Author Topic: Dell Bigfoot NEW OLD STOCK- Dell AT101W, Battle cruiser 100% keyboard  (Read 15643 times)

Offline MC Qwerty

Dell Bigfoot
Some tell of a majestic keyboard that lives from a bygone era a keyboard so large that it is referred to the mythical Bigfoot 

So this keyboard is about the Dell AT101W or the Dell Bigfoot, at this point I think this keyboard is a bit of a classic in the community, outlined by Chryosran in this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJq434UYTA  in which he talks on how to linear mod this keybaord

which speaking of which:

Run Down
  • Dimensions: 472 × 213 × 49 mm
  • Weight: ruffly 1.4-1.5 kg
  • 106 Key Alps SKCM Black (NICCCCE!!!!! - stock switches)
  • Mine is new old stock
  • Everything is pre assembled
  • Keycaps - abs, colour grey and off white, black lettering, laser etched
  • PS2

What I put in:
  • Put in some white alps clickers and stems (SKCM)
  • Made some of my switch's linear
  • Lubed some of my switches

Switches:
(Note this keyboard is really easy to mod you can open these switches on the plate) Well theirs quite a few switches I changed around in here but lets start out with the:

Alps SKCM Black - tactile, well not that tactile subtle tactile not almost linear and can't decide on which it wants to be and makes it honestly awful *cough* MX Brown*cough* I kind of like it actuates at 70gf and it feels not as tactile as a zealous but I gotta say its pretty nice although the sound is a bit hollo in my opion.

Alps SKCM White - clicky, metallic - 10/10IGN, I'm just kidding, although if I am honest these switches are one of my favourite clicky switches why - well a couple of reasons:
1. NO ping this is small things but often buckling spring keyboards have an annoying ping these switches don't
2. Very tactile and a lovely switch, personally I find them superior to a Zealiostatle switch
*Play dramatic music*

3. The click - OMG it's STUPENDOUS as far as my current clicky switches this is one of my favourite switches when it comes to sound its perfect as far as I am concerned for now (until I find something even better) its a fantastic metallic high pitch click that I feel works well with ABS keycaps.

*You can stop the music for now ;)*

Alps SKCM Black Linearised - SMOOTH linear - as far as I am concerned this is one of my favourite linear switches by far more superior than cherry  mx red or black in gaming TYPING yes a linear switch that I enjoy typing on, this is a very strange eventuality normally I dispose typing on  cherry mx red, I can stand black but don't enjoy it much - why? To scratchy, unstable, monotonous and just not fun, BUT the alps linear these switches they are smooth, smoother than a hot knife through butter especially when lubed, because they are alps they are very stable switches, and when you slowly push down the switch you can get a slight tactile feeling (still better than MX brown).

Looks and features:
Vintage - its pretty in my opinion hitting that retro look with it reminding me of those old monolith PC with their windows doss getting.
Note this only has 2key roll over

For displaying weather the cap lock, num lock or scroll lock are on in the corner their is a panel which has 3 green LED's which light up when any of these buttons are enabled.

Bezels and curves this keyboard is the king when comes to bezels and curves, I think its design is fantastic it makes good use of these curves and bezels,  I think the curve is ergonomic and nice especially with the keycaps, but if that curve is not steep enough for you you can stick out the two feet, they have one fixed possessions when extended and are relatively strong, however there is no grip on these feet and if I am honest the grip on this is lacklustre so I would recommend getting some stick on grips and cut some to the size of the feet.

Other notes:
Their are 3 funnels for the cable
The cable is fixed
The board is fixed by clips and screws

Conclusion:
I think this keyboard is a great keyboard if your just starting out with a mechanical keyboard or your interested in getting a good gaming board or you want to try out clicky, linear and tactile switches and when choosing between this (Dell at101w £49 new old stock) and the Corsair K66 mechanical keyboard(K66 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — CHERRY® MX Red (UK) £69)  I would definitely go for the Dell AT101W due to its easiness to mod and get into the
community but it doesn't have the following, RGB red, Cherry stems (although their was a group by for cherry stems to work with Alps switches so this is kind of null but they cost a bit), N-key roll over which might be a problem if you play combo intensive games such as overwatch otherwise not to bad. So yeah if you intend or are already a member of the community I would definitely recommend this keyboard for you.

