Author Topic: Hello from MI  (Read 1968 times)

Offline _joe_king

Hello from MI
« on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 10:07:11 »
Hello gh! I keep hearing about this place in the mech community and had to finally see what all the fuss was about :) I fell into this money pit after typing on a friends ducky and immediately fell in love with mechs. First mech was a buckling spring unicomp m but with my rampant carpal tunnel, my hands would go numb after 20 minutes of typing. I moved to a keycool 87 with reds which I found to be too soft so I desoldered the switches and soldered up some browns while leaving reds on the modifiers apart from the hammerkeys (esc, space, delete) I went with heavier gaterons for those as I cannot simply press those keys like a normal person. Currently waiting on my b.face and working on a custom v60 build for a good friend of mine for Christmas. Also piecing together a phantom kit but that has been put on hold until I finish up the 60 and the b.face.

Hope everyone had a great turkeyday!

Offline f1xedgear

Re: Hello from MI
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 10:23:07 »
MI = Michigan? I'm from the West Michigan area, currently NOT enjoying the 15ºF temps this morning >:(

I'm also new to the community, and also busy throwing money down the bottomless pit as I build a B.face and hopefully a WhiteFox with Granite round 4 eventually...

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 10:45:19 »
Welcome.

-Another cold MI resident

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 14:12:46 »
MI = Michigan? I'm from the West Michigan area, currently NOT enjoying the 15ºF temps this morning >:(

I'm also new to the community, and also busy throwing money down the bottomless pit as I build a B.face and hopefully a WhiteFox with Granite round 4 eventually...

Correct! I am from the Flint area but currently live down in Three Rivers. I am so excited to get the b.face and solder it up!

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 14:13:16 »
Welcome.

-Another cold MI resident

Where abouts you from? Over in the Three Rivers/Kalamazoo area myself.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 20:26:08 »
Hi Joe, I've seen you a little bit over on /r/MechMarket so welcome fellow Michigander

Rep West MI!  The beer and beaches are awesome but the Evangelicals aren't as awesome here
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 20:41:51 »
Hi Joe, I've seen you a little bit over on /r/MechMarket so welcome fellow Michigander

Rep West MI!  The beer and beaches are awesome but the Evangelicals aren't as awesome here

Hey thank you! Between that place and this place, I will need a second job....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 04:04:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how long we can use a membrane keyboard without realising that there is a whole world of mechanical keyboards out there.

Sounds like you have jumped in with both feet, modified your own keyboard already :)

If you haven't yet, head over to the ergonomics section, I suspect there's more than a few threads about carpal tunnel, so you might pick up a few extra tricks.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 11:59:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how long we can use a membrane keyboard without realising that there is a whole world of mechanical keyboards out there.

Sounds like you have jumped in with both feet, modified your own keyboard already :)

If you haven't yet, head over to the ergonomics section, I suspect there's more than a few threads about carpal tunnel, so you might pick up a few extra tricks.

Thank you and thank you for the heads up! I will have to head that way and see what recommendations I can find that might help.