Author Topic: Country-specific sub-forums  (Read 2929 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Country-specific sub-forums
« on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:42:28 »
There are a lot of people joining from other countries (e.g. various European countries).

One question that gets asked a lot is "where is the best place to get a keyboard in country X?".

Is it of any value to have sub-forums for each country (or regional area - Europe, Oceania, US etc.) where questions like this can be asked?

Someone joining from, say, Germany might or might not be able to find a thread about where to buy keyboards in Germany in the general keyboards area, and often these sort of questions are asked in the new members area anyway, but if there was a Germany sub-forum then a new German member might think to look there first.

Not necessarily promoting the idea of language-specific forums - English would still be recommended in all sub-forums, so that all members can participate.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Country-specific sub-forums
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:43:56 »
I would say threads would be preferable. Just start a thread specific to a country. It'd be findable by search, and we don't have the community broken apart into different subforums.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:44:55 »
Ok.

The example I was thinking of: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39059.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sai

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 20:12:45 »
something like a sticky thread should be fine i think. people can always check the list especially for the new comers. just my opinion !  ;D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:08:36 »
Maybe a sticky with only links to each countries thread, so as to reduce amount of stickies.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 22:04:11 »
Maybe a sticky with only links to each countries thread, so as to reduce amount of stickies.

Like at the start of the GB forum - good idea!

Offline Sai

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 22:08:12 »

Like at the start of the GB forum - good idea!

+1 ;D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline linkz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 09:43:48 »
I would be alone in my country, Indonesia, lol

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 10:57:46 »
What about just a single subforum for "regional threads" where all the local threads are kept, instead of them being buried in the keyboards subforum, for example.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 13:12:08 »
What about just a single subforum for "regional threads" where all the local threads are kept, instead of them being buried in the keyboards subforum, for example.

Another good idea.  This would save accumulating stickies in another area.