Most people who left ended up on an Arch based distro which doesn't use distro version updates.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2452 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 19:18:26 »

pretty much always required a re-install,

For now, I don't keep anything of value in the core Mint ecosystem for long. Generally I have various internal and external hard drives where everything important goes, and so any new OS installation goes onto a new hard drive bought fresh for the project. These days hard drives are cheap enough that springing for a new one for the OS every 2-3 years seems like a no-brainer.

ďThe mass of Trump companies is justifiably called Byzantine. Itís a deliberate labyrinth of connections, some of them intended to maximize Trumpís tax benefits ó like the company that supposedly owns Trumpís planes and leases them to the other companies, all of which are just Trump, allowing for a double-dip on deductions. Other companies seem to exist for no purpose other than to make investigating Trumpís finances more complicated and more difficult to penetrate.Ē
Ė Marc Sumner 2019-05-19

Online yui

« Reply #2453 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 00:39:49 »
i had the same experience with OpenSuse leap, keeping the /home in a separate partition helps a lot with not losing much though, and having switched to tumbleweed that problem is pretty much existent (rolling release, should never need to upgrade but i get huge updates everyday)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Altis

« Reply #2454 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:28:57 »
I'm still on Mint Xfce for most of what I do and it's by far the best distro and one of the best operating systems I've ever used. It's super fast, stable, and seems to just work with my hardware and software.

I still do use Windows 10 for certain software, though.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Keytrak (Blue Alps) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- G80-1800 (MX Blue) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad

Online yui

« Reply #2455 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 01:18:35 »
last update on Opensuse tumbleweed and steam made steam work fully :) i do not know for how long, but it does, right now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2456 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 20:37:49 »
We'd sort of standardised on CentOS (mostly for servers) at work and home, but since the debacle with CentOS 8 we've switched back to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is also more similar to Raspbian on my Raspberry Pis, so it's all good.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But thatís incorrect. Itís in HHKBís slogan, but when Americaís cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline KaptainKitsune

• Just a normal guy
« Reply #2457 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 07:38:34 »
I use Arch  :cool:. No particular reason other than the fairly minimal install (which immediately dies once I'm through with it)

Offline kizuna

« Reply #2458 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 20:39:00 »
I use Arch with gnome on my thinkpad and MX linux on my desktop Xfce. After alot of distro hopping I do like MX linux the best.

Online yui

« Reply #2459 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 07:49:41 »
do anyone ever tried to run an LTO drive on linux? i have trouble with MT, when i try to get the status of it i get activity on the wrong port on my HBA (HBA being an HP P800 and the LTO drive an HP Ultrium 448 on port 3 drive 0, i get activity on port 4 that has nothing plugged).
wondering if someone here tried and managed to make something like that work.