Author Topic: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)  (Read 122275 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
[GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)
« on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:26:10 »

> ORDER FORM <      11/24/12 deadline,   $35 shipped (round1 finished)

Final plate design

old plate

What this is about

This is a metal plate that goes on top of the PCB of TKL sized keyboards to make the overall keyboard feel more solid. Since most TKL keyboards already have a plate, why would you need this one? Because it was designed so that you can take the switches apart without having to desolder the whole switch first. Stock plates do not have the little notches at the sides of of the switch to allow them to open up. Many mods (lubrication, stabilizing stickers, swapping springs, stems, or complete switches) require that you desolder every switch to pull them out, do the mod, then resolder all of them back. This is rather tedious and require desoldering/soldering equiment every time you want to change something. This plate allows you to skip that step. This plate also allows to you choose between Costar stabilizers or Cherry stabilizers. The idea was inspired by the custom Phantom project.

Material will be 1/16" aluminum that I'll try to anodize myself.

Compatibility

This is a ANSI layout with 1.25x size bottom-modifiers, in a tenkeyless form factor. Filco and CoolerMaster quickfire TKL are pretty popular keyboards, so I measured this plate to fit those. There are other cutout holes to fit other TKL keyboards as well, but I'm still in the process of confirming those keyboards. It will also be compatible with phantom PCB. This might work for full size Filco and Rosewills, but I'll have to confirm that later. Here are all the models I'm trying to make this compatible with:
  • Filco TKL
  • CM Quickfire Rapid
  • Leopold FC200R
  • Ducky Year of the Dragon
  • HPE 87
  • Key Cool 87
  • PLU 87
  • KBT oni
  • Noppoo Choc Mid
  • Phantom custom
  • Filco/Rosewill 104 (maybe)

Requirements

The initial first time installation will require you to desolder all the switches, change out the stock plate, install this new plate, then solder all the switches back to the PCB. Tutorial on how to do that HERE so you can do it yourself. This also means you must buy some soldering equipment to do the job. I'm also willing to install these plates for you before shipping them out, but you need to first contact me for that. Here are the bare minimum that you'll need:
Ordering
This is NOT and interest check. I originally wanted this plate for myself, so the order will go through regardless of how many orders there will be. This also means that I'm not going to wait around for the normal group buy order times.

deadline:
Orders accepted through 11/24/12, payment deadline is through 12/01/12.
You can start paying now, up until the payment deadline. Anodizing and shipping will be done in the order of payment received, so the sooner you pay, the more priority you get.

plate cost: $35 for the 1st plate, $30 for additional plates. This is out-the-door costs, so it INCLUDES shipping. Nearly half the cost of this plate is from the 2 or 3 way shipping.

Other technical details:
The placement of the keys' position were based on mathmatically calculations based on key sizes. These are exact values, and I used a digital caliper to compare these values with an actual Filco PCB. The cut out holes are a tad more accurate than phantom's plate, but when actually making these plates, the tolerances of the machines will make the differences negligible. The hole placements for screws were physically measured with a digital caliper, so they should be accurate but not exact unless I have schematics to all the keyboards.

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2013, 12:34:00 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:26:34 »
*reserved for updates and order list*

UPDATE 11/27/12 prototype plate

Prototype bare plate

Plate overlay on top of a Filco just to verify all holes and cutout positioning. Haven't gotten the chance to solder switches and PCB on yet.

Here's a set of plate-mounted cherry stabilizer and costar stabilizers on the same plate, along with an empty stabilizer slot

Plate with switches, cherry stabilizers, mounted on a CM quickfire PCB.

Everything inside a closed quickfire case.

Same plate inside a closed Filco case.

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 09:28:43 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:53:02 »
FWIW, the plate design pictured is compatible with PCB mount Cherry stabs and plate mount Costar.  Plate mount Cherry requires a different shape hole (more is cut away).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:58:50 »
Cool idea! Did you prototype this first?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:16:25 »
FWIW, the plate design pictured is compatible with PCB mount Cherry stabs and plate mount Costar.  Plate mount Cherry requires a different shape hole (more is cut away).

