Author Topic: back to machanical  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
back to machanical
« on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 04:27:36 »
Hi all,
I've always been an input device freak and was wondering why there aren't more websites dedicated to the subject. Keyboard and mouse are the primary way we interact with the computer, in my opinion a good keyboard is more important than a powerful cpu :P

I was mainly a Mac (now Linux+Mac) user and always found the Apple wireless keyboard pretty good, until recently I started to feel a joint pain to the left thumb. I started looking for good alternatives and I ended up on geekhack, so I wanted to thank you for the great resource.

I desperately wanted a "clicky" keyboard but my main concern was the thumb pain, so I purchased a Filco Majestouch 2 tenkeyless with red switches. I choose red because I read that they are light and relaxing (no heavy gaming here, apart from occasional indie games which I enjoy quite a bit).

Well, the keyboard is simply amazing. After just 2 days my pain soothed and after a week almost vanished. The "problem" is that the keys are really light and I often mistakenly press 2 keys. So my dream remains to get the blue switches and I believe I'll get a Filco cherry blue when my hand completely recover. (even though those keyboards are darn expensive).

Next I'd like to convert the keyboard to wireless, I've found a couple of projects here on GH... maybe I'll take the courage and dismantle my precious Filco PCB...

Well, sorry for the long post. And thanks again
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 August 2012, 04:33:13 by Matt3o »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: back to machanical
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 05:13:45 »
Welcome to GH.

Give yourself some more time to get used to the MX reds and maybe you won't accidentally press keys as much? Or have you had it for a while? MX blues will definitely be better in that regard if you just can't seem to adjust to the reds.

Best of luck with the conversion to wireless. Interesting project that I don't think many would be able to take on.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 05:24:43 »
Give yourself some more time to get used to the MX reds and maybe you won't accidentally press keys as much? Or have you had it for a while? MX blues will definitely be better in that regard if you just can't seem to adjust to the reds.

thanks!

I have it just for a week or so now, I'll definitely give myself some more time to get used to the reds.

Best of luck with the conversion to wireless. Interesting project that I don't think many would be able to take on.

I have a cheap logitech keyboard somewhere, if the controller is not too complicated I'll try to put it into the Filco.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 22:56:26 »
Hey, welcome to GH. My first mech was an MX Blue board, and I absolutely loved it. I've moved on now to the MX Reds and I gotta say, I'm loving those too. Give them some time and you'll adjust.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 23:07:34 »
skip the blues and get a 45g topre :D
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 03:55:39 »
I'm definitely intrigued by Topre... but I'd like to test them first and don't really know where to find one over here.

Offline 486

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 04:29:02 »
If you want something clicky, get a model M. If you have a bit more money, get a Blue Alps. And if you won the lottery, get a Model F AT.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 04:55:26 »
Unfortunately I need a tenkeyless, that limits my options a lot.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 11:07:59 »
Model M SSK, kinda hard to run by, though P.S. was selling one not too long ago, it's still on hold but Idk if he has sold it or not. Check him out.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 03:09:39 »
I must say that after a couple of weeks on cherry red my error ratio drastically reduced and I'm completely satisfied by the feel. Unfortunately now I'm a keyboard addicted and I want to try more! I'd like to get a Topre next but I also like the Noppoo Choc Mini (or KBT) layout (with mx blue)... I'll probably end up getting both :)

I thing I noticed about the Filco is that the white text on black keycaps tends to get dirty very quickly.

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 18:24:48 »
Hello Matt3o,

Please leave now before you destroy all our wallets.

that is all.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 21:38:51 »
bruh
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 21:51:23 »
Voting to ban whoever bumped a 3 year old thread

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:37:19 »
Voting to ban whoever bumped a 3 year old thread

I don't know about that. It's kinda fun to see a little window into Matt3o's transition from keyboard-noob to his current demi-god status. It shows that even the most awesome among us had to start somewhere.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 01:23:34 »
I don't know him... it wasn't me!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 01:30:17 »
Just think, if someone had laid into him for that typo, our wallets would have been saved.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 03:45:16 »
You joined only a couple of months after me!

I guess I can kinda offer you a belated welcome :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