Author Topic: [GB] M2K Hybrid Keycaps - ENDED  (Read 5453 times)

Offline pRoDeeD

• MouseMods
[GB] M2K Hybrid Keycaps - ENDED
« on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 09:43:37 »

Hello Geekhack! I'm Daniel, I design and develop products for MouseMods. I'm super excited to share
our first keycap set with you. We call it M2K HYBRID, M2K being short for MouseMods Double-Shot
Keycaps. M2K HYBRID is a 24 variant keycap collection that aims to give you more freedom when
choosing your style without breaking the bank. The idea for this project came with a few goals in
mind, namely:

1. We wanted M2K HYBRID to offer versatility with as many keyboards and desk setups as possible,
whilst complimenting a variety of colourways with simplistic beauty.

2. M2K HYBRID had to be fairly priced with product quality and quality control we can stand behind.

3. As M2K HYBRID is designed to fit in with almost any desk setup we needed many variants (24, to
be precise) and we wanted all variants to be in stock regularly.

4. Of course, fitting into your color theme is not enough. The keycaps have to fit onto your keyboard
too! So whether you’re ISO or ANSI, Tsangan or standard bottom row, we’ve got you covered!

5. In addition to your current keyboard and desk setup, we want M2K HYBRID to work with your next
setup and the setup after that. As such, we are leaving the door open to new themes which will drop
right in and work with what we currently offer. By this, we mean new matching mousepads, keycap
novelties, keycap alphas, additional keycap compatibility kits and so on.

After all our hard work in meeting these goals, we can finally say that we're ready to share M2K
HYBRID with you guys! We couldn't be happier to share this and we hope you love it too.

Estimated Shipping Date: Mid Q3 2022

FEATURED KITS

24 VARIANTS

More

M2K HYBRID KEYCAPS

162 KEY LAYOUT

CHERRY PROFILE

M2K HYBRID DOUBLESHOT

1ST ROUND OF PRODUCTION SAMPLES

LET'S TALK THEMES

I’d like to address what many of you may have already noticed: the lack of a clear theme or novelties on
our M2K HYBRID keycap set. With the exception of our mousepads and wallpapers, we have tried to make
the M2K HYBRID collection very neutral. During product development we decided against a heavily themed
keycap set as we wanted our set to compliment as many keyboards and desk setups as possible whilst
achieving a fair price. If we were to make a heavily themed keycap set we would need to manufacture a
number of custom, inordinately expensive molds which would really be just for this one set. Compounding
this issue is that we wanted the feel, sound and durability of PBT keycaps which require much more
expensive molds than ABS keycaps. To reach a fair price, we decided to use a newly produced but pre-
existing mold which we can use for M2K HYBRID and more keycap sets in future.

We are all acquainted with the keycap sets revolving around a theme accented with unique novelties.
With the development of M2K HYBRID we wanted to explore a different approach, we decided the
keycaps should have many color variations which would create a foundation for an evolving theme
involving not just keycaps but also mousepads, cables, wallpapers and posters all designed, sold
directly through MouseMods. That being said, by no means do we exclude novelties! We would love to
offer drop in novelties which fit the theme of our mouse pads and M2K HYBRID in the future but for now,
it’s not the right time for us.

MOUSEPADS

By now our community knows us for our Sakura mousepad collection; as we move into manufacturing our
first keycap set we are also releasing a new mousepad collection to match! We had a lot of ideas on what
theme our newest mousepad collection should incorporate. After too many late nights and a few hundred
design iterations, we decided that we should incorporate the concept of exploring new horizons with endless
possibilities. We thought, “where better to explore than space?” With that thought in mind, we are happy
to unveil our Astro mousepad collection!

CABLES

SPECIFICATIONS

WALLPAPERS

In a constant effort to one-up ourselves, we asked “what else can we do to take your setup to the next
the next level?” Well, stunning animated wallpapers, of course! We have partnered with Bis Biswas and
Drioyard to make a set of themed wallpapers for your desktops, laptops and phones. We’re so excited
to see your setups come to life with these!