This was the problem I had when trying to design the hybrid costar/cherry stabilizer. I only had PCB mounted cherry stabilizers available to do the measurements. Do you have measurements for it or take pic of what it looks like? I found part number online, but no pics. I'm assuming the extra area I'll have to cut out on the plate are the sides of the cherry mount holes?

Not yet, finalizing the design before I prototype.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:35:05 »
Is this why the notches aren't shown in the diagram in the OP currently?

Thanks for organizing this. One other question: Is this Phantom-PCB compatible? I want to use this in a QF rapid case.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:46:29 »
Notches are there... LZ  style.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:48:57 »
Oh good! Sweet! I'll make sure that I don't miss this buy!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:51:15 »

Thanks for organizing this. One other question: Is this Phantom-PCB compatible? I want to use this in a QF rapid case.

Are you talking about the notches for every switch? They're there, you just have to click on the pic to zoom in.

It's phantom compatible. Even says so in the title lol.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:56:33 »
Do want.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 23:33:49 »
Oh finally this exists! In for 1 for sure, possibly 2. Are you doing different colors?
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 October 2012, 23:35:31 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 01:02:37 »

Are you talking about the notches for every switch? They're there, you just have to click on the pic to zoom in.

It's phantom compatible. Even says so in the title lol.
Oh, I didn't realize the notches were being done this way. It makes sense now. I had thought I read somewhere about Phantom compatibility, but I didn't see it in the OP. I just needed to reread the title, I guess. Double fail on my part, sorry.

Anyway, I'm interested in one. I'll fill out the google document when it's available.

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 01:04:52 »
I like alu anodized :| if U like a phantom style :) we can use this file :D

6879-0

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 01:36:25 »
Want 3 for my filcos

I prefer phantom style might be able to ask biphiany to help with the plate should just need to modify the phantom plate slightly. As for getting them cut talk to the_beast

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 01:44:23 »
Want 3 for my filcos

I prefer phantom style might be able to ask biphiany to help with the plate should just need to modify the phantom plate slightly. As for getting them cut talk to the_beast

I was sent my file to the_beast :) but he said some issue on costa :|

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 01:49:00 »
Want 3 for my filcos

I was sent my file to the_beast :) but he said some issue on costa :|
on costa?
Sorry am i missing something?

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 02:03:23 »
costa stab :) some issue about thickness of plate :|

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 02:06:59 »
costa stab :) some issue about thickness of plate :|
hmm i got mine cut and i worked fine on my phantoms... (not through him though) I believe it was just 16 gauge stainless id have to look it up again to make 100% sure though

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 02:13:04 »
hmm i got mine cut and i worked fine on my phantoms... (not through him though) I believe it was just 16 gauge stainless id have to look it up again to make 100% sure though

oh, if it work on 16 gauge stainless :) I think no issue :D

PM the_beats for it :D I need one for my filco :D

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 02:37:21 »
Want 3 for my filcos

What's the difference between "phantom style" and the one I'm designing? They're functionally the same. Except, with the stabilizer cutouts on mine, it accepts cherry PCB mounts in both directions. Not sure if any TKL boards have backwards mounted stabilizers, but since this is "universal" I made it for backwards mounting too. Costar stabilizers can only be mounted in one direction though because of how the plastic clips are designed. Phantom plate can only support cherry/costar mounting in one direction.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2012, 02:39:42 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 04:50:13 »
Definitely 1.  Maybe 2.
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline balanar

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 06:57:48 »
Definitely in for 1-3 pieces!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 11:02:03 »
In for a solid one.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 12:16:04 »
In for sure, not such how many yet though.