Sub note:
I think if their is a song that matches this keyboard it has to be the song by the Notorious Biggie Smalls - Hypnotize

Also let me know what you thought of my review and if you have any questions feel free to leave them in the comments,
Thanks everyone and have a good week.
And enjoy this picture I found my friends cat doing this when I was taking pictures of the keyboard. :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 02:47:21 by MC Qwerty »
MC Qwerty

Offline MC Qwerty

Re: Dell Bigfoot NEW OLD STOCK- Dell AT101W, Battle cruiser 100% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:15:33 »
BTW if theirs anything I missed plz leave a comment, or if you have any questions feel fee to ask :)
MC Qwerty

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:19:11 »
I have a new one of these.  Fun to type on but I cannot use it for gaming. The hardware doesn’t support n key rollover.  In overwatch I cannot hit E or Q while running and jumping.  It’s problematic. 

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:20:04 »
Do you have a ps2 port on your computer/laptop
MC Qwerty

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:22:06 »
If you have a PS2 port I would recommend using it with that port because it allows genuine N-key roll over in theory, otherise I think you might want to get a zenith keyboard some of them have the ability to have genune N-key roll over as far as I am aware  also what switches do you use in your keyboard is it stock tactile, or linear or clicky?

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:25:48 by MC Qwerty »
MC Qwerty

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 20:11:38 »
Unfortunately it is a hardware limitation on this model.  Yes, I am using it with the PS2 port.  It has to do with the way the matrix is laid out and depends on the row and column you are in as to what will come out.

For instance, if I hold down "w" and "space bar" (moving forward and jumping), the keyboard will not register "e" or "r".  So, I cannot jump and move while using my secondary ability or reloading.  It will let me press "t", however. 

I'm going to guess that it has 5 key rollover if you happen to find just the right set of 5 keys. In reality it us usually less.  Again, a great board for typing, but not for gaming where you might need to press several keys at the same time.

The switches are the stock black alps (tactile).  I will probably try out some nexus sliders on this board when they arrive!
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2018, 20:14:15 by reececonrad »

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 21:26:52 »
TBH click modded skcm black click leafs sound better than skcm white switches

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 02:45:55 »
Yeah try out the sliders and please put up images and your thoughts, it would be really interesting to see how they turned up,(mx alps slider) have you tried the alps linear they are very nice, also I see the problem with that, might I recommend a zenith board some of them have N-key roll over and what mouse do you use for overwatch? (also corrected earlier statement)
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 04:13:15 by MC Qwerty »
MC Qwerty

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 02:48:51 »
TBH click modded skcm black click leafs sound better than skcm white switches
Yeah I guess its a matter of preference I also quite like the click of the click mod, but I had white clickers spare so I tried them out and I quite like them and TBH theirs not tones of difference
MC Qwerty

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 08:29:18 »
I've never actually owned a Dell but I have had many other Alps boards and they are by far my favorite switch. I now have multiple boards with PBT dyesubs, very uncommon for Alps.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 08:33:10 »
Yeah try out the sliders and please put up images and your thoughts, it would be really interesting to see how they turned up,(mx alps slider) have you tried the alps linear they are very nice, also I see the problem with that, might I recommend a zenith board some of them have N-key roll over and what mouse do you use for overwatch? (also corrected earlier statement)

For linear alps, I’ve tried these black switches with the leaf removed.  They were okay but not all that different from linear MX switches to me.  I have some SMK orange linear alps too but I have yet to build that board.  Again, they are nice but not all that different from mx linear. 

My favorite linear alps that I’ve tried are the green alps in my IBM pingmaster.  Soooo smooth. I wish they did not actuate quite as high up in the key press though.
I use a Logitech g502
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 08:38:11 by reececonrad »

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:10:52 »
I've never actually owned a Dell but I have had many other Alps boards and they are by far my favorite switch. I now have multiple boards with PBT dyesubs, very uncommon for Alps.

My god what boards did you find the keycaps on?
MC Qwerty

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:12:59 »

For linear alps, I’ve tried these black switches with the leaf removed.  They were okay but not all that different from linear MX switches to me.  I have some SMK orange linear alps too but I have yet to build that board.  Again, they are nice but not all that different from mx linear. 

My favorite linear alps that I’ve tried are the green alps in my IBM pingmaster.  Soooo smooth. I wish they did not actuate quite as high up in the key press though.
I use a Logitech g502

Hey I was planning on probably picking one of those up but the problem is shipping :( also do you have a converter for it? If so please show me in the direction of how I can make one or buy one, thanks
MC Qwerty

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:21:46 »
I'm pretty sure my NEC PC88 boards do as well as a Microterm board. There are a few others [that I know of] that exist as well such as original Dell AT101s, though they are much rarer than the ABS versions.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:40:28 »
Fair enough and would you know of any budget boards? in the price range of 30-60$?
MC Qwerty

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:41:29 »
Good luck. I got my Microterm for $40 but only because the place didn't realize that it was valuable. Otherwise they seem to sell on eBay for closer to $100.