POSTERS

PRICES AND BUNDLES

UPDATES

15th June, 2022 - Group buy started
30th June, 2022 - Samples update!
More
08th July, 2022 - M2K Typing and soundtest
More

SPECIAL THANKS

DraconicVision#1337 for writing the BBCode in this post and providing technical support.
Ltafuri and Lizcuits for working with us on the renders.
Bis Biswas for working with us on the wallpapers and theme.
Drioyard for working with us on the wallpapers and theme.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 July 2023, 04:38:06 by pRoDeeD »

Offline pRoDeeD

• MouseMods
Re: [GB] M2K Hybrid Keycaps - LIVE!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 09:52:39 »
Reserved for GB updates.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 20:01:05 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 21:16:44 »
Do you guys have more proto photos, preferably just the caps straight on

Offline DraconicVision

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 03:47:39 »
Hyped AF for these to ship!

Offline VXQN

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 04:22:00 »
More (/any) photos needed. Would also be good to see some video/reviews. Does the "base kit" available on your website come with the UK ISO keys? Will you be selling through any other vendors?  I've never heard of MouseMods before so as a customer I would need a little more than just renders before I'm ready to send cash to an unknown.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 08:16:38 »
you offer 7u colored spacebar but no 7u alpha-colored spacebar :(

Offline pRoDeeD

• MouseMods
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 17:34:40 »
More (/any) photos needed. Would also be good to see some video/reviews. Does the "base kit" available on your website come with the UK ISO keys? Will you be selling through any other vendors? I've never heard of MouseMods before so as a customer I would need a little more than just renders before I'm ready to send cash to an unknown.

Yes, the base kit will include UK ISO keys.

Regarding vendors - We already have 3 warehouses. One in the UK, California and Shenzhen. That being said, if people are interested in us offering more vendors, it's certainly something we can look into.
The main reason for this decision is to keep prices low and make sure shipping hand handling goes smoothly. Many other vendors have more projects to handle, which could result in GB delays down the line.

We are working on more in-depth specs as we have just gotten new samples on our hands. This includes sound tests, reviews and more close-ups.
Expect an update shortly!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2022, 17:47:46 by pRoDeeD »

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 18:43:01 »
^

On another note, won’t ABS/PBT hybrid legends still yellow with sun exposure? I was kinda interested in WoB but dunno if I trust a white ABS mix to stay white. GMK Bleached PTSD.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline pRoDeeD

• MouseMods
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 June 2022, 07:00:29 »
^

On another note, won’t ABS/PBT hybrid legends still yellow with sun exposure? I was kinda interested in WoB but dunno if I trust a white ABS mix to stay white. GMK Bleached PTSD.

Good question!
 As with most plastics and materials, UV light and long-term exposure to the sun will always be our enemy. We can not guarantee that you won’t be able to notice a slight difference in the whites between a brand new and an old M2K Hybrid keycap after being exposed to the sun for an extended time.
That being said, we have done tests on this and have not seen any concerning differences in the colours changing over time.
Because of the Hybrid mixture of ABS and PBT (above 60% PBT), the yellow tint you often associate ABS keycaps with having is very far from the minor colour variations we have been able to reproduce with UV light.

If more people are interested in these results, I will try and provide some images showing the difference.

Offline pRoDeeD

• MouseMods
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 18:26:34 »
1ST ROUND OF PRODUCTION SAMPLES IN BOW AND WOB
As requested, here is some photos of the prototypes we have on hand. Outer shell is PBT and inner shell is 60% PBT and 40% ABS

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2022, 18:31:05 by pRoDeeD »

Offline pRoDeeD

• MouseMods
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 15:37:10 »
M2K Hybrid typing and soundtest by Draconicvision.

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2022, 14:21:31 by pRoDeeD »

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 February 2023, 11:40:58 »
Any updates on this?

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 February 2023, 14:44:41 »

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 February 2023, 15:17:03 »
huh.... I don't recall getting my money back, but maybe I just missed the notification, hahaha.  I'll have to look into it.

edit: yup I was refunded - all is good.  sad about the caps though =(
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 February 2023, 15:19:47 by //gainsborough »