I might need help installing too, not sure if I'm gonna DIY or if I need services from other GHers...but that's not until later lol

Thanks for putting this together WFD  ;D

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 15:44:18 »
I can do some desoldering/solder for people once these plates are out, ive been doing the process pretty regularly as of late.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 15:48:57 »
Want 3 for my filcos

What's the difference between "phantom style" and the one I'm designing? They're functionally the same. Except, with the stabilizer cutouts on mine, it accepts cherry PCB mounts in both directions. Not sure if any TKL boards have backwards mounted stabilizers, but since this is "universal" I made it for backwards mounting too. Costar stabilizers can only be mounted in one direction though because of how the plastic clips are designed. Phantom plate can only support cherry/costar mounting in one direction.
your holes for the switches look completely different to me and I just used to the Phantom style ones

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 16:56:12 »

your holes for the switches look completely different to me and I just used to the Phantom style ones

I don't think you're fully understanding how the cutout holes for the switches work. Doesn't really matter how they "look", it's the end function. A hole from the phantom has very small corner flaps and 2 large side flaps to hold the switch in place. You really don't need those middle flaps if you already have corner flaps to lock down the switch. What I did in this plate was completely remove the middle flap, and made the corner flaps larger. That's the only difference. The Korean LZ plates are designed like this too, without the unnecessary center flap. I did this so that possibly it could make the laser cutting a tad cheaper with a more simple design. When I get quotes, I'll see if there are any differences in price between the two designs.

blue = switch
red = top housing switch tabs
yellow = area of contact between switch and plate
dark grey = plate

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2012, 20:15:34 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 02:07:10 »
Works for me then. Since ive already got new plates for my phantom count me in for 3 stainless ones for my 2 filcos and a friends.

Offline Saviant

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 07:14:09 »
This sounds like what I wanted most from the phantom, I would be interested in 1 maybe 2 depending on what the cost will be.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2012, 09:28:46 by Saviant »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 18:49:55 »
I sent price quote rests to many local metal cutting companies, still waiting for responses from most. The closest one is beating around the bush with back and forth email before they're actually giving me a quote. A few companies have absurd prices, but here is the best one so far:

Price to lasercut one part would be $50

Price to lasercut 20 parts or more would be $23.50 each

Price is for lasercutting either 16 gauge aluminum or stainless steel and does not include material.

If you want to waterjet the parts take the laser price x 3. Normally waterjet is selected if the material is thicker than .375 SS, or .250 aluminum.

Normally we are not supplying material.

I'm trying to aim for $25 per plate, including material so I'll wait for quotes from other companies first before posting the google doc order sheet up.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 19:16:54 »
I sent price quote rests to many local metal cutting companies, still waiting for responses from most. The closest one is beating around the bush with back and forth email before they're actually giving me a quote. A few companies have absurd prices, but here is the best one so far:

Price to lasercut one part would be $50

Price to lasercut 20 parts or more would be $23.50 each

Price is for lasercutting either 16 gauge aluminum or stainless steel and does not include material.

If you want to waterjet the parts take the laser price x 3. Normally waterjet is selected if the material is thicker than .375 SS, or .250 aluminum.

Normally we are not supplying material.

I'm trying to aim for $25 per plate, including material so I'll wait for quotes from other companies first before posting the google doc order sheet up.

I've been trying to stay away from this thread just because I don't want to take away from your GB but when I saw those prices :(

I can get a single plate done for around $29, 3 for ~$27 and I'm guessing 20 would be around $18-$20 (in stainless, I'm guessing alum would be just a bit cheaper). If you want to collect all the money and make a single order to me I'd have no problem doing that. I'd ship all the plates you and you handle all the shipping
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 19:27:11 »
Yea was going to recommend beast but you know...

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 20:09:01 »

I've been trying to stay away from this thread just because I don't want to take away from your GB but when I saw those prices :(

I can get a single plate done for around $29, 3 for ~$27 and I'm guessing 20 would be around $18-$20 (in stainless, I'm guessing alum would be just a bit cheaper). If you want to collect all the money and make a single order to me I'd have no problem doing that. I'd ship all the plates you and you handle all the shipping

Well I was under the impression that you and/or the guy you're working didn't want to do several different plates at the same time. This was brought up when it was mentioned if you can also run a plate for PURE along with the poker plate, but you said that would happen until after poker GB finished around December, and you'll start another one around X-mas break. I don't think I can wait until late December or next year to just barely start a GB, and I didn't want to bug you about running another one right now. I figured I'll just start it right now.