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:46:38 »
Fair enough thanks for the info :)
MC Qwerty

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:53:11 »
Good luck. I got my Microterm for $40 but only because the place didn't realize that it was valuable. Otherwise they seem to sell on eBay for closer to $100.
BTW Blaise do you know of any reviews on Hako True if not, planning on writing a review on my new white fox which should come tomorrow with Hako true , what you think
MC Qwerty

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:08:25 »
None that I know of but I also haven't been looking.  :))

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:22:56 »

I use a Logitech g502

Hey I was planning on probably picking one of those up but the problem is shipping :( also do you have a converter for it? If so please show me in the direction of how I can make one or buy one, thanks

I use Hasu's converter for it.  Converts the 4707 "pingmaster" to micro USB.  Very easy to program.  Ordering and programming instructions here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54706.0

For the board itself, you can buy from Mendelsons on eBay or directly on their website:

Japanese version: http://meci.com/ibm-6112884-japanese-keyboard-japanese-letter-typing.html

Chinese version: http://meci.com/nib-ibm-chinese-lettering-typing-computer-102-keyboard-letter-type-model-6113442.html

I went with the Chinese version because I didn't like the English keycaps mixed in with the Japanese set. 

Keep in mind these are SKCC green alps and not compatible with other SKCM/SKCL alps keycaps.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCC_Green

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:10:15 »

I use a Logitech g502

I use Hasu's converter for it.  Converts the 4707 "pingmaster" to micro USB.  Very easy to program.  Ordering and programming instructions here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54706.0

For the board itself, you can buy from Mendelsons on eBay or directly on their website:

Japanese version: http://meci.com/ibm-6112884-japanese-keyboard-japanese-letter-typing.html

Chinese version: http://meci.com/nib-ibm-chinese-lettering-typing-computer-102-keyboard-letter-type-model-6113442.html

I went with the Chinese version because I didn't like the English keycaps mixed in with the Japanese set. 

Keep in mind these are SKCC green alps and not compatible with other SKCM/SKCL alps keycaps.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCC_Green

Fair enough thanks man
MC Qwerty

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 15:58:27 »
Except for basically every Apple Alps keyboard ever :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 17:15:19 »

Well besides Apple of course.

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 06:04:32 »

Cool thanks Chyros
MC Qwerty

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 06:05:51 »
Oh by the way Chyros you mentioned about recycling centres in your videos would you know of any in Kent or London?
MC Qwerty

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 07:46:03 »
Oh by the way Chyros you mentioned about recycling centres in your videos would you know of any in Kent or London?
No, unfortunately.

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 08:37:14 »
Oh well, anyway loved the BIC video very funny
MC Qwerty

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 08:40:59 »
I was actually thinking of doing keyboard reviews, but ended up deciding it would be too much work.  :-X

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 09:03:20 »
I was actually thinking of doing keyboard reviews, but ended up deciding it would be too much work.  :-X
Yeah not sure I can recommend it, every video takes between 6 and 24+ hours to make xD .

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 09:03:32 »
I find doing written reviews takes only 2 hours from writing it taking pictures and putting it up and putting in images from Imgur and it gets easier each time and I find it best to write reviews about some of the more rare boards because they are quite interesting to do.
MC Qwerty

Offline Ejusdemgeneris

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 14:54:35 »

There are recycling centres in Kent. I tried to call one of them and asked if I can buy things from them and they said no.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:03:15 »
Recycling centers are weird. Some are more than happy to work with people, others will but are hesitant, and others just completely ignore any external parties.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:15:24 »
It's largely to do with safety.  They have machinery and heavy equipment in their facilities.  Not worth it to risk someone coming in and getting hurt. 

Also, they often have computer equipment in the same facility and are strict about not allowing random people to grab a computer that could hold sensitive personal information.

However, if you are persistent enough, you may be able to forge a way in.  I've done this when told no.  I explained that I was looking specifically for keyboards and (very very briefly) talked about the keyboard hobby community.  It just so happened that they sometimes gathered all of their keyboards on to one truck to ship out.  The day they had them all separated out she let me come and look.

Now, unfortunately for me the only thing of any value I found was a Taiwan made Quitekey.  (and that's probably only worth about $20, lol)

P.S.  DON'T FORGET YOUR KEYCAP PULLER if you get a chance to go.  I pulled up and realized I had left mine at home.  Felt like an idiot.  Improvised with some wire I found in my car.  Not the best cap puller.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 08:01:40 »
I don't even mean going in person. I've tried working with some digitally who wouldn't even work with me. It seems odd that I offer them far more money than the scrap material is worth, yet they won't budge. I lost a Green Alps board to the shredder because it "didn't work".