Anyways, price that your guy gives is pretty cheap, but then there would need to be triple shipping costs factored in with the plate prices? Shipping from him to you, from you to me, then from me to everyone else. Seems a bit redundant. I'm sourcing local cutters first so that I can just drive there to pick it up and distribute the plates, a one way shipping cost. But if somehow you can get plates + 3 way shipping to be cheaper than what I can get them for locally, them I'm assuming that your last post was an offer to help out on these plates?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 08:59:34 »

I don't think you're fully understanding how the cutout holes for the switches work. Doesn't really matter how they "look", it's the end function. A hole from the phantom has very small corner flaps and 2 large side flaps to hold the switch in place. You really don't need those middle flaps if you already have corner flaps to lock down the switch. What I did in this plate was completely remove the middle flap, and made the corner flaps larger. That's the only difference. The Korean LZ plates are designed like this too, without the unnecessary center flap. I did this so that possibly it could make the laser cutting a tad cheaper with a more simple design. When I get quotes, I'll see if there are any differences in price between the two designs.

blue = switch
red = top housing switch tabs
yellow = area of contact between switch and plate
dark grey = plate

Show Image

What's most important, though, is that the top and bottom have full contact on the switch. It's where that plastic spring is, and where most of the holding force will be I'm less worried about side-to-side, as long as it's precise cutting so it won't move. The actual area doesn't mean that much.

Offline TDub

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:02:10 »
Very interessted in one maybe even 2.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 18:50:25 »
I'm currently still working out details with Beast to get these cut. Order form will be up soon.

What's most important, though, is that the top and bottom have full contact on the switch. It's where that plastic spring is, and where most of the holding force will be I'm less worried about side-to-side, as long as it's precise cutting so it won't move. The actual area doesn't mean that much.

No worries, that quick drawing is just a depiction of only the lateral contact points. The whole top and bottom of the switch is held by the plate in the actual cut. The top and bottom measurements for the switches is one aspect that this plate and phantom plate agreed on.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:32:18 »
Ok finally got a quote. These will be $35 per plate, shipping is included. Plate itself is not much, but the size of it requires a certain size box. Order time frame is only a little less than 2 weeks, and payment due date is 1 week after that. You can start paying now though, and anodizing/shipping will be in the order of payment received. Here is the google doc order form, and I'll also put all this info in the OP. My prototype is currently being made.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGdUUHZkaEswaUpJMi1MVENTWWJWWHc6MQ

Offline pasph

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:40:49 »
CONUS only or also international?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 16:04:13 »
International is ok, but I'll have to figure out shipping for that.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 16:28:42 »
How much more does anodizing cost?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:32:47 »
Hm...getting a plate from Dan, but why not have 2.
I love Elzy

Offline pasph

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 09:07:55 »
Paid
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 10:10:44 »
Would like to know this as well.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 14:13:28 »
Paid for blue anodized plate
I love Elzy

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 14:27:39 »
Is ISO Filco-TKL possible?
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 16:03:48 »
]Would like to know this as well.

I'm not too sure yet. I'm still in the process of getting all the equipments. But these will probably have to be anodized one by one, because anodizing requires several different baths and washes of different chemical/temperature. I do not have the space to set up a bathtub size container for full racks for every wash. Anodizing companies are pretty expensive because of the initial setup labor. I'm home-anodizing these so that it's cheap. But I really have no idea yet.

Is ISO Filco-TKL possible?
Possible, but not for this GB. Several switch holes are different, so it's going to be pretty expensive to cut 1 plate. If you're truly interested and willing to pay prototype costs, you can PM me.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:36:58 »
No ballpark on anodiziding costs? If it is more than $10 a plate I'll just take standard aluminum.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:58:02 »
Well he did say that it was an interest check. I'm sure if it ends up being too much later, you can opt out. But if you are interested, you should note so. Agree?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 19:52:29 »
I already put in for two plates and two anodizing colors. Was just trying to figure out anodizing costs so I could send money.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 20:10:58 »
Ah. I was under the impression that word be a separate charge if at all